Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2016, 06:49 PM

14 posts, read 14,658 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just got back from Burlington, Wa. and decided to move there from Maryland. And would like some insight into buying property to put 2 pre fab houses on it maybe two adjoining pieces of property. My hope is to have property that has hook-ups for plumbing and all the utilities to run a home. If anyone has any info i would like your feedback. thanks for any leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 02:51 PM

735 posts, read 868,098 times
Zoning and permitting is what is probably going to give you headaches, unless you luck out and find a development that is selling lots and doesn't have CCR's preventing that type of housing. Though, I am not exactly sure what you mean by pre fab, are you talking modular or manufactured?

I would look up Stealth Rabbit's old posts, they seem to have building down to a science.

In the end it's going to come down where you build, most of WA isn't very builder friendly and some counties are less so then others. Then it comes down to incorporated vs city departments.

Post some more specifics and hopefully the forum can help you out.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:17 AM

14 posts, read 14,658 times
I guess they are pre manufactored made in a factory and put together on you piece of land that has plumbing, phone/internet,heat and everything it takes to live. We went to Everett and went to Heritage Home Center and found very appealing and affordable homes of course they were models. We would just have to find property to put them on.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:54 AM

735 posts, read 868,098 times
Yes, manufactured (you don't need to add a the "pre") have come a long way from the single wides we associate with trailer parks. You can even pay to have a steeper roof pitch, set it lower in the ground, add a garage and most people would swear it was a site built home. I have done plenty of research on the subject as I was looking into a relatively inexpensive way to take advantage of the hot greater Seattle area rental market. Still looking for a Goldilock property deal....in case anyone cares to share?

Do your due diligence on whichever dealer you go with, according to my research that seems to make or break your home experience.

The cost to do your site prep is going to vary greatly depending on numerous factors. If you're going to do a manufactured home, make sure that the house will actually be able to make it to a site, I am currently reading a book where they didn't factor in a small bridge

Hope this helps. If you have some more questions, just post or PM me, I have been researching building a custom home for awhile, so I know a little about the shared issues you'll be facing, though a lot of it is going to be site specific.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Rural or urban?
2 homes for Family or friends / caregiver / adult children / grandchildren?
You will be best to find adjacent lots, as 2 homes on one parcel is not ez to do, unless zoned duplex or multi family.

Rural, you can share one well, one driveway, one power drop (2 meters) but will need 2 septics (thus 2 parcels, (1per))

Very county or city specific, most of WA is pretty strict.

LEGALLY you CAN do a Temporary ' accessory' dwelling IF you comply. (Usually medical reasons to house FAMILY ONLY in accessory dwelling, and... it will have to be moved when you don't comply. (The county may require annual review)

For 'modulars' / MH, you can get screaming bargains USED, as many people get forced from MH Parks (turning property into condos / apartment) and don't have anywhere to move their homes.

Option 2, talk with the factories / distributors, it is possible to get 'pre-ordered homes' that have not been delivered, and often new homes that have been repo'd

A pre-fab home is usually a conventional home that is delivered as walls / roof... (quite uncommon) except in HUGE subdivisions where they have an on-site factory making the components (I have never seen this in WA).

Other options to pursue are the 'commodity' built homes HiLine Homes | HiLine Homes, Adair Homes | The PNW's Largest Custom Home Builder Which I have several friends who have used them for 'second' / retirement homes.

here is a foam home (similar to SIP). It has advantages and is essentially the benefit of Prefab.
http://www.realpeoplehomes.com/

I only build 'custom', as I like FREE energy efficiency, passive solar, super insulated, custom built-ins, lots of stone / woodwork, and angled / curved walls. Builders charge DEARLY for these items, but if you do them yourself, they are essentially free (cuz you need to do it anyway). Just takes a little more time, but makes your home very enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington