U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:34 AM

5 posts, read 6,477 times

Advertisements

So for a few years now I've had some friends who moved to the seattle area, & have encouraged me to do so. Currently we are in provo utah, & want to try to move up there in the next 2 years. I'm planning some trips to visit since my friends have a spare bedroom.

No kids, & not planning on ever having any so its just us. 4 nephews so I can visit them around the holidays. :P

Heres some info about me & my situation. I work from home, & wouldnt have to change jobs because I own my own business (commission artist). My girlfriend would need to find work, but one of the big reasons we are moving is so she can get back into theatre stage management(possibly branching into other related fields) as I hear that the entire seattle region has a strong scene for this. At first she would need to find stable work in general, she currently has been a manager at several sub sandwich shops in the area the last few years.

With that all being said, we would need to rent a rather decent sized house. Currently our house we rent is $1000 a month with a cat. It would be 900 without the cat but utah hates pets apparently for renters. its a 600 sq ft house with a 2 car garage that I do all my work out of, but I just need space not necessarily a garage.

One of the reasons I'm looking at the kitsap area especially around bremerton is the proximity to the ferries, as that will give my girlfriend the ability to travel to seattle to pursue finding work in her field, after we get moved. We also want to start looking for a starter home in the area, with the idea of being owner occupants & then slowly moving from home to home over the years till we can get a stable portfolio of properties.

So question time.

1, how strong is the economy/job market around bremerton? My girlfriend may need to have a day job for a while until she can dig her heals into the local community.

2, what neighborhoods/towns/areas around the region should be avoided at all costs?

3, what are the major things to watch out for in rentals in the area?

4, for future investment purposes, how stable do landlords in that area find renters to be? This one is a long term goal, but I would LOVE to set roots somewhere finally, & everything I've been reading about bremerton I'm already loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 02:05 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,317,061 times
I know that the military bases around Bremerton recently were hiring for awhile...can she do clerical? There's also the VA Med Center. Also, there is a big mall & tons of adjacent shopping areas in Silverdale, with a lot of chain restaurants, so there is retail, food service.

I'm not familiar with neighborhoods in Bremerton, but the towns of Silverdale, Poulsbo & Port Orchard are good & close to Bremerton.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I know that the military bases around Bremerton recently were hiring for awhile...can she do clerical? Also, there is a big mall & tons of adjacent shopping areas in Silverdale, with a lot of chain restaurants, so there is retail, food service.

I'm not familiar with neighborhoods in Bremerton, but the towns of Silverdale, Poulsbo & Port Orchard are good & close to Bremerton.
She does tons of paperwork for her job managing people, so I imagine it shouldnt be too hard for her. I'll mention it & see what she thinks.

Her job history has mostly been food service so I imagine if theres alot of sub shop style places around she shouldnt have a hard time getting in at one of those, though I know shes damned tired of that profession so the military base might give her a nice change of scenery.

I've been looking at both rentals & homes for sale, though I think we might rent for a year or two to get a feel for the area before we buy. I did see some really decent priced homes around port orchard for sale. My major worry is I've heard alot of homes in the area have problems with mold due to the dampness?

Old 01-05-2017, 01:32 PM

6,063 posts, read 4,230,330 times
The Bremerton Ferry takes an hour to get to Seattle, plus whatever time it takes to get to the ferry and to your destination. If your starting point and/or destination is not near the terminals, total trip time can run 1.5-2 hours. It can also suffer delays or cancellations - if a higher priority route (like Bainbridge) is down a boat, a boat might be borrowed from the Bremerton route, then replaced by a smaller standby boat, if available.

While walking onto the ferries is inexpensive, driving on is expensive and requires arriving much earlier to insure you don't get left at the dock by a full boat. After 7:55pm from Seattle, there are only two sailings, at 9:05pm and 11:40pm. If you miss the last sailing, you'll need to stay overnight in Seattle, if walking on, or drive around via the Tacoma Narrows Toll Bridge. I'd guess that this could put a major crimp in her hopes of furthering her theatre/stage management career in Seattle.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:50 PM

71,798 posts, read 63,003,359 times
OP, you'll find yourself paying more rent than you do now. The Bremerton/Kitsap area is not as high-rent as Seattle, but it's not that cheap, either. Check out Craigslist to get an idea. You can look at Bremerton, Silverdale, Poulsbo (smaller town) for starters. There would be food-service-related jobs in all those places (and Pouslbo is commutable to the larger towns), plus she could consider supervisory jobs in grocery stores, like in the deli section, say. You could Google around to see if there's anything happening in the theater field around Bremerton/Kitsap.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-05-2017 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The Bremerton Ferry takes an hour to get to Seattle, plus whatever time it takes to get to the ferry and to your destination. If your starting point and/or destination is not near the terminals, total trip time can run 1.5-2 hours. It can also suffer delays or cancellations - if a higher priority route (like Bainbridge) is down a boat, a boat might be borrowed from the Bremerton route, then replaced by a smaller standby boat, if available.

While walking onto the ferries is inexpensive, driving on is expensive and requires arriving much earlier to insure you don't get left at the dock by a full boat. After 7:55pm from Seattle, there are only two sailings, at 9:05pm and 11:40pm. If you miss the last sailing, you'll need to stay overnight in Seattle, if walking on, or drive around via the Tacoma Narrows Toll Bridge. I'd guess that this could put a major crimp in her hopes of furthering her theatre/stage management career in Seattle.
This is exactly the kinda information I was looking for. Thanks! I've seen theres also a ferry from southworth as well so does that one get very cramped? How often does the ferry go down? Theres also the chance that she finds some theatre work down near tacoma, which would push us further south with our house hunt, but all this is up in the air still till she can do some solid hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth
OP, you'll find yourself paying more rent than you do now. The Bremerton/Kitsap area is not as high-rent as Seattle, but it's not that cheap, either. Check out Craigslist to get an idea. You can look at Bremerton, Silverdale, Poulsbo (smaller town) for starters. There would be food-service-related jobs in all those places (and Pouslbo is commutable to the larger towns), plus she could consider supervisory jobs in grocery stores, like in the deli section, say. You could Google around to see if there's anything happening in the theater field around Bremerton/Kitsap.
We understand rent will be a bit higher, but we are currently facing a similar price hike with our current landlord likely to sell in the next year. So far if we have to find a new place this next month or two we are looking at least at 1200 a month for a place here.

The food related jobs I think she would do well in, even if she cant do theatre full time for the travel/logistics/pay reasons. The issue is that here none of the shows pay anything so its very hard to justify her time doing it, which makes her pretty depressed given its her passion. If she could find something in kitsap, even a small theatre gig running things for them, that would be fantastic.

Shes sadly not the type to act, she gets stage fright very easy, she just loves running the shows behind the scenes. I've also had a few friends up there mention some burlesque shows in the area so we are looking into that.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 PM

983 posts, read 682,219 times
Apparently they plan on adding passenger only ferries to Seattle by 2020. Go to kitsaptransit.com and look for information there. 4 routes from Kitsap County. Should be faster than the car ferries - about 1/2 hour or less. Of course, you wouldn't have the service for a few years, but it might help down the road...

Old 01-06-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Apparently they plan on adding passenger only ferries to Seattle by 2020. Go to kitsaptransit.com and look for information there. 4 routes from Kitsap County. Should be faster than the car ferries - about 1/2 hour or less. Of course, you wouldn't have the service for a few years, but it might help down the road...
From what Im reading on their website, bremerton to seattle will go into effect next summer, then kingston in 2018 & southworth in 2020.

That actually is very appealing & encouraging given our timeline for moving to the area

Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 AM

735 posts, read 536,857 times
Not to be a downer, but I know a little about the theater (probably should type that as theatre) scene in this state, I have friends who are passionate about it, whether acting or behind the scenes work. Paying gigs are few and far between, doesn't matter what kind of degrees and from what schools they graduated from and the small group that can and does make a living from it are pretty insular. I am friends with a lot of creative types and it's hard to see when they can't make a go out of their passion.

If your girlfriend is opened to a career change, after a nine month program she could be making $70,000 working as an engineer on the ferries.

Help wanted: Washington State Ferries needs engineers | KOMO

Old 01-06-2017, 11:13 AM

6,063 posts, read 4,230,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner40k View Post
This is exactly the kinda information I was looking for. Thanks! I've seen theres also a ferry from southworth as well so does that one get very cramped? How often does the ferry go down? Theres also the chance that she finds some theatre work down near tacoma, which would push us further south with our house hunt, but all this is up in the air still till she can do some solid hunting.
Southworth serves Port Orchard, where there are more affordable housing options. You still need to get to the terminal, either by bus, park-n-ride/bus, or drop-off, since there is no parking at the terminal. Southworth also goes to Fauntleroy in West Seattle, with a long bus-ride required to get to Downtown, so the total travel time isn't much different than from Bremerton. The situation is the same for driving on - expensive and long queues/waits.

With a Gig Harbor to Tacoma commute, you have to figure in the cost of bridge tolls: $5/day (you only pay eastbound). Traffic to and from the bridge can be bad.

The state has been adding new ferries, so the chances of being a boat down (on the Bremerton or Southworth runs) aren't as bad, but you might still end up being stuck with a smaller boat.

If she's serious about following a theatre/stage management career, living in the Seattle or Tacoma areas might be the better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or