U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 PM

15 posts, read 8,706 times

Advertisements

I am considering applying for a good position at WWU, but haven't been to Bellingham since 1991. I have lived all over the country (born in Indiana, raised in NorCal, lived in Minneapolis, New England for 18 years, and one year in Boulder). I am want to live in a walkable community. I am super tired of having to drive everywhere. I will be moving from Connecticut, so I am very used to high costs of living. I am newly single after 17 years of marriage and want to be someplace near my Pacific Ocean. Anyone have any insights for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 04:48 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,675,607 times
Fairhaven is walkable, cute, and near WWU. Welcome!

Old 01-27-2017, 01:35 PM

6,064 posts, read 4,237,220 times
Look west of I-5 - east is much less walkable. If you can afford it: Lettered Streets neighborhood or Fairhaven (or in between). For more affordable rentals, look in Happy Valley, on the lee side of Sehome Hill from WWU. Stay away from the "student" areas, southeast of State St., unless you're a fan of drunken street revels.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:08 PM

957 posts, read 900,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Look west of I-5 - east is much less walkable. If you can afford it: Lettered Streets neighborhood or Fairhaven (or in between). For more affordable rentals, look in Happy Valley, on the lee side of Sehome Hill from WWU. Stay away from the "student" areas, southeast of State St., unless you're a fan of drunken street revels.
Exactly. For the most part, west of I-5 is where you want to be since walkability is important to you. I would suggest Fairhaven, Happy Valley, Sehome, South Hill, York, Sunnyland, Lettered Streets and Columbia neighborhoods, as they all have things very close by. If you're okay with biking, you can live a little further out, and Puget, Birchwood, Cornwall Park, Roosevelt, and Barkley would work-even across I-5, as there are bridges and overpasses to get you across safely. One thing to note- the south side of town is much hillier, but WWU's location is very centralized to most things in town. Student housing is all over town, but mostly concentrated in areas around campus.

Here's a neighborhood map, for reference: https://www.cob.org/services/plannin...files-map.aspx.

Since it's been a while, visit the area again for a few days to see if you like it. If you need suggestions on things to do and see, let us know!

Old 01-27-2017, 05:21 PM

337 posts, read 779,444 times
Walkable = Fairhaven

Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 PM

15 posts, read 8,706 times
Thank you all so much for your input. Phone interview tomorrow!

Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 PM

1,541 posts, read 797,237 times
In 1995 I bought a house in the Cornwall Park area, less than 900 square feet on a small lot. Very comfortable and walk able area. I recall I paid $89/k and sold in '98 for $105. Last time it sold was 2013 for $265 and has risen significantly since then.

Great neighborhood. West of I-5 is best.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM

337 posts, read 199,360 times
Read the thread Bellingham, the ugly truth, on this WA subforum before moving.

Especially read posts on pages 57 and 58.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 PM

957 posts, read 900,207 times
The "Ugly Truth" is that Bellingham is very desirable, there just aren't enough local, well-paying jobs and it's nearly impossible to find a decent, affordable place to rent or buy.

Profnot- the OP mentioned several times that she came across a potentially good job prospect, which is probably the hardest challenge for most people. If that works out, why would she not want to relocate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or