Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 01:03 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times

Advertisements

I'm considering it as possibly a place to move but always hear there are bad areas to avoid. I've been there a few times but never really saw any bad areas but I moved here from NYC so maybe my judgement is different in what is considered a bad area. People always say the south end but I'm not exactly sure where that line begins and ends. Can anyone specifically point out the bad areas? Just trying to figure out what apartments I should go look at when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 02:21 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I'm considering it as possibly a place to move but always hear there are bad areas to avoid. I've been there a few times but never really saw any bad areas but I moved here from NYC so maybe my judgement is different in what is considered a bad area. People always say the south end but I'm not exactly sure where that line begins and ends. Can anyone specifically point out the bad areas? Just trying to figure out what apartments I should go look at when the time comes.
What is it you are looking for in comparison to Olympia? I think of Olympia as rather nice so if you are considering leaving it, why?

Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
It's been awhile since I lived in Tacoma but I'd avoid the South Tacoma Way corridor from 38th on down.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What is it you are looking for in comparison to Olympia? I think of Olympia as rather nice so if you are considering leaving it, why?
Olympia is nice! Me and my fiancee just feel it may be a bit too small for us. We are just spoiled by bigger cities cities I suppose. We are looking at Tacoma and Vancouver (for proximity to Portland)

Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Olympia is nice! Me and my fiancee just feel it may be a bit too small for us. We are just spoiled by bigger cities cities I suppose. We are looking at Tacoma and Vancouver (for proximity to Portland)
Okay, that makes sense. We like the Eastside (of Seattle) for that reason.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Okay, that makes sense. We like the Eastside (of Seattle) for that reason.
Likely a bit out of our price range I imagine. We are paying about $1100/mo for our apartment now in Olympia. I suspect Tacoma is the cheapest option that is closest to Seattle?

Old 03-18-2017, 03:36 PM

40 posts, read 52,120 times
Quote:
Likely a bit out of our price range I imagine. We are paying about $1100/mo for our apartment now in Olympia. I suspect Tacoma is the cheapest option that is closest to Seattle?
I live in Kirkland and the housing prices are outrageous up here. A decent (not high end and no view) 1 BR will cost $1500+. I used to live in Olympia as well and started my search in Tacoma. Honestly, unless you're right downtown, or maybe University Place or Ruston/North End, there isn't much in the way of good areas that would have apartments IMO. That's why I ended up this far north. But I think you can find a little cheaper in the Mill Creek area.

I would go south to Vancouver before I would move to Tacoma.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 AM

545 posts, read 411,179 times
The worst parts of Tacoma are the South End (south of Hwy 16 and Center St, between Fircrest and I-5) and the Eastside (south of I-5, east of Yakima St). There are mixed good & bad parts all over the South end, but the North and West Ends are pretty nice. Don't listen to the haters: there are some very nice parts of Tacoma. For renters, I would suggest the Wedge/Stadium district before it gets too pricey. Hilltop, formerly a gang warfare area in the '90s, is doing nicely and will only get better once the light rail gets built.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:24 AM

18 posts, read 29,036 times
It's hit and miss. I would recommend looking at Trulia's crime map when looking for areas.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Not many areas in Tacoma that are "NY bad".

For an up-and-coming, but still affordable (and "gritty") area, look at the areas west of the Tacoma Mall and along South Tacoma Way, from S. 38th St. to S. 66th St., or so. Sometimes referred to as Mid Tacoma.

https://www.seattleweekly.com/news/p...-to-the-burbs/

For instance:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/apa/6063681490.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington