Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 11:53 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

I sure hope this year's summer won't be as hot as it was during the last couple years (which were IMO the hottest summers we've had in years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:23 PM

296 posts, read 232,342 times
So far, so good. Yesterday it was 57 here, while many areas of the country roasted.

Last year was horrible, fires in the Wenatchee and surrounding areas. There was even a small fire in a hayfield down the street from me.

I don't think it will be as bad as last summer. Let's hope not.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:26 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
So far it's looking a lot better than last year, and I hope it stays that way.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:27 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Fire Weather prediction for Northwest....

Northwest: Normal significant wildland fire potential is expected for the Northwest Geographic Area for the Outlook period.
The first half of May was unusually warm and dry across the Northwest. Temperatures were well above normal and only one frontal system passed across the Area. The second half of May was significantly cooler and wetter with a number of cool, showery upper troughs settling over the Area through Memorial Day weekend. Due to the sunshine and consistent warmth, snowmelt accelerated during May with nearly every reporting basin in the Area falling below average snowpack by mid-month. Many reporting stations reached zero snow up to a month ahead of schedule as a result of the warmth.
Climate outlooks suggest that generally warmer-than-normal conditions are likely through June and into July. Beyond that, indications suggest that August and September will not be unusually warm which may hinder large fire potential. Precipitation accumulation and lightning frequency during this period are unclear. Heavy fuels dried well below average in many areas during the first half of May, particularly west of the Cascades. Two significant fires were reported in western Washington. Fortunately, the extended period of cool, moist weather in the last half of the month allowed fuel moisture to return to normal levels by the beginning of June. Green-up of shrubs and grasses is well underway across the Area. Live fuels have been moistening rapidly since mid-May due to the accumulated effect of warmth and precipitation in the last half of the month. Field reports indicate curing is beginning on south facing aspects east of the Cascades and will accelerate after June 1. Rains have contributed to fuel loading and amounts look to be near normal. Fire danger is poised to increase more quickly than usual in June due to the anticipated warmth and reach normal fire season levels by late June. Fast moving fires in grassy fuels are likely on schedule in June in rangelands and areas subject to gusty winds. Heavier fuels will follow a few weeks behind.

http://www.predictiveservices.nifc.g...al_outlook.pdf

Old 06-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I like the long range forecasts for the Old Farmers Almanac, always seems to be accurate. They say hotter than normal when sunny, but also more summer rain and cooler days. Sort of like we are having now but hotter, with a week of sunny, and few days of rain, through August. September and October they say will be cooler and wetter than normal.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:35 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Well, if this spring was any indication, it is going to be HOT!!!

On the other hand, weather and climate aren't the same thing.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:10 PM

328 posts, read 473,324 times
I kinda follow the weather in spokane, and it has been all over... 90s, then freeze warnings... madness

Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsard View Post
I kinda follow the weather in spokane, and it has been all over... 90s, then freeze warnings... madness

And I know I don't have to tell you this but I'm sure 90 in Spokane is more comfortable than 90 in wet blanket South Fl.
When I'm observing weather, I focus on the dew point reading vs relative humidity.
Dew point is a better indicator of comfort

Old 06-25-2016, 08:18 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
And I know I don't have to tell you this but I'm sure 90 in Spokane is more comfortable than 90 in wet blanket South Fl.
When I'm observing weather, I focus on the dew point reading vs relative humidity.
Yes!!!!! Without a doubt!

Old 06-25-2016, 01:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
How do you use dewpoint for defining comfort??

For example.....here is the current temperatures from Seattle

Temp 64 degrees, RH 63%, dewpoint 51 degrees

For Wenatchee

Temp 92 degrees, RH 25%, dewpoint 51 degrees

So are both places exactly the same in comfort??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington