Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:58 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Seattle is worse, far more cloudy, gloomy, dismal in the winter and marginally better for 1 month in the summer. You won't see as much snow in Seattle, just day after day of drizzle.

New York City:

Seattle:
The whole summer here was WAY better than NYC. The temps were basically perfect. A few hot days but overall amazing. NYC in summer is hot and humid. If you don't have an AC you'll be miserable. I won't even mention how horrible it is going into the subway on super hot days there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 01:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
The whole summer here was WAY better than NYC. The temps were basically perfect. A few hot days but overall amazing. NYC in summer is hot and humid. If you don't have an AC you'll be miserable. I won't even mention how horrible it is going into the subway on super hot days there.
But the winter days in the PNW are heavily overcast, thick clouds that can block the sun for days. And it's fo far north the days only last eight or nine hours in December, getting dark by 4:30 p.m. The combination can make people truly miserable forcing them to flee to sunnier locations.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:48 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
But the winter days in the PNW are heavily overcast, thick clouds that can block the sun for days. And it's fo far north the days only last eight or nine hours in December, getting dark by 4:30 p.m. The combination can make people truly miserable forcing them to flee to sunnier locations.
It gets dark by that time in the northeast as well.

I'd take overcast and gloomy over bone-chilling cold any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
It gets dark by that time in the northeast as well.

I'd take overcast and gloomy over bone-chilling cold any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
No, the days are shorter in Seattle than they are in Portland, Maine. We are very far north, our days in December and January can start as late as 8:00 a.m. and end as early as 4:30 p.m. This tends to really get to people, depression, SAD, they can't take it and if they've spent a lot of money moving to Seattle, they have to spend a lot of money to leave. People should consider this seriously before moving here.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:18 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
It gets dark at that time in CO winter, too.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
No, the days are shorter in Seattle than they are in Portland, Maine. We are very far north, our days in December and January can start as late as 8:00 a.m. and end as early as 4:30 p.m. This tends to really get to people, depression, SAD, they can't take it and if they've spent a lot of money moving to Seattle, they have to spend a lot of money to leave. People should consider this seriously before moving here.
Ugh.

Yes, our days in December might be shorter than in NYC- by as much as *gasp* 20-30 minutes on either end.

Seriously. 20-30 minutes. Not enough to make this an "OMG" issue for people moving from the NE.

The difference that I've personally seen is in the overall sunlight, not in the total amount of daylight hours.

Because, yes, the sun does, in fact, set at 4:30 in NYC in December.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Ugh.

Yes, our days in December might be shorter than in NYC- by as much as *gasp* 20-30 minutes on either end.

Seriously. 20-30 minutes. Not enough to make this an "OMG" issue for people moving from the NE.

The difference that I've personally seen is in the overall sunlight, not in the total amount of daylight hours.

Because, yes, the sun does, in fact, set at 4:30 in NYC in December.
Seattle's latitude is 47 degrees while New York City is 40 degrees. I went to timeanddate.com and looked up NYC vs. Seattle. Seattle in late December starts at 7:56 to 4:21 for a total of 8 hours and 25 minutes. New York City starts at 7:15 to 4:30 for a total of 9 hours and 15 minutes. We're talking about almost an hour a day. I'm trying to save lives here. You don't want to move to Seattle and get depressed do you?

Old 10-02-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Seattle's latitude is 47 degrees while New York City is 40 degrees. I went to timeanddate.com and looked up NYC vs. Seattle. Seattle in late December starts at 7:56 to 4:21 for a total of 8 hours and 25 minutes. New York City starts at 7:15 to 4:30 for a total of 9 hours and 15 minutes. We're talking about almost an hour a day. I'm trying to save lives here. You don't want to move to Seattle and get depressed do you?
LOL-- as someone who has actually lived in both places for extended periods, I thought I'd put my two cents in.

NYC can be a cold, dark and gloomy place in December as well.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
LOL-- as someone who has actually lived in both places for extended periods, I thought I'd put my two cents in.

NYC can be a cold, dark and gloomy place in December as well.
Our cloud cover is oppressive in addition to the short days. The clouds hang low and dark even during the day so it feels like no daylight at all. Remember that scene in Joe Vs. the Volcano where Joe's eyes keep twitching from the florescent light? That's us in December and January. You don't want to suffer that way do you? Denver is much sunnier.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:47 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
If someone works a desk job, the SAD occurs whether living in a sunny state or a gray one.

Light therapy using special lamps are said to help, as does exercise. So the exercise might be done indoors when it is raining, oh well. If someone has career-related reasons to move to Seattle, it might be worth the tradeoffs to use that city to make money and later move out if they prefer somewhere else. Put up with the negatives to gain some delayed positives. No need to be stuck there forever. Happens all the time with many cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington