Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,013 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I may relocate to Enumclaw soon from Lynnwood.
Any idea how life will be looklike there?
Is it easy to find an aprtment?
Are people friendly?
Is it safe (overall)?
I'll be glad to hear your opinion, and pros and cons of living there.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,393,255 times
I'm told it's a great place if you're a horse fancier.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,733,289 times
The biggest con will be telling outsiders how to pronounce it.

Seriously, it is in the Mt. Rainier eruption path that will happen tomorrow, or 1,000 years from now.

The biggest pro is still decent COL within the Sea/Tac metro.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:01 PM

735 posts, read 864,215 times
It's a great area, beautiful views! Though of course it's the leading reason that makes Rainier one of the deadliest volcanoes in the world, as more and more people move into it's path of destruction and the egress points are still choke holds. The state knows that when Rainier erupts we're going to lose people, that we can't safely evacuate the residents that currently live in the region, yet they keep permitting more and more housing and are not doing anything on evacuation routes.

The good news is that usually mountains give ample evidence before they blow and that if you are a renter you have less reason to stick around, but I wouldn't live there and this is coming from someone that has done a lot of stupid crazy things in their life.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
Here's a map - Mount Rainier: One of Our Nation's Most Dangerous Volcanoes

Keep in mind that when Mt. St. Helens blew in 1981, the blast location and the flow direction was unexpected.

David Johnston, the USGS employee who was killed, was observing the mountain's activity from a site that was reasonably expected to be sheltered from the immediate blast. Instead, he turned out to be in its direct path. https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observato..._johnston.html

Now I personally love these volcanoes, and there is no such thing as a surprise eruption. While we can know when a volcano is showing increased activity, we can't know exactly when it will blow. The people who died as a result of Mt. St. Helens did so because it had been rumbling for a couple months, people got used to it, and decided to take the risk of not evacuating, going sightseeing, and/or resuming logging. For some, it was a fatal mistake.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:21 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
One of the weirdest, or obvious signs of the devastation was how Spirit Lake looked after the blast. That lake was so beautiful before the blast, especially on a sunny day sitting with St. Helens right there as a backdrop. Gorgeous setting turned into oblivion right quick!

Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 AM

Except Mt. Rainier has shown no signs of eruption in recent decades. The late 19th century evidently produced some minor burps, and that is the last known activity. I don't think this mountain will explode without warnings, and the science is much more advanced today. However, this might not be good news to homeowners in the danger area. Yes, they might be able to get out of the way, but their real estate may be vulnerable. I equate this to many other threats...hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. You need to decide based on risk as you perceive it.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:21 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,322,526 times
Great area, HORRIBLE place to commute from. Enumclaw hasn't had the absurd growth of many areas but to get out of the area you have to drive through over crowded, gridlocked areas. If you work in Enumclaw it would be a great place to live.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:01 AM

I doubt Mt. Rainier will prevent growth in the South Sound areas like Enumclaw. I think this area will continue to grow, perhaps more slowly than the rest of the Pugetropolis, and for that, I'm not sure why. I think it may have to do with lack of transportation corridors, as many through this area have not kept up with growth. A 2-lane highway won't cut it anymore within 20 miles of major job centers.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:35 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Great area, HORRIBLE place to commute from. Enumclaw hasn't had the absurd growth of many areas but to get out of the area you have to drive through over crowded, gridlocked areas. If you work in Enumclaw it would be a great place to live.
Yes, Enumclaw is great, unless you need to get out of it, to work, shop, be entertained, etc. The commuter-routes, 164 and 410, are clogged, clogged, clogged, and a long way from the main north-south travel corridors (167 and I-5). If you need to commute, Bonney Lake is a better choice.

On the other hand, if you like picturesque inaccessibility that is on the way to nowhere else, untroubled even by summer tourists, try Buckley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington