U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 PM

63 posts, read 262,346 times
Default Things to do with kids in WA

We are going to do a tour of WA on spring break. I would like to get some ideas of things to do in the various areas of Spokane, Tri Cities, Yakima & Seattle. Also we will be driving, so we could pass through some smaller cities like Sunnyside, Toppenish, Ellensburg Cle Elum, Sammamish, etc. if you know of fun things to do there.

Also, we would like to go to one of the volcanos. Do you just get to drive by or is there a specific visitors area? I noticed that there is a hotel called the Paradise Inn in Rainier National park, that might make a nice stop over.

Thanks in advance,

Karol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 AM

1,561 posts, read 4,046,414 times
I was sorry to read a few months ago that the US Forest Service planned to close the Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center at Mt. St. Helens for good this winter.

There are other centers, and its definitely an interesting and educational visit for kids and adults.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM

432 posts, read 1,241,285 times
Olmstead State Park in Ellensburg is nice- they have a historic homestead. I don't know if it's staffed all year round, but tour guides are on site during the summer.

The wild horse monument near Vantage on the Columbia is awesome- you can hike up to the wild horse sculptures on top of the hill. You might like Gingko Petrified Forest Park near Vantage with ancient petroglyphs and petrified trees, too.

(I assume you'd be travelling I-90 since you mentioned Spokane, Ellensburg and Seattle).

Check the status of the roads if you're heading up to Mt. Ranier- some were closed after last year's storms.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,489,263 times
The Paradise Inn is closed for remodeling. Paradise and Mount Rainier are worth a stop, but be prepared for snow there. Keep in mind that Hwy 410 is closed for the season, along with the road from Paradise to Ohanepecosh, so you won't be able to drive across the Park even if it looks like you can on a road map. The only visitor's centers open at Mount Rainier are at Longmire and Paradise. The roads usually open in early May.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM

5,555 posts, read 7,457,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klpeake View Post
We are going to do a tour of WA on spring break. I would like to get some ideas of things to do in the various areas of Spokane, Tri Cities, Yakima & Seattle. Also we will be driving, so we could pass through some smaller cities like Sunnyside, Toppenish, Ellensburg Cle Elum, Sammamish, etc. if you know of fun things to do there.
Here is a website with lots of great ideas: Seattle Attractions: Kid's Activities

There is also an awesome books with lots of ideas - many of which are even free - for things to do in the area with kids. My kids and I are working our way through the book. Here's the link on amazon.com:
Around Seattle with Kids

Quote:
Also, we would like to go to one of the volcanos. Do you just get to drive by or is there a specific visitors area? I noticed that there is a hotel called the Paradise Inn in Rainier National park, that might make a nice stop over.
The Paradise Inn is supposed to reopen in May of 2008 according to the website.

And this website (http://www.washingtonstatetours.com/volcano.asp - broken link) has info on visiting "Volcano Country" ... Even if you don't want to go on an official tour, you can check their itineraries to get some ideas. I would try to come back during the Summer or very early fall... with kids, it might be a bit tricky in the Spring unless you are used to snow and sometimes bizarre sort of weather and roads. Just be careful and be prepared for all kinds of weather and conditions.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 PM

63 posts, read 262,346 times
Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the info. I hadn't thought about the road or the parks being closed. We shifted our plan around and now we are going to fly into Seattle and travel south, hitting the new great wolf lodge in Grand Mound on the way down the portland to go to OMSI. Then we will take off out of Portland. I know that DH will get a real woody from going to the Boeing museum! :-D

Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 AM

1,561 posts, read 4,046,414 times
I hadn't even heard of the new Great Wolf Lodge until the mention here. I saw this subsequently in the paper:

Great Wolf Lodge opens today near Centralia with sprawling waterpark, 398 rooms | Seattle Times Newspaper

Sounds like a huge place! Hopefully Centralia is getting past that awful flood they experienced.

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the info. I hadn't thought about the road or the parks being closed. We shifted our plan around and now we are going to fly into Seattle and travel south, hitting the new great wolf lodge in Grand Mound on the way down the portland to go to OMSI. Then we will take off out of Portland. I know that DH will get a real woody from going to the Boeing museum! :-D

Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 29,496 times
Here's a link to recent article from Family Fun magazine, where a family took a 4 day trip around western Washington. There might be some new ideas there.

FamilyFun: One Family's Northwest Adventure - and More Family Fun

Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 AM

132 posts, read 310,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
I hadn't even heard of the new Great Wolf Lodge until the mention here. I saw this subsequently in the paper:

Great Wolf Lodge opens today near Centralia with sprawling waterpark, 398 rooms | Seattle Times Newspaper

Sounds like a huge place! Hopefully Centralia is getting past that awful flood they experienced.
The prices of rooms at the new lodge are REALLY HIGH.

There are tons of other places for kids. Check out Northwest Trek, The Olympic Game Farm, Point Defiance Park and Zoo, and Woodland Park Zoo.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,639 times
I found a link from RedTri.com with 50 family activities to do in Seattle. There's a lot of great things on the list. My kids especially love Theo's Chocolate Factory Tour and Northwest Trek.

[url]http://www.redtri.com/seattle/50-things-to-do-with-the-family-in-seattle-this-summer[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington