Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:23 PM

115 posts, read 97,889 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and have been constantly reading what people have to say about Washington. Besides the rain, which I love (compared to snow at least). I was considering moving to Seattle or Bothell at the end of next year when i graduate with my MBA in Marketing. The reason why I want to move is mainly because of the job-market in the consumer electronics and technology industry, which NJ doesn't have. Also, the property taxes in NJ makes it very hard to get a decent home.

I am 25 years old and will have my MBA by next year, I am currently a Product (Development) Manager at a small consumer electronics company that i have been in for almost two years. Prior to that I was a Sales Manager at a large technology retail store. I am looking to advance my career in the Seattle Area. How is the job market for some of the mid-large size companies? I have looked on indeed and found an abundance of corporate companies hiring; however is it much harder to get into ?

I was considering purchasing a Condo in the area, what are the best cities to live in near Seattle? I have looked at Bothell and fell in love with some of the condos over there.

Any feedback is much appreciated, I am thinking about coming down sometime in October to tour the area to see if that is really what I want to do. But I am very risk adverse and willing to try it out..

Last edited by mbpharoh; 07-16-2016 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 02:48 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,287,033 times
Single? Live in Seattle. Bothell is family-land and a tough commute to either Downtown Seattle or Bellevue/Redmond.

Coming from back east, drop the assumption that the burbs are better than the urbs. Seattle has wonderful in-city neighborhoods, from dense MFH to residential SFH. Transit options in the city are much better than in the county.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:03 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Find out where you'll be working, first. If you'll be working for Microsoft on the eastside of Lake Washington, there wouldn't be much point in getting a place in Seattle. But if you'll be working in Seattle, then definitely get a place in Seattle. There are a number of good neighborhoods to choose from in Seattle, full of people your age.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 PM

Yeah, if she moves with a job, living closer to where she works is best, preferably with a one-seat transit ride if working in downtown Seattle.

Reverse commutes from many "eastern" Seattle neighborhoods, however, can be doable, depending on ease of access to 520, I-90, and I-5. Microsoft also has its own bus service, The Connector, which serves lots of 'softies in Seattle.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:36 PM

do most of Seattle people take public transportation? I would be planning on transporting my car over there but not sure if it would be practical to drive to work.

I still don't know where I would be working yet as I am in the pre planning stages. I doubt I would work for such a huge company as Microsoft at first because of my "low" experience in product development, I would be assuming a Mid size or startup company for a few years at least.

I see that condos are very affordable in Seattle (compared to nj/NYC) what are your thoughts on this versus buying a home in a city close to Seattle

Old 07-17-2016, 09:46 PM

Many people commute by transit to downtown Seattle and other major job centers. Many companies will pay for a monthly regional pass and ORCA card. Besides buses, we also have electric trolleybuses, streetcars, light rail, commuter rail, water taxis, and ferries. On the downside, we also have some of the worst traffic in the country.

I'd recommend renting first, in order to become familiar with the area. It is completely different from where you're coming from.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:17 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,016,407 times
As you may suspect, not as many use public transit in the Seattle areas as they do in the NYC area. NYC and Jersey City have always had a very high percentage of people using public transportation ...well over 50%. In Seattle, I don't believe it's even 25%. But that is much, much higher than it was decades ago.

The west coast has always been more car-dependent than the east coast strictly because of its lower population density. The only west coast city that has always had a relatively high percentage of those who use transit is San Francisco. Seattle, with it's increasing population density is now about 15th in rank as the percentage that use public transit and is the next west coast city behind San Francisco in ranking. The only other west coast cities in the top-20 are the other Bay Area cities. The rest of the top-20 are on the east coast and also Chicago.

But getting back to Seattle, more and more people are using transit now that the rail system is expanding. The demand for rail and BRT will continue to increase with the population boom that is currently going on. Seattle had the reputation of being slow in getting a rail system in place so is behind other cities of comparable or less population. When I was a young adult in the late 1960s and early 70s, we voted down the Forward Thrust Initiative rapid transit bonds (but voted for the Kingdome ). I remember the mayor saying at the time that voting down rapid transit would be tragic. I agreed and he was right. it put the area far behind in developing sensible transit alternatives to provide real incentive to get more people out of their cars ...so far behind that the area is still trying to catch up.

eta: and pertaining to buying a condo in the city vs a single family house in the suburbs? ...my choice, and not everybody will agree, will be to buy the condo especially if you think the prices are reasonable compared to where you're from. That way you'll be building equity and can then use that equity to later purchase a house in the suburbs when your conditions change, i.e. family needs, etc. Living in the city will also be a better place to commute "from" as it will be close if you find a job downtown and will be somewhat a reverse commute if your job is in the burbs. Although if your job is on the eastside, the commutes are approaching being similar.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:29 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
We don't have a ton of condos. Washington has liability laws that mean very few get built, and the ones that do are expensive. Also I'd suggest holding off and renting until you know where you're working and what you like. But I agree with the post above that it's easier if you commute from Seattle than commute into it.

The volume of tech jobs is massive. I suspect you'll get a lot of interest, and have the ability to pick Seattle vs. Eastside. Seattle is dominated by Amazon and the Eastside by Microsoft, but both have a ton of other tech firms too, including their own collections of tentpole companies that employ in the thousands.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,234,771 times
Condos can be a great deal. But it's important to find out if there are any special assessments coming up.
Also, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a house or a condo until you're sure you want to stay for years. Renting first is usually the wisest course. As far as weather, I'm a New Jersey native( Exit 8), and I greatly prefer the weather out here. Very little snow, and almost never those 90 degree days with 90 percent humidity.
And...nothing against Bothell, but what made you think of Bothell?

Old 07-18-2016, 10:55 AM

Sorry for the "Stupid" question, what do you mean by assessments?

Currently I have saved up enough to afford a DP on a condo, I feel as if i start renting that I would be using up my DP money and help paying someone else's mortgage. If I purchase a condo and decide Seattle is not for me (which I doubt), than I can also just rent it out and purchase a home elsewhere. Condo's within my area tend to go for high 3-400k with property tax of $6k, and they are not as nice...

As for the transportation comments, how is street parking? Can you find it easily? or is it like NYC where you can never find street parking and lots are $30+ a day to park in? I don't want to get rid of my car completely as it's paid off, but I don't want to spend a fortune on parking either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Condos can be a great deal. But it's important to find out if there are any special assessments coming up.
Also, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a house or a condo until you're sure you want to stay for years. Renting first is usually the wisest course. As far as weather, I'm a New Jersey native( Exit 8), and I greatly prefer the weather out here. Very little snow, and almost never those 90 degree days with 90 percent humidity.
And...nothing against Bothell, but what made you think of Bothell?
It was as simple as looking at a map on Zillow and compared condos between Seattle and Bothell. I also saw that it was only a 20 minute commute into Seattle, but that might be too "laxed" and doesn't factor in seattle traffic.

I'm From 15W (Kearny)

Last edited by mbpharoh; 07-18-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington