Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't think of Washington state and refineries.
Because of the few pipelines in the PNW and the availability of Alaskan crude, refineries in Washington state are very important. You don't get to drive cars and trucks and fly airplanes without fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 08:22 AM

17 posts, read 13,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I've bought and sold in Anacortes in the last year. A five bedroom house in your price range might be hard to find, particularly with land. And houses tend to be closer together since it's an island and space is at a premium.
I have a friend whose husband works at one of the refineries and he commutes from Bellingham so that's very doable.

I like Anacortes but to be honest, it's not my idea of a hometown kind of place. Too many retirees and tourists and (I hate to say this) not necessarily the friendliest town in the world though that could be the result of so many people there coming in from Seattle and I'm just not used to big city attitudes anymore after living in the Idaho woods for so long. You'd never know I'd lived in downtown Boston before.
We're not snobby people - probably wouldn't mesh well in Anacortes then.
Kids definitely come first. Safe area with good schools is a must.

We certainly don't require a 5bd home.
Our boys choose to share a bedroom so we have unused space-plenty of unused space!

Our oldest is 19 and won't require a room of her own for more than a couple years.
In reality she might choose to live in CA with family over WA... *shrugs*

Thanks

Old 06-24-2016, 09:59 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Because of the few pipelines in the PNW and the availability of Alaskan crude, refineries in Washington state are very important. You don't get to drive cars and trucks and fly airplanes without fuel.
Where did I say they were unimportant? They are limited, therefore fewer choices as opposed to Texas where there are may choices. The OP replied they don't care, they hate living in Texas so at least they know going in.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Where did I say they were unimportant? They are limited, therefore fewer choices as opposed to Texas where there are may choices. The OP replied they don't care, they hate living in Texas so at least they know going in.
Correct, which is why I'm researching and asking boatloads of questions

My husband started his career in CA which doesn't come close to the energy hub here in Houston.
Moving to WA is a risk, but one we are willing to take. WA has everything our family wants - bar the limitless employers

Old 06-24-2016, 11:32 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
He would be better off applying for a job with an outside contractor before a shutdown/turnaround. There is a two year program at our local tech school to learn refinery technology so those who complete the course usually get hired. These are good paying jobs in areas without good paying jobs so competition is fierce. Your husband must have a skill such as pipe fitter, machinist, welder, pipe insulator, etc., unless he is looking for administrative work or as an operator. Working in a refinery is dirty dangerous work. Seven workers were killed a few years back due to an explosion.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
He would be better off applying for a job with an outside contractor before a shutdown/turnaround. There is a two year program at our local tech school to learn refinery technology so those who complete the course usually get hired. These are good paying jobs in areas without good paying jobs so competition is fierce. Your husband must have a skill such as pipe fitter, machinist, welder, pipe insulator, etc., unless he is looking for administrative work or as an operator. Working in a refinery is dirty dangerous work. Seven workers were killed a few years back due to an explosion.
My husband is a veteran plant worker.
Operator/safety tech/industrial fire fighting/EMT etc.

Yes it's a dangerous job - which is why they earn what they do.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Sounds like he is experienced and has critical skills. Safest are Shell and Conoco (the one furthest north at Cherry Point). I get them confused as they changed hands since we worked there. Tesoro was where the seven died; they aren't known for their safety record.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Sounds like he is experienced and has critical skills. Safest are Shell and Conoco (the one furthest north at Cherry Point). I get them confused as they changed hands since we worked there. Tesoro was where the seven died; they aren't known for their safety record.
Do you work in the plants?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:51 AM

We both used to. Hubby "retired" out of Tesoro working as a contractor in 2008. I quit in the mid 1980s to start family. They pay very well ($33/hour in 2008) but can be unsafe and unhealthy. It is the nature of the refining process: heat and pressure of volatile product. Four refineries so close in proximity gives your husband a choice.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
We both used to. Hubby "retired" out of Tesoro working as a contractor in 2008. I quit in the mid 1980s to start family. They pay very well ($33/hour in 2008) but can be unsafe and unhealthy. It is the nature of the refining process: heat and pressure of volatile product. Four refineries so close in proximity gives your husband a choice.
My husbands base is almost $100k, so taking a hit pay wise needs to be worthwhile in every other aspect.
I didn't check to see if they are Union.
We have family and friends who work for or retired from Shell, Tesoro and Phillips. Positive experiences which makes my husband feel better.
He's worked with some of the worlds most toxic and deadly chemicals. He's a safety nut

Thanks for your remarks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington