Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

How is the order of names on the ballot determined in Washington State? Another state I lived in alphabetized the candidates, beginning with a randomly selected letter, rather than putting the "big" ones on the top. I just opened my ballot and don't see any alphabetical or logical pattern in the listing of the candidates for President.

Please don't get this thrown into the politics forum. I'm asking about a procedure in Washington State, not inviting political argument. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 05:37 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,583 times
I notice you haven't gotten any responses to your question yet.
That may be because no one here is certain - myself included.
But I believe the order in which names appear is by random selection, which may explain why you find no rhyme or reason to the order on your ballot.
Hopefully someone can affirm or contradict this!

Old 10-19-2016, 05:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Looks like it's determined by lot:

After the close of business on the last day for candidates to file for office, the filing officer shall determine by lot the order in which the names of those candidates will appear on all ballots. The determination shall be done publicly and may be witnessed by the media and by any candidate.

RCW 29A.36.131: Order of candidates on ballots.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:34 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Looks like it's determined by lot:

After the close of business on the last day for candidates to file for office, the filing officer shall determine by lot the order in which the names of those candidates will appear on all ballots. The determination shall be done publicly and may be witnessed by the media and by any candidate.

RCW 29A.36.131: Order of candidates on ballots.
Thanks for finding that. What made me wonder about it is that the D and R candidates are at the top. So, coincidence. I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington