U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 08:07 AM

67 posts, read 155,202 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am thinking about spending 2 months in the Kenmore area for a 2 month temporary assignment from end of March - end of April of this year. I am not going to have access to a car and wondering how easy or difficult it is to get to the hiking trails, woods, parks via public transit. Even though I am orginally from New England, living in warm climate for past 5 years, I have to admit I bit nervous about the current weather -heavy rain and snow and how long it will last. Thanks so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:46 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,191,083 times
Might get a better response if you post this in the Seattle forum. My impression of Kenmore is it's more a bedroom community - you have to go somewhere to do anything. The Seattle area does have fairly good public transportation and might be doable for the two months you're here. Don't worry about snow when you're here and the rain only lasts until the first part of July.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 AM

16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish94 View Post
Hi everyone. I am thinking about spending 2 months in the Kenmore area for a 2 month temporary assignment from end of March - end of April of this year. I am not going to have access to a car and wondering how easy or difficult it is to get to the hiking trails, woods, parks via public transit. Even though I am orginally from New England, living in warm climate for past 5 years, I have to admit I bit nervous about the current weather -heavy rain and snow and how long it will last. Thanks so much everyone!
Weather - snow doesn't last long in the lowlands. Rain is just something you'll have to cope with, although you can expect some truly sunny days in April.

The transit system in the metro area is very good, and if you will be happy doing your hiking in urban areas, you should have no trouble getting there.

Getting to hiking in the Olympics and Cascades is trickier, and you would definitely run into snow.

Start with these sources -
Hiking Around Puget Sound
Metro Transit - King County
WSDOT - Ferries
King County Trails - King County

Also, I take it that this is a temporary job assignment? Ask your contact at your workplace if there is someone there who is a hiker, and can give you some suggestions. The likelihood is quite high.

And don't forget Meet-up. Search on "Seattle hiking", to find groups and see what they're doing.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish94 View Post
The weather may be starting to improve about the time you're leaving. May is beautiful and June is our best month. This is a tough time of year to plan outdoor activities, if you don't like at least the strong possibility of rain. It doesn't rain all the time, but you should plan on rain.... and if it doesn't, you can be pleasantly surprised.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:52 PM

6,151 posts, read 4,361,630 times
#234 will take you from Kenmore to Saint Edward State Park, and to Bellevue (and its parks). See also:

Parks & Trails | City of Kenmore, Washington

#234 + #248 (via Kirkland) will take you to Marymoor Park in Redmond.

#234 + #240 (via Bellevue TC) + #554 (via I-90 Expwy Ramp & 142nd Pl NE) will take you to the Issaquah TC, which is walking distance from trailheads into Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or