Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,482,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Our cloud cover is oppressive in addition to the short days. The clouds hang low and dark even during the day so it feels like no daylight at all. Remember that scene in Joe Vs. the Volcano where Joe's eyes keep twitching from the florescent light? That's us in December and January. You don't want to suffer that way do you? Denver is much sunnier.
Well, I would think more people would take additional Vitamin D supplements if that were the case... Seattle isn't really that far north compared to many areas of Europe that actually receive far less winter sunlight hours. I plan on moving to the Pacific Northwest in the future and the lack of harsh sunlight is a huge bonus for me, must be that strong northern European ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,674,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I lived in Vancouver, Canada from September through April one year. It felt like eternity. I would have NEVER moved there if I had the information available on this forum.

I don't see the issue of being "prone to depression" due to weather. If you depressed by cloudy, dark weather what difference does it make?? Don't MOVE to western Washington.

It is a serious problem west of the Cascades. 40% of the homes in Chelan County and 50% of the homes in Okanogan County are owned by western Washington residents (US Census). Those second homes are not being bought for the high speed fiber network in Chelan County!!

I did live in the NE US as a child. I have more memories of cloudy days than sunny ones. However, that is not a valid sample.

I do find it funny how western Washington residents talk about the rain and clouds.

TRUE STORY. I had just moved to Wenatchee and being in my 30's took up golf. As a single golfer I got paired with three golfers from western Washington. I made mention of my awful experience living west of the Cascades. This was met with comments "its not so bad"....."you never notice the rain"...."it is more of a mist"...etc. etc. The conversation moved on....and after several holes I asked "so what brought you to Wenatchee this weekend?". The answer.....IT WAS RAINING AT HOME.
It must be a lot wetter in Vancouver than in the "rain shadow." Based on my one visit to Portland/Astoria/Skamokawa in autumn, that matches. I swear it rained almost 100% of our time in Portland.

I don't particularly like the gray drizzle in western WA but four-going-into-five winters of it has not seemed like an eternity even to this sun-lover.

Western WA residents talking about rain and clouds is like southeastern US residents talking about mugginess. Are they bragging or complaining?

Old 10-03-2016, 08:22 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,002,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Western WA residents talking about rain and clouds is like southeastern US residents talking about mugginess. Are they bragging or complaining?
I can't recall a time when I thought that someone was bragging about the humidity in the southeast.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,674,827 times
Y'know, Seacove...all the posts about how rainy and dark Seattle is have not kept the crowds away. Not even the many posts about The Seattle Freeze. Yer pssing in the wind.

People get it into their heads that [city X] is paradise and, out of a slew of posts warning about [rain, clouds, too much sun, too little moisture, too humid, lots of snow and cold, high COL, heavy traffic, sprawl, snobby people, too-friendly people, rightwing, leftwing blahblahblah], they will latch onto ONE post that gives an answer that they want to hear.

There is no such thing as a perfect place, and one person's happy haven is someone else's nightmare grotto, but most likely it is something in between.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,732,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
There is no such thing as a perfect place, and one person's happy haven is someone else's nightmare grotto, but most likely it is something in between.
Pretty much this. When I was in the military I was stationed down south (east coast) for a couple years and hated the weather so much. I would never willingly want to live in such a hot humid environment yet some people love that sort of thing. Literally the first couple weeks down there it felt hard to breath for me due to the heat/humidity. Never felt anything like it.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:45 PM

489 posts, read 962,711 times
We lived in Sunapee, NH for two years. That was a nice break from the gray and gloom of the PNW.
The days and days of PNW gray and drizzle just wear on us as we get older like they didn't when we were younger.
We'll, the wife and I, eventually move right back to Sunapee when the time is right, and the better weather is one of the reasons. The mind numbing cold and snow did not bother us.
Perhaps it will some day, then we'll run off for New Mexico or Arizona.

-Mike

Old 10-03-2016, 02:51 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,732,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
We lived in Sunapee, NH for two years. That was a nice break from the gray and gloom of the PNW.
The days and days of PNW gray and drizzle just wear on us as we get older like they didn't when we were younger.
We'll, the wife and I, eventually move right back to Sunapee when the time is right, and the better weather is one of the reasons. The mind numbing cold and snow did not bother us.

-Mike
So is NM/Arizona the place that people go to retire on the west coast for cheaper COL and warmer weather? I see it mentioned a lot. I know Florida is the place people often retire to from the northeastern region.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:55 PM

489 posts, read 962,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
So is NM/Arizona the place that people go to retire on the west coast for cheaper COL and warmer weather? I see it mentioned a lot. I know Florida is the place people often retire to from the northeastern region.
Probably not so much NM, but AZ is on the list for many. Palm Springs in CA was a popular spot for years too, but I am not sure anymore.
I only listed NM as I have wanted to live there for a long time.
So yeah, AZ is the FL for west coasters.

-Mike

Old 10-05-2016, 04:52 PM

32,884 posts, read 36,249,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Pretty much this. When I was in the military I was stationed down south (east coast) for a couple years and hated the weather so much. I would never willingly want to live in such a hot humid environment yet some people love that sort of thing. Literally the first couple weeks down there it felt hard to breath for me due to the heat/humidity. Never felt anything like it.
I moved from PA to NC in July--when there was a heat wave. While it was pretty hot and humid in PA, I wasn't prepared for the South.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,482,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post

-Mike
I am very familiar with that area of NH, lived right down the road closer to Concord for a time. What made you leave Sunapee in such a short time that you would prefer to consider moving there again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington