Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:20 PM

90 posts, read 100,107 times

Advertisements

We bought a excellent 1920's Craftsman about 17 years ago. That was the first time we hit the real estate lottery. The elderly couple who owned the house gave us a bunch of furniture that was bought when the house was built. Dining room table, mirrors, end tables, dressers, and a desk. It was all beautiful stuff and it matched the house.

A few years after we bought the house we had the furniture appraised. I guess it's worth 15-20K predates the house and in perfect condition. That was 15 years ago.

We are moving out of state and ready for a modern house and look. This furniture doesn't match what we are going for and would prefer not to move it.

Do I try to sell with house or just sell locally to try to get max dollar amount? Hopefully someone has dealt with something similar due to all the craftsman in the area.

I'm not giving it away but would take a hit for it to stay with house.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:36 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
If it looks good in the house, I suggest you leave it while the house is being sold, as staging, and put a note on it that it is available for purchase with the house, price negotiable.

If you don't get a good enough over with it, then sell it after you sell the home.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If it looks good in the house, I suggest you leave it while the house is being sold, as staging, and put a note on it that it is available for purchase with the house, price negotiable.

If you don't get a good enough over with it, then sell it after you sell the home.
Exactly what I was going to say. Offer it as an option. If the eventual buyer doesn't want it, you can take it to an antique store, after closing.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. Offer it as an option. If the eventual buyer doesn't want it, you can take it to an antique store, after closing.
Or an auction house.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much for the response.

Have you dealt with this before and how did it work out?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 PM

I have been through at least a few homes where some of the furniture or equipment, like big tv's and surround sound systems that are mounted and difficult to move... was negotiable and noted. Often upper end homes.

It might work out where they want it, try also not to be offended if they have their own plan and their own furniture and don't want it. Someone else will!

You just never know.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I have been through at least a few homes where some of the furniture or equipment, like big tv's and surround sound systems that are mounted and difficult to move... was negotiable and noted. Often upper end homes.

It might work out where they want it, try also not to be offended if they have their own plan and their own furniture and don't want it. Someone else will!

You just never know.
It's funny you say that! We finished the basement a few years ago and added a theater room. We never use it and I don't want to take it down to sell it. It is definitely going with the house.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
You can write the contract / offer of sale with or w/o furnishings and Theater. (I feel they are a 'bonus' to leave intact for the marketing period)

Have a plan to complete the deal either way (quite EZ, even if 3,000 miles away... using 3rd party to come in and liquidate) Arrange before hand, and know what the prices will be. ...don't expect $20k for furnishings, tho if you have a couple appraisals available and it is PERFECT for buyer... you may get top dollar. Most buyers will have their own family heirlooms / personal furnishings, but out-of-state buyers will also consider the BENEFIT of not packing and shipping normal 'stuff', that they could sell before leaving..

A realtor is not gonna be impressed with ANYTHING that might add complications / 5 minutes to their tasks. Thus... in 34 properties I have only wasted my time and money ONCE with a 'RE 'Professional' (?). Consider what will best serve ALL in the transaction.

I buy a lot of 'estate' homes that seem to come with a lot of STUFF... (too much stuff)

Old 07-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Sounds like this house has everything!

Old 07-07-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacTown View Post
It's funny you say that! We finished the basement a few years ago and added a theater room. We never use it and I don't want to take it down to sell it. It is definitely going with the house.
The thing is, unlike your antiques that can hold and even increase in value...

Electronics are worth next to nothing as soon as they leave the store, so even expensive equipment might as well convey with the house, where it might have some appeal to a buyer, all set up and working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington