Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 AM

403 posts, read 681,069 times

Advertisements

To set yourself apart from the more traditional IT type jobs, if you are fairly math-savvy, i.e., math through linear algebra and multi-var calculus, inferential stats/probability theory, maybe consider the data science field. It is fairly open and Seattle is one of the main hiring hubs for people in these positions. You'd definitely want some programming under your belt (R, Python, Java, SQL, for example) and an eye for handling data and analytics. There are lots of training opportunities online, and some schools are starting to develop formal data science curriculum as well. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2017, 01:34 PM

114 posts, read 112,452 times
To the OP: I understand where you are coming from. I see a lot of similarities with you, as someone who, back in my early 20s, wanted the heck out of Wisconsin (mainly the freezing cold winters, snow shoveling, and brutally humid summers). I couldn't wait to get out of there, frankly. I miss the friendly Midwestern folks, being able to watch my Brewers and Packers without having to buy the MLB and NFL packages ... but that's about it. I've been gone for 20 years and haven't regretted it.

I noticed that you used the word "hate" several times in your post - hate is a strong word. If you really are that unhappy in NJ, you do owe it to yourself to explore opportunities in WA, or other states like OR, as you mentioned. You can always move back if you find you don't like it. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Old 05-24-2017, 02:03 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
"Everyone needs IT people" and every one of them out here has a Bachelor's or Master's. Exaggeration, but there is very high degree of attainment here among candidates, not to forget relevant certs too. No idea how to get entry level, better start up internships and make a LOT Of friends. Friend of mine's kid is starting UofW this fall, full ride, and has an internship lined up. She's graduating with honors, the real kind: not some jerkwater ghetto school where every child who bothers to show up is an "honor student." Smart kids and adults look a couple steps ahead most of the time.

I had a job lined up "Out West" when I graduated, that mostly fell through. I rallied and had professional employment in a month, after a couple weeks of temping in my field. Young people are flexible, so you'd better be.

BTW: fleeing someplace to "get some peace" or "I hate it here" can be a major setup to fail. Or, success, if you have the moxie and drive to succeed. Whatever you are fleeing will find you again, btw. Ask me how I know.

I had no use for my family, home town, or anyone in it so did the same. Worked out great, with plenty of struggle, but I was seldom if-ever not professionally employed in my field(s). Times are different now, though: I think you grads today have to put in waaaaaay more effort to line up that first gig, or gigs, rather than put stamps on twenty letters and make forty phone calls (long distance) as I did way back when.

Oh: you have little idea what "weather" and other stupid stuff is about in Seattle until you get here. Some love it, some hate it, some of us tolerate it due to the fabulous economy and overwhelming social culture that encourages people to stay *out* of other's business, which does not concern them.

There is nothing "crowded" here other than greater Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, which is where everyone lives who wants to work in IT. You will be gridlocked going SOV long distances, so don't (or ride a motorcycle, or best of all take a bus or Link). Go 50 miles north and south of town you're in farm country and little else, or a swamp covered with scrub pine and blackberries. There isn't a lot here, we're hemmed by water on the left and this lil' ol' mountain range call "the Cascades" to the right.

Yeah, living in New Jersey, New York (esp), Mass, or on the other end California, is to invite tax disaster. Hell with that. WA tries to sneak it in too, as does Oregon, but so far so "mostly" good on that front. Nor have Communist gun laws overwhelmed the state...yet...but that's an ongoing fight.

I couldn't be dragged from WA during my working years for these and other investment-related reasons.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:06 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
"Everyone needs IT people" and every one of them out here has a Bachelor's or Master's. Exaggeration, but there is very high degree of attainment here among candidates, not to forget relevant certs too. No idea how to get entry level, better start up internships and make a LOT Of friends. Friend of mine's kid is starting UofW this fall, full ride, and has an internship lined up. She's graduating with honors, the real kind: not some jerkwater ghetto school where every child who bothers to show up is an "honor student." Smart kids and adults look a couple steps ahead most of the time.

I had a job lined up "Out West" when I graduated, that mostly fell through. I rallied and had professional employment in a month, after a couple weeks of temping in my field. Young people are flexible, so you'd better be.

BTW: fleeing someplace to "get some peace" or "I hate it here" can be a major setup to fail. Or, success, if you have the moxie and drive to succeed. Whatever you are fleeing will find you again, btw. Ask me how I know.

I had no use for my family, home town, or anyone in it so did the same. Worked out great, with plenty of struggle, but I was seldom if-ever not professionally employed in my field(s). Times are different now, though: I think you grads today have to put in waaaaaay more effort to line up that first gig, or gigs, rather than put stamps on twenty letters and make forty phone calls (long distance) as I did way back when.

Oh: you have little idea what "weather" and other stupid stuff is about in Seattle until you get here. Some love it, some hate it, some of us tolerate it due to the fabulous economy and overwhelming social culture that encourages people to stay *out* of other's business, which does not concern them.

There is nothing "crowded" here other than greater Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, which is where everyone lives who wants to work in IT. You will be gridlocked going SOV long distances, so don't (or ride a motorcycle, or best of all take a bus or Link). Go 50 miles north and south of town you're in farm country and little else, or a swamp covered with scrub pine and blackberries. There isn't a lot here, we're hemmed by water on the left and this lil' ol' mountain range call "the Cascades" to the right.

Yeah, living in New Jersey, New York (esp), Mass, or on the other end California, is to invite tax disaster. Hell with that. WA tries to sneak it in too, as does Oregon, but so far so "mostly" good on that front. Nor have Communist gun laws overwhelmed the state...yet...but that's an ongoing fight.

I couldn't be dragged from WA during my working years for these and other investment-related reasons.
Your post is just inspirational because it sounds like my dream in life. Okay, however "fleeing" is not really a reason to move to the west coast. I just hate the east coast in general (climate, culture, etc.) so that's basically the only reason why I would want to move to the west coast. I just use the fleeing thing as another reason why it's good to move far from NJ.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:08 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgkrudi View Post
To the OP: I understand where you are coming from. I see a lot of similarities with you, as someone who, back in my early 20s, wanted the heck out of Wisconsin (mainly the freezing cold winters, snow shoveling, and brutally humid summers). I couldn't wait to get out of there, frankly. I miss the friendly Midwestern folks, being able to watch my Brewers and Packers without having to buy the MLB and NFL packages ... but that's about it. I've been gone for 20 years and haven't regretted it.

I noticed that you used the word "hate" several times in your post - hate is a strong word. If you really are that unhappy in NJ, you do owe it to yourself to explore opportunities in WA, or other states like OR, as you mentioned. You can always move back if you find you don't like it. Best of luck and keep us posted!
I'll keep you posted! But obviously, nobody knows where all of us are going to land in the future! So if I don't end up having a career and life in Washington state, there would be no point in keeping Washington state people in the Washington state threads updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington