Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
"Shouldn't" A lot of stuff "shouldn't" happen and does anyway. That's why a lot of headlines occur. "Why, that isn't what one would have expected". Most of what happens is annoying and occasionally expensive. Like Oso. That "shouldn't have happened". A lot of documentaries came out of that landslide. Surveyors now know there are signs of other landslides. Oso was settled in the pattern it was because no one TOLD the residents of these past occurrences. I'm pretty sure the coming year will prompt further studies which won't be done till homes are covered and people are dead. That's our kind of civilization.
It sounds like your debating my statement regarding landslides. To be clear, my intention was to convey the heavy precipitation the past 2 years is contributing to it and thus, more likely to occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Well, THAT really helps! So society is NO better off than 10,000 years ago. Thank you VERY MUCH, western science!
Huh? Where did I say anything about "society"? What does "society" have to do with natural disasters?

Or did you forget what you were ranting about?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Huh? Where did I say anything about "society"? What does "society" have to do with natural disasters?

Or did you forget what you were ranting about?
Can't believe you don't see the relevance of the victims.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Fires shouldn't be a big issue this year with the past two years having plenty of rain and snow. Landslides are a different story.
Actually...wet winters can set the stage for dense growth of 'ladder fuels' / underbrush. (TROUBLE if we have a dry / windy summer)

Since we humans can't endure the MASSIVE fires of yester-centuries and millenniums. We have upset the natural balance, and we will continue to artificially sustain forests and urban interface. It is a done deal. Too dense of undergrowth, too many deer / unnecessary domestic animals (especially pets), and not nearly enough predators. Seems all we can do at this point is "Nuke the Whales!"

Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Can't believe you don't see the relevance of the victims.
I guess I'm totally missing your point. I thought you were trying to make some comment about climate change being the reason that these natural disasaters seem to be getting worse.

So, I then made a comment that they may not be worse, but rather that more people are now affected, simply because there is MORE people.

And then you commented that somehow our society hasn't evolved, and your evidence to your point is that more people are affected by natural disasters???

Or maybe you are just making a pointless rant about how people should predict disasters better? Because many natural disasters HAVE been predicted - such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, but that doesn't stop people from building houses in earthquake or volcano-prone areas. If that's it - do you have a solution, or are you just complaining?

Last time I checked, we still can't control the weather...

I guess I will butt out of this thread...

Old 02-24-2017, 11:40 PM

268 posts, read 366,554 times
Marshal Kim Jong-Un declares that new poster makes no sense, therefore is banned by Ministry of Information.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Marshal Kim Jong-Un declares that new poster makes no sense, therefore is banned by Ministry of Information.
That is the first time I've appreciated Kim Jong-Un.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington