Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 4,448 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to the outskirts of either Seattle or Portland within the next two years. We would both make about $5 more an hour working in Seattle but my husband's family is in Portland and I have family in Bend. So we have to ask ourselves if making more money -and whatever other benefits Seattle has- is worth living farther away from family. There's a lot of other variables that we will take into consideration before making our final decision. I would just like to know your reasoning behind moving to Seattle instead of Portland (taxes, education, location, ect). It'd also be helpful if you have the opposite opinion and could tell me why you think that Portland is the better option. Any other advice would be appreciated as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 02:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
I think it's a matter of taste. Some people just prefer one over the other, but Portland has a lower cost of living, less traffic and your family is there so why wouldn't you move to Portland or even across the bridge in Vancouver?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:12 PM

353 posts, read 934,234 times
No state income tax vs. 9%.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtom View Post
No state income tax vs. 9%.
But Oregon has no sales tax and sales tax in the Seattle metro is around 9%

Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 PM

811 posts, read 1,060,540 times
Portland to Bend.... 3 hours.

Seattle to Bend.... 6hr20minutes, only if you start from Seattle before 5:30am(good weather of course), add a few hours with a later start.

Might be something to ponder as you weigh the plus and minus lists.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:49 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Truthfully, either one will be good. No income tax in Washington. No sales tax in Oregon. Seattle metro area is busier because it has around a million more people, but both cities are very busy and more people moving in every day at a fast clip. Bad rush-hour traffic for both. If you do a lot of flying, PDX is superior to Sea-Tac.

Seattle has excellent restaurants and seafood, but Portland has arguably one of the best dining scenes in the United States -- cheaper and better than Seattle. You are going to pay more for housing in Seattle. Many Portland areas are damn expensive too; there are still some pockets of affordability, but they are quickly disappearing. Lots of building going on in both cities and their surrounding metro areas.

You can get good views in either city. Seattle Puget Sound view homes are fantastic (but damn expensive) and arguably have better long-distance scenic views than Portland. But Portland has really nice neighborhoods too, with both old and new riverfront homes and good views (also pricey, but less than Seattle).

If it were me, I'd go for the city that has better employment prospects and future opportunities. Unless your family is going to be paying for your healthcare, retirement, and if you have kids, their eduction, it's all on you. So go for career satisfaction and material well-being. You can always fly to visit family.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
When we moved from Portland to Seattle, I got a 40% raise, wife, got a 30% raise, and then we had no state income tax...we thought we had gone to Nirvana (we kind of did We would never go back to Oregon unless we were retired.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:59 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
But Oregon has no sales tax and sales tax in the Seattle metro is around 9%
I might spend a few hundred a year annually with the WA sales tax and I have control on that through what I consume. Income tax can be many, many thousands annually and have no control over that. I'll take no state income tax vs. no sales tax any day of the week.

Additionally, most of what you spend in your monthly budget is not subject to a state sales tax in WA (rent, utilities, auto insurance, groceries, health insurance, etc...).

Portland has pretty bad traffic & congestion too and rents & house price have moved up significantly in recent years, Portland is no longer an inexpensive place to live.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 4,448 times
How are both states' property taxes? I know that in Washington it mainly depends on the county you live in. Is that the same for Oregon too? Overall, is one state's property taxes better than the other?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoiababy7 View Post
How are both states' property taxes? I know that in Washington it mainly depends on the county you live in. Is that the same for Oregon too? Overall, is one state's property taxes better than the other?
Taxes are very dependent on area and specific assessor, Both states can be bad, or can be good (reasonable)

In WA I have 2 rural homes less than a minute apart; same cost basis, different counties.

one property taxes are $14, 400 / yr, the other $1200 / yr.

Get to know your assessor, never let them in the house!
Be careful if you fight them in court, cuz they get very angry and will get you real bad in the end.

Many good reasons to choose Beer (Portland) over Coffee (Seattle) (or visa versa), but personal preferences and job / house tastes will vary with each situation.

There are great places in between the two metros.

Portland Traffic will never be as bad as Seattle. work off shift and you can get anywhere in Portland metro in 30 min. Seattle is MUCH too big to claim that. Similar in LA.... it can be HOURS north to south or east to west. It is just very BIG.

Washington is a good choice if you can put "Running Start" to use (free FT college instead of wasting away in HS.) Working and living in WA, but a few minutes to Portland is a pretty good trade-off. I prefer east / in the CGNSA, as;
no neighbors, no traffic, no noise, no growth allowed; yet <20 min to PDX / Ikea / HD / Costco / and 30 min to 20+ colleges. Pretty decent wages for me in during last 34 yrs in WA, but near Portland. Seattle is OK to visit, and if you want maximum bucks... you gotta pay the price of admission. There are many other ways to make up for the $5/hr. Quality of life / not sitting in traffic, and not paying 20 - 30 % extra for rent / housing is a pretty good start.

I vote for a cheap house, lower wages, and more free time to travel! Build a new house every 24 months and pocket $500k tax free gains. (just one of many ways to 'cope')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington