Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 06:49 PM

486 posts, read 842,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I read a study somewhere, where a survey was done and it was found out that the average Washingtonian owns at least 5 umbrellas.

Nice view for the FERRY RIDERS
Yea, brutal....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 01:46 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
The pic above is abhorrently brutal, huh?

Old 06-28-2016, 02:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
Ha! you are not keeping current on trends!

Umbrellas are having a large resurgence of popularity for dayhikes in Wester WA.
When you are facing 6 hours of slogfest hiking on a rainy day, even goretex will soak through, to say nothing of the pelting of rain on your jacket hood and face just wears you down after a few hours.
And of course, being a Real Washingtonian, you are not about to cancel a hike for rain, because otherwise you would never hike. Many people are discovering umbrella hiking as a nice alternative. And you can often skip wearing a rain jacket which gets soaked from the inside on the steep trails that are the norm.

I have zero regrets living in western WA for over 30 years. I certainly adapted to the soggy conditions with an active outdoor lifestyle. But my wife and I are needing a sunnier change of pace for our next chapter, and are moving on.
Few people would go hiking in those conditions. That's for fanatics, only. With the exception of an El Nino year like WA just slogged through, there are enough dry or only intermittently-drizzly days for frequent hiking, not to mention the summers. It's an exaggeration to say that if you're not willing to hike in the rain, you may never go hiking otherwise.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:02 AM

17 posts, read 24,348 times
It's different but I wouldn't say it's depressing.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:16 PM

86 posts, read 82,769 times
I worry about the cloudy weather. I tend to get winter depression. I like rainy weather I just don't know if I would be able to handle it after living in the SW for 15 years. However, I am getting sick of the crime of my city. So maybe a few less sunny days will be a good compromise!

I would totally bring my umbrella. LOL. I bet every Las Vegas home has one, hahaha.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmandsea View Post
I worry about the cloudy weather. I tend to get winter depression. I like rainy weather I just don't know if I would be able to handle it after living in the SW for 15 years. However, I am getting sick of the crime of my city. So maybe a few less sunny days will be a good compromise!

I would totally bring my umbrella. LOL. I bet every Las Vegas home has one, hahaha.
It isn't just the cloudy weather. Winter days here are quite short. For most of us, it's a worthwhile trade-off for the long summer days. But if you already have SADD, you might find Oregon easier to deal with - that 250 miles of latitude means the winter days are just a bit longer there.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:28 PM

86 posts, read 82,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It isn't just the cloudy weather. Winter days here are quite short. For most of us, it's a worthwhile trade-off for the long summer days. But if you already have SADD, you might find Oregon easier to deal with - that 250 miles of latitude means the winter days are just a bit longer there.
I would have to invest in some lights. I don't get winter depression here at all but I am getting anxiety from the crime and people here in this city.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 11,455 times
I am from Eastern Washington and it not rainy here but it's dry and brown...that's what gets to me the most and it's why we're looking to leave! Too hot and dry, and too many tumbleweeds! I guess the desert landscape is beautiful to others though- to each their own!

Old 07-08-2016, 11:45 AM

998 posts, read 786,751 times
Op has never been to Washington yet he's been spotted under a bridge lol

Old 07-09-2016, 10:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Unless their work requires it, most Washingtonians have enough sense to stay out of the rain.

Those who don't use umbrellas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington