Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times

Advertisements

OK, I have to add that the sun's appearance is lopsided in western WA, dramatically changing between summer and winter.

Winter: Being this far north, the sun creates a short arc of travel in winter, meaning later sunrise and earlier sunset than in most of the US. Add in gray cloudy sky and frequent drizzle or rain, and the days are pretty dark overall--in winter.

Summer: For the same positional reason, the sun creates a long arc of travel in summer, meaning ridiculously early sunrises and late sunsets. Add in generally sunny weather and the change to very long daylight stretches can be overload. There are nights when I think, "It's 9:45 pm. It should be dark now!" Nope, not really dark till an hour later. And then the sky turns light at like 4 am...

I think reaction to the differences in amount of daylight depends a lot on the individual. I like the less pronounced seasonal swings between hours of daylight that are found in midlatitude US. But YMMV. Good thing it's another case of different strokes for different folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 03:07 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
^^^This is a very good summation, & it's hard to realize how it will effect you, until you live in it for awhile. I might add that if you live near mountains, (at least on the OP), even if the sun is out in winter, it's behind the mountains by 4 p.m. by winter solstice, bringing on the dark on even earlier.

I do like the long summer days, but it's harder when you are working...I had to buy blackout drapes for my bedroom...and my dogs want to go out & party at 4:30 a.m.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:12 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS1993 View Post
Though I may be late to the ball game let me say this about the "depressing" nature of Washington State. As a native Southern Californian who calls WA his second home the lack of sunlight can be a little unsettling. This is especially true if you come from a desert community in SoCal. I recall on a month long visit while courting my wife I believe the sun came out a total of two days for about two hours. Yes that was it!!!! As for rain that too can be a little uncomfortable coming from an individual born and raised in a desert climate. In fact on a long visit it rained pretty much straight through the day for two long weeks. Yes two weeks of steady and easy rain.
With that said I have to admit that there is an adjustment process that must take place that I didn't believe existed despite all the advice given by my wife. You have to revel in the lack of sunlight and enjoy the precipitation when it hits hard. You have to do as the "Romans" do and enjoy some coffee with the clouds and rain. Just let it happen and realize you will not be viewing the sun for a very long time. However when summer hits; oh man is WA awesome!!!!!! You cannot beat a summer in Washington State!!!
Agree with you 100%...and totally relate!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
^^^This is a very good summation, & it's hard to realize how it will effect you, until you live in it for awhile. I might add that if you live near mountains, (at least on the OP), even if the sun is out in winter, it's behind the mountains by 4 p.m. by winter solstice, bringing on the dark on even earlier.

I do like the long summer days, but it's harder when you are working...I had to buy blackout drapes for my bedroom...and my dogs want to go out & party at 4:30 a.m.
In my case, our former home in CO was ensconced between steep ridges. In winter, the sun dropped behind one ridge as early as 2:15 pm (meanwhile still golden late day in Denver), and it rose over the other ridge after 10 am. Here, the winter sun drops behind a nearby hill and houses at...2:15 pm also. The winter sun rises over the horizon at, oh, maybe 7:45 to 8 am; it's hard to say exactly when, because it is usually overcast then anyway.

I actually don't mind the shorter winter days here because it just doesn't get that cold, nothing like what we were used to.

Like you, I find it is the long summer days, ironically, that make it hard to get enough sleep. Ironic, because I like sun. I never saw early sunrise at our old home because the ridge to the northeast blocked it from blasting me, even in summer. It was much easier to fall asleep at a reasonable hour also. The sun set earlier, plus there was that ridge on the west/southwest.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:29 AM

844 posts, read 1,442,432 times
All the Washingtonians AGGRESSIVE, DEPRESSED, replies, scared all of the non-Washingtonians who live in the deplorable state to reply to the thread and give their opinions in the rain capital of America.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:33 AM

844 posts, read 1,442,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Vegas is depressing. It's super ugly and I can't even breathe there.
Washington looks like the setting of a horror film and you know it Botev.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
All the Washingtonians AGGRESSIVE, DEPRESSED, replies, scared all of the non-Washingtonians who live in the deplorable state to reply to the thread and give their opinions in the rain capital of America.
Well, I'm certainly glad to hear that YOU won't be coming here.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:08 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Defensiveness isn't necessary.

It's just a discussion.
Quote:
Quote:
Washington looks like the setting of a horror film and you know it Botev.
Hey pgrdr,

Are you sure that this is "just a discussion"?

Old 05-28-2016, 10:12 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
Please no pics of that damp wet stuff. October will come here eventually. This past week has been bad enough.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
This is probably taken in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington