U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2006, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,641 times

Advertisements

A BIG "Hello" to you wonderful & lucky Washington people! Count your blessing and be thankful that you live in the beautiful Northwest!!!!

My family and I are so homesick for Washington that there is no way to fully describe it! We are originally from the Vancouver area but are currently stuck in "Arkansuck" (Arkansas) for job training purposes! Let me tell you that there is NO comparison between Washington and Arkansas....NO COMPARISON ! Yes, land is cheap here....but what use is it when summer time is too hot and humid to go outside and enjoy it? Yes, winters are fairly mild....but talk about UGLY!....everything is brown and dead looking and the air makes your skin so dry that it cracks! Taxes here are crazy! Heck, it seems that they tax you for the use of air for breathing! The people here are SO different (to say the least) than people in Washington....we've been here nearly 2 years and we are still waiting to see even a small hint of "southern hospitality"!!!!

However-----some good news! There is a chance that we may get to "move back home to Washington" sometime soon and, if that happens, we may end up in either the White Salmon area or maybe Pasco....I know these areas are different than Vancouver....so, could someone please tell us....
WHAT IS THERE TO KNOW ABOUT THESE AREAS such as Crime-schools-land/home availability-weather-and so on????

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 PM

597 posts, read 1,717,683 times
West Pasco is nice and lots of new developments are popping up and are quite affordable ($120k+ new) compared to the rest of the Tri-Cities. The area has a desert climate--320+ days of no clouds, but dry. East Pasco, as well as east Kennewick, are essentially overrun by migrants and they are both run down areas with a rising crime problem. If you live outside of those areas, the Tri-Cities is an excellent place to live and raise a family, IMO. Do research on the schools if you're living in Pasco, like I said the westside is good for the most part, but you'd want to be sure you went to the good schools, cause the east side schools are downright awful. On the other hand, Kennewick and Richland have some of the best schools in the state. Good luck on the search.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:37 AM

295 posts, read 428,226 times
The valley above White Salmon is gorgeous. Mt. Adams is in your backyard, and the Columbia Gorge is your front yard.

Regarding taxes, be forewarned that WA state taxes and spending are slightly higher than AR (10.9 vs 10.3% of state income), and are much more regressive (no income tax, but high sales tax), so hit low and moderate income households harder.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 22,514 times
You really only see the bad instead of the good. I see struggles of families trying to make there way in life. There is a little bit of everything in Tri-Cities just like other states, there is good and there is bad just like other areas I have been here 26 yrs and I have seen this area go up and out. Bad goes everywhere sometimes people don't see it in the better areas as some call it, but there not looking for it as when your in a so called bad area you seem to fine it. Life is what you make it.
When you look for trouble you will fine it.

Last edited by mmelisadc; 01-17-2007 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: rewrite

Old 01-17-2007, 06:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,140 posts, read 33,609,250 times
White Salmon is on the 'spendy side', but proximity to skiing and wind surfing and PDX can be an advantage.

Building Lots are all in the $150,000-$175,000 range now....(up from $50k, 5 yrs ago)

Probably gonna depend a lot on your job and family, These areas are quite different. (farming / dry vs. forest-'trendy'-tad rainy) metro & flat vs. hilly & rural. Both have a fair amount of hispanics for WA state, both are growing, more variety of folks / income ranges in Pascoe. Upper crust taking over WS.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:56 PM

331 posts, read 1,794,670 times
You do know the Pasco area is desert??? And although I think a nicer desert than in So Ca... Desert is still desert. Not really green there.

Affordable, people are nice. Seems a large hispanic community due to the farming in that area.

Lots of water form the 3 rivers that cross there. So lots of summer water sports.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 13,413 times
Exclamation Comments to all on this Thread

Hi
I have lived both in the Tri Cities and in White Salmon.
I only registered on this website to share important truths to all of your replies.
While WS is both beautiful and affordable(depending on what your job title is) The Tri Cities offers a more diverse (and quite possibly..more educated community.) not to mention more climate control.
WS kids have a tendancy to relocate to PDX or Hood River(where the action is..)meaning mostly drugs or whatevers..... leaving behind the values most parents have worked their 18 yrs to instill. While the Richland area is not my specific choice (HELLO...Hanford) certain precautions in place..whatever.. (my father worked there for 22 yrs) Pasco is far beyond any certain reality.may as well go to Mexico.

If I were to move back to the Washington area...I guess it would be Kennewick, Finley or maybe closer to Walla Wallla. Still a commutable distance pending on the $$.
I have been living in Hawaii these 12 plus years..(Tennessee and California also- nearly 6 yrs each.) but I try to keep in close contact with family and friends who have remained close(if not in) both locations.
Housing costs!! HAA HAA. Try 1.2 million for only 1100 sqft, 2 bdrms and 1 bath, and no yard..only 1 view.Neighbors close enough to smell your toilet duties, come over whenever they want..but never offer the "dreaded baby sitting duty.." You want meth labs? Hawaii is known to be the 1st and worst for any ICE epidemic ever experienced in the country.
Yes, OK the Ocean is gorgeous..and the scenic value is awesome..but here if you don't speak the language....get off da islan brah...nice to see ya..but doan goa stayin..bruddah..aye..ifayadoant.aaahweahgonna getcha.
Not so cool HUH? How about for a 5 year old or a 10 year old dealing with this? 49th out of 50 for education?? I think only Arkansas has the lower rating..

But for crymeneees sake folks... you on the mainland have the wild frontier... and less expensive fuel.. and .. and..and..
I truely believe the only place to raise a family is where they are free to roam and play without the threat of bodily harm or abduction.(my most sincere apologies and prayers to anyone who has ever had to endure this cruelty) as well as experience milking a cow, branding a bull, harvesting a crop... and I could go on and on...
I love the NW. and always will..so long as my home --sweet home -- on the range isn't too close to the continental divide.

Mahalo..to you all.
TINAMAC14

PS..anyone who knows me..will confirm and verify all the above.

Last edited by tinamac14; 01-23-2007 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: harshness and sincerity

Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM

41,581 posts, read 39,326,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanFan View Post
A BIG "Hello" to you wonderful & lucky Washington people! Count your blessing and be thankful that you live in the beautiful Northwest!!!!

My family and I are so homesick for Washington that there is no way to fully describe it! We are originally from the Vancouver area but are currently stuck in "Arkansuck" (Arkansas) for job training purposes! Let me tell you that there is NO comparison between Washington and Arkansas....NO COMPARISON ! Yes, land is cheap here....but what use is it when summer time is too hot and humid to go outside and enjoy it? Yes, winters are fairly mild....but talk about UGLY!....everything is brown and dead looking and the air makes your skin so dry that it cracks! Taxes here are crazy! Heck, it seems that they tax you for the use of air for breathing! The people here are SO different (to say the least) than people in Washington....we've been here nearly 2 years and we are still waiting to see even a small hint of "southern hospitality"!!!!

However-----some good news! There is a chance that we may get to "move back home to Washington" sometime soon and, if that happens, we may end up in either the White Salmon area or maybe Pasco....I know these areas are different than Vancouver....so, could someone please tell us....
WHAT IS THERE TO KNOW ABOUT THESE AREAS such as Crime-schools-land/home availability-weather-and so on????

Thanks so much
I don't blame you for being homesick for the state of Washington. I used to live in the state of Washington as a child and I love it. The summers when I compare them to Georgia, where I live now, were very benign. No putrid heat and it felt nice. I moved to South Carolina at the age of 6(yes I can remember back very far and I am 20 years old). I lived in Everett,WA and love it. I am strongly considering moving there(as well as other places). It is a bit expensive, but it is not California.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:24 AM

388 posts, read 1,570,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanFan View Post

Thanks so much
LOL

To each his/her own.

I gladly left the Puget Sound area to retire in Arkansas.

It's not ugly, it has a different kind of beauty.

It's not brown, it's spring; things are greening up quite nicely.

Brown was during the winter, after all, it's a four season state. It's not green year around like the wet side of the Cascades. There are more deciduous trees than conifers and the fall brings a riot of colors on a scale the PNW can't compete with.

The winters here bring cold nights and fairly temperate days. Little snow, but the occasional ice storm

The summers are hot and humid, more so in the Delta than the Ozarks, but some even like that. I much prefer the hot humid summers over the often gray overcast days of summer common in the PNW.

Your nick suggests a love of the ocean; can't blame you there, and there isn't one in AR.

I suspect you won't like the Tri-Cities area either, it's mostly brown all the time and can be awfully hot in the summer months.

Is it possible that the reason you might have not seen more examples of southern hospitality is you indicated to those you came in contact with that you really didn't like the place and compared AR unfavorably with WA?

The people here are proud of their state and all it has to offer and don't take kindly to put downs.

Actually, I rather hope people take your comments to heart and avoid Arkansas like the plague.

I'd like for it to remain uncrowded and as unspoiled as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington