U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,725 times

Advertisements

You won't have to deal with the snow and bitter cold temperatures in NW Washington during the winters like you're used to in Michigan, BUT, at least in MI you could have several sunny days after "the blizzard...." and other snowy days...that won't happen in the PNW during the winter months...I've been here for three years now, and during the spring and summer....nothing compares to Western Washington for its beauty and outdoor lifestyle....but get ready many many grey gloomy days from Thanksgiving until Easter. In my opinion...I'll take Washington over Michigan in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 01:16 PM

5,816 posts, read 3,113,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madetoheal75 View Post
Thanks for the screenshots. What app is this?
Homesnap.

Personally fall is my favorite time here. During summer all the hiking trails are packed and there's little to no parking to be found at trailheads. But on a gray day with a little drizzle you can often have a place all to yourself.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:52 PM

910 posts, read 569,926 times
I moved to NW WA from Wisconsin and loved it. For about 2 years. Then I started hating it. Then a few hundred thousand more people moved in and I hated it even more. I stayed for 10 years, moved back to the upper midwest and don't miss living there even one tiny bit. I miss living on the east side sometimes though.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:13 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,077,163 times
I'm moving there from the Twin Cities metro in three weeks. It's been a long time coming as my husband is from there and we are frequently there anyways. Better job for him and being right next to family are our reasons. So quite frankly if I don't love it, that's too bad because it's the best thing for us right now and we want our future kids to be by at least one set of grandparents and uncle.

So far just from visiting numerous times the biggest differences I've noticed is just the general culture, much different from the midwest. People are extremely extroverted (at least in MN) and in Seattle people are more subtle and laid back. The weather goes without saying and it's going to be a huge adjustment. Here in the midwest we have extremely variable year-round weather but even in the dead of winter, the sun is still shining brightly. Seattle... not so much however the fact there is still green and plants alive in winter helps relieve the doom and gloom. My plan supplementary to exercising and taking vitamin d supplement is to have the doctor prescribe me a medicated "happy lamp" as I've used them before and they work great!

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide

Old 08-13-2016, 08:51 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,792,806 times
My dad married my Seattle mother in 1958. They could have chosen Detroit, (where my dad was employed), or move to my mother's residence. They chose Seattle. It all worked out, and my parents bought into the Seattle scene in the late 50's, owning and moving up in real estate value. While they are now long gone, they were in the right place at the right time, gaining true real estate gains.

How this relates to newcomers today, not so sure. But it seems to me that the logical continence of this is pretty well-formed.

A bubble in W. WA? Perhaps...but not quite yet.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 AM

67 posts, read 39,325 times
Thank you for the input, all.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:19 PM

3,358 posts, read 2,754,695 times
Missed this back late summer '16. As a SE Michigan guy, surprised I did. Ann Arbor, huh? Lot of friends still in AA, though I'm a Western man (Broncos!).

Winters, W Wa to Michigan: surprisingly similar, though add 10-20 degrees and remove most of the snow. Both dreary, but I'll take dreary rain over snow and ice any day. Thus W WA doesn't bother me much and never did. Seven years in California weather convinced me I should live there instead, but there isn't any way of getting ahead and building a fortune there like I did here. Now, building a fortune in W WA is very difficult, too, another topic (RE: "housing prices").

I see now you're thinking Reno, and UNR? Deja vu all over again for me, as Yogi Berra once said. Lived there a year, too, out of college. It's high desert thus generally a bit parched, but they do have occasional magnificent snowstorms and the Truckee runs over its banks equally rarely. I was actually there for the third largest single storm in Reno's history, Feb. 16, 1990 with 18 inches of snow. Shut the whole town down, I watched Circus Circus lose power though was not downtown when it did: bet that was mayhem. Total coincidence, I'd been in town only a couple months at the time and had work lined up shortly thereafter.

High desert is what it is, I've been to some interesting places in Nevada during the winter (Pioche, Reno, Tonopah, Vegas, Mesquite, more). Climate varies quite a bit between the higher and lower elevations. Places like Ely and Pioche are interesting and desolate. The whole state is pretty much that way, not exactly the garden spot of the US, but it calls to those who like parched places. I found Reno a bit sleepy, but it's damn near doubled in size since I was there and I'd have to spend another year hanging around to get a proper vibe. Probably lost a bit of coziness in the process, it had a mid-size city feel when I was there for-sure. The glitter on Virginia was really only a couple streets and if you knew where to hang out (Peppermill was my favorite) a bit outside the strip, lots more fun to be had. Was there ten years ago and found it interesting as ever, just a lot more of it so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or