Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 PM

361 posts, read 395,680 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I recently moved to Washington State for a great job opportunity in Pierce County - Puyallup area.

When I moved here, I gave up my former state's driver license for a Washington State driver's license, as I wanted to be a Washington State resident as soon as I could. I found it odd though that I didn't have to take a written exam for the Washington State driver's license. All I had to do was trade in my former state's driver's license for

I thought I was fine. errr, wrong!

My friend who also moved to the Seattle area three years ago told me about a Washington State driver's license called the "Enhanced Driver's License." He said that it's useful to have that ID card because if I wanted to travel to Canada from Washington State, I simply can provide that card upon request to the border agent, and there was no need for my US passport to be declared.

I thought to myself, "nah, I'll just get a regular Washington State driver's license," as I was not interested in doing a road trip to Canada anytime soon.

Low and behold, I also do shopping at the commissary at Fort Lewis, a military base south of Tacoma area.

Just recently, the military placed Washington State's driver's license on a list of ID documents that are NOT ACCEPTABLE at the sentry gate. what the hell?!!

I also saw Minnesota and Missouri driver's license that are also not acceptable, but I don't know the exact reason why WA State's driver's license is not valid.

The guard at the gate told me that starting June 1 of this year, I'm only to use an ENHANCED Washington State driver's license in addition to the military base pass, in order for me to get onto the base for shopping.

I was bummed out and really ticked off that I couldn't get onto base yesterday.

I had to wait for almost two hours today to get my Enhanced WA State driver's license. I had to show the lady at the counter my US passport and other documents. Not only did I waste my time today, but also had to spend additional money to get my enhanced WA State ID created.

So my question is, why can't Washington State government just issue out Enhanced WA State driver's licenses, rather than have TWO DIFFERENT categories of driver's license?

I was also chatting with a guy seated near me at the DMV this afternoon, and he said that in the near future, TSA and airport security will NOT be accepting regular WA State driver's license for travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 05:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,220 posts, read 80,405,058 times
It's for our protection. The state of WA, like many others, gives a drivers license to illegal aliens, so has been determine to not be a valid ID for border crossing or military base entry by the federal government.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 AM

6,323 posts, read 6,971,245 times
Hemlock140 got it right.
You pay extra for a drivers license so illegal aliens can get a license. You might want to write a letter to the Governor and YOUR elected representatives noting the fact.

I just travel everywhere in the United States with my passport. It has that enhanced chip to gets scanned at a distance. It comes in real handy for the INTERNAL checkpoints the Federal government has in southern Arizona.

The Soviet Union had "internal" passports. We need to either change our leadership or quit complaining.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:08 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,412,214 times
Also worth mentioning: around here, you don't need to specify Washington the state vs. Washington D.C. Washingtonians here will presume the former unless you specify D.C.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:18 AM

102,086 posts, read 107,144,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Hey guys. I recently moved to Washington State for a great job opportunity in Pierce County - Puyallup area.

When I moved here, I gave up my former state's driver license for a Washington State driver's license, as I wanted to be a Washington State resident as soon as I could. I found it odd though that I didn't have to take a written exam for the Washington State driver's license. All I had to do was trade in my former state's driver's license for

I thought I was fine. errr, wrong!

My friend who also moved to the Seattle area three years ago told me about a Washington State driver's license called the "Enhanced Driver's License." He said that it's useful to have that ID card because if I wanted to travel to Canada from Washington State, I simply can provide that card upon request to the border agent, and there was no need for my US passport to be declared.

I thought to myself, "nah, I'll just get a regular Washington State driver's license," as I was not interested in doing a road trip to Canada anytime soon.

Low and behold, I also do shopping at the commissary at Fort Lewis, a military base south of Tacoma area.

Just recently, the military placed Washington State's driver's license on a list of ID documents that are NOT ACCEPTABLE at the sentry gate. what the hell?!!

I also saw Minnesota and Missouri driver's license that are also not acceptable, but I don't know the exact reason why WA State's driver's license is not valid.

The guard at the gate told me that starting June 1 of this year, I'm only to use an ENHANCED Washington State driver's license in addition to the military base pass, in order for me to get onto the base for shopping.

I was bummed out and really ticked off that I couldn't get onto base yesterday.

I had to wait for almost two hours today to get my Enhanced WA State driver's license. I had to show the lady at the counter my US passport and other documents. Not only did I waste my time today, but also had to spend additional money to get my enhanced WA State ID created.

So my question is, why can't Washington State government just issue out Enhanced WA State driver's licenses, rather than have TWO DIFFERENT categories of driver's license?

I was also chatting with a guy seated near me at the DMV this afternoon, and he said that in the near future, TSA and airport security will NOT be accepting regular WA State driver's license for travel.
OP, this is not a big deal. This came about to comply with new federal requirements for security, including security at airports. Consider yourself fortunate; the state where I currently live (NM) doesn't even have the enhanced license option. NM licenses are out of compliance w/fed requirements, and are no good for going through airport security, let alone crossing an international border (Mexico, say). Count your blessings.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:33 AM

6,304 posts, read 8,983,283 times
Quote:
Because some people don't have the need or desire for an enhanced license?

It is a convenience more than anything for most people.

Quote:
Yes, this has been something in the works for years now. Long story short, Washington State was notified quite a few years ago that they needed to upgrade the security measures taken when issuing driver's licenses. They have not, and have constantly requested "more time" to be in compliance.

It is only a matter of time before there will be a LOT of unhappy people not being able to get through security at Washington airports.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

Yes, this has been something in the works for years now. Long story short, Washington State was notified quite a few years ago that they needed to upgrade the security measures taken when issuing driver's licenses. They have not, and have constantly requested "more time" to be in compliance.

It is only a matter of time before there will be a LOT of unhappy people not being able to get through security at Washington airports.
The Governor and Legislature MADE the decision that ,unlike other states the regular license, would NOT be valid ID to protect the illegal immigrants in Washington state.

They also decided the LEGAL citizens would pay EXTRA for having a valid ID from Washington state.

There is a primary in about a month. IF you vote for either of the major parties, when you have a choice to vote independent or third party.....don't complain about the state politicians.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:51 AM

6,304 posts, read 8,983,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The Governor and Legislature MADE the decision that ,unlike other states the regular license, would NOT be valid ID to protect the illegal immigrants in Washington state.

They also decided the LEGAL citizens would pay EXTRA for having a valid ID from Washington state.

There is a primary in about a month. IF you vote for either of the major parties, when you have a choice to vote independent or third party.....don't complain about the state politicians.
And it's about time the federal government put on its big person pants and called Washington State to the carpet on this.

Yeah, the whole "valid ID from Washington State" doesn't affect me. My drivers license, which doesn't even reflect my current address, is good enough for me to drive in the state. I use my passport card when travelling.

And, no, I'm not interested in "voting 3rd party". Thanks though.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
And, no, I'm not interested in "voting 3rd party". Thanks though.
There you go...that is why nothing changes. At least vote third party in the primary so that ONE major party is not on the ballot in November and there is a CHOICE.

In this state, the PRIMARY is where the change must start.

Oh, that Federal Government......isn't much different than the state government.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:24 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,304,442 times
With the enhanced driver's license, I get shuttled to the pre-cleared line when flying. Used it too go up to Vancouver on Amtrak, which was a snap. Well worth having on those bases alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington