Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM

13,024 posts, read 7,410,060 times

Advertisements

We are mid Valley Oregonians and we want to move to Sound area for the less rain and less yard/farm work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 AM

44 posts, read 64,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bellingham is within your drive time window, but it's Rain Central. Port Townsend would be nice, but between driving + the ferry, it would take longer to get to Seattle than you want. You might consider some flexibility in that regard. People like Poulsbo--it's much closer to the ferry. The ferries don't outright cancel service but rarely. A low tide can mess up the schedule, though. You could try someplace just the other side of the mountains, like Leavenworth. It's within your drive window, and is on the dry side of the mountains. A bit too touristy, but it's the concept of the western edge of Eastern WA that I'm suggesting. Lake Chelan is farther than your window, but gorgeous!

Being flexible with some of your criteria could really open up some intriguing possibilities.
Good points, thank you. I realize that the more flexible we are, the more possibilities we have. Port Townsend would be nice, wonder if we could afford it? I've visited the Leavenworth area and find it very boring and kitschy, and much too hot in the summer, but I know plenty of people like it.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM

102,100 posts, read 107,266,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJK993 View Post
Good points, thank you. I realize that the more flexible we are, the more possibilities we have. Port Townsend would be nice, wonder if we could afford it? I've visited the Leavenworth area and find it very boring and kitschy, and much too hot in the summer, but I know plenty of people like it.
OK, so you don't want hot summers, I can sympathize. IDK what "affordable" means to you, but Pt Townsend is a lot more affordable than Seattle. It's growing, so RE values will be going up; this is a good time to buy, before it gets out of hand. Other options in the area that may be slightly more affordable are Port Hadlock and Port Ludlow, just south of Pt T, within an easy drive. Pt Ludlow is closer to the ferry; locating there would shave about 1/2 hr. off your drive time. But those two towns are very small; depends on how small you're willing to go.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:20 PM

Thank you again; I hadn't considered Port Ludlow or Port Hadlock (which I thought was "Port Haddock," lol). I see some golf course condos in that area, which the hubs might like. :-D

Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 PM

102,100 posts, read 107,266,232 times
Quote:
Thank you again; I hadn't considered Port Ludlow or Port Hadlock (which I thought was "Port Haddock," lol). I see some golf course condos in that area, which the hubs might like. :-D
There was a relative in my family who retired to Pt Ludlow and loved it. I drove through there a couple of years ago, when visiting Pt Townsend and considering a move to the area, and it seemed to me to be too small and not have enough social activity and interesting things to do, but that was only the impression of someone driving through.

It seems that there are some community activities and groups, so if you're considering it as a possible location, you should look into it in more detail. Of course, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want mainly someplace quiet, scenic and with a golfcourse, and within an easy drive of restaurants (Port Townsend), it could work.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM

8,063 posts, read 8,316,330 times
Quote:
Anyway, thank you to all who have posted helpful replies. Any opinions on Gig Harbor?
Good access to Hood Canal and the east side of ONP - Lake Cushman/Staircase, Hamma Hamma/Lena Lakes, Duckabush/Brothers Wilderness, Dosewallips. Close to Tacoma, but across a toll bridge. At best, at the far edge of your desired drive time to Seattle.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:00 PM

1,967 posts, read 2,217,919 times
Sequim is one hour from Poulsbo/ Bremerton if the Hood Canal bridge is clear, and it's two full hours plus $6 toll to Sea-Tac with optimal conditions (no traffic). Downtown Seattle could easily add an hour to the travel time. So IMHO this would not be practicable on a daily basis.

However, occasional trips are feasible, and the downtown ferry can work nicely with taxis and ubers on the Seattle side.

Sequim is reasonably priced, and there is somewhat less precipitation than the rest of the peninsula. But as someone upthread noted, if it's raining in Port Angeles, it might be just misty in Sequim, but it will still be largely gray and overcast with glimmers of sunshine from time to time.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:06 PM

Thank you westender. We're retired and wouldn't be commuting to a job or making daily trips.

Do you know how golfing is in and around Sequim? Many public courses?

Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 PM

162 posts, read 197,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Ok...I tried warning you!!

Do post your eperiences after two years in western Washington. But bless you for at least trying to live over there.
I was born and raised in the Seattle area (and slightly north of there is where I grew up) and lived there until I was 30, I am now living in California and I'm moving back to Western Washington this year.
It is your right to hate Western Washington but it's a lovely area.
You do realize it's your opinion, and this is my opinion and EVERY OTHER person has their own opinion right? Some may say that Kent is the most beautiful city, I disagree. Some may say that Snohomish is a bustling metropolis ( lol), I disagree. It is all a matter of opinion and perspective.

I think the OP would be happy in Pouslbo or Sequim

Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 PM

8,063 posts, read 8,316,330 times
Quote:
Thank you westender. We're retired and wouldn't be commuting to a job or making daily trips.

Do you know how golfing is in and around Sequim? Many public courses?
Sequim is ground zero for the Olympics' rain shadow. Micro-climates can cause a lot of variation, however.

Drive-time, however, could be more like three hours, if not more, depending on when traveling and where you're going to/coming from. 101 can get congested in the summer. Rough water can close the Hood Canal Floating Bridge. In the tourist season, there can be backups to the bridge and delays at the ferry terminals.

The Cedars at Dungeness in Sequim, Washington, USA | Golf Advisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington