U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:40 PM

597 posts, read 1,787,904 times

Advertisements

Okay guys, in response to several people that I have read believing that WA state is a progressive, 'blue' state, I have a nice link I'd like you to read. It discusses the idea, which is not new, to make eastern WA the 51st state:

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/local/v-printer/story/6188592p-6063313c.html (broken link)

As an eastern WA native, this is not news to me, but I don't think it will ever come to pass. WA natives, please share your opinions of making eastern WA the 51st state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 AM

454 posts, read 639,093 times
Interesting concept, but the lack of a healty economic base throughout the central and eastern part of the state would leave this area economically depressed. I totally understand the desire to break away from a state government that seems to ignore the needs of the people whose real estate is twice the size of the west real estate.

In eastern King and Snohomish county they have been trying to create a new county (cedar or freedom) and after years of trying it has never gotten off the ground.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:24 AM

597 posts, read 1,787,904 times
Yes, breaking with Puget Sound would be a huge hit economically, but I imagine the agriculture would help with that, like in the area of biodiesel demand for 1 thing (if that continues as predicted). We still have the Pacific Northwest labs in Richland, along with lots of government jobs at Hanford as well. IMO Spokane, Tri-Cities, and Yakima would probably continue to prosper as they are now. I'm not promoting the idea, just my thought on the topic.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:56 AM

52 posts, read 314,165 times
Eastern WA breaking away is one I had not heard. There has been a movement for many years to make parts of southern Oregon and nothern California into the state of Jeffereson and there was a book many years ago called Ecotopia. I would think that eastern Oregon would be a good match to go with eastern Wa (I lived in eastern Oregon for about 15 years) but is there even a political mechanism for reorganizing state boundaries and forming new states (that does not include violence)?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 AM

295 posts, read 493,515 times
As you say, such political grandstanding is not new. North Idaho, eastern OR/WA, SW OR/N CA "State of Jefferson", and dozens of other state secession proposals have been floated throughout US history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sion_proposals

I think the reason these have rarely gotten serious is that the states (and the US) have bicameral legislatures. The state senates disproportionally represent the interests of rural counties, balancing the state houses which have proportional representation based on population, requiring compromise. (Contrast Canada's effectively unicameral Parliament, in which Quebec can never block any Ontario coalition, fostering deeper resentment.)

Also, the east/west WA divisions are not so clear cut as some would portray. Spokane and Walla Walla often vote with Seattle, e.g. against I-933, for Sen. Cantwell.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:11 PM

27 posts, read 164,239 times
This will never happen, in my opinion. Ever state in the country would try to split. Look at Michigan. Split Northern Michigan from Detroit. Split Eastern Tennessee from Memphis and Nashville. Split Northern Arizona from Tucson and Pheonix. Split Texas, East and West. Split upstate New York from New York City. SoCal from NorCal. Northern Minnesota from the populated SE (Twin Cities). One could go on and on. It will never happen.

Cowlitz County

Old 12-07-2006, 02:23 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,020,843 times
Sure, these types of movements have always existed and will continue, I'm sure, but will never come to pass.

I always found the proposal of making all of the area west of the Cascades in both Washington and Oregon one state and all of eastern Washington and Oregon another state. Obviously, it will never happen but interesting none-the-less.

--'rocco

Old 12-08-2006, 12:57 PM

424 posts, read 2,441,823 times
Default 51st State

Please let the next state be Northern California!!!!

Hey it worked in Carolina and Dakota

Old 12-08-2006, 10:28 PM

1,849 posts, read 6,140,157 times
Default State split

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Sure, these types of movements have always existed and will continue, I'm sure, but will never come to pass.

I always found the proposal of making all of the area west of the Cascades in both Washington and Oregon one state and all of eastern Washington and Oregon another state. Obviously, it will never happen but interesting none-the-less.

--'rocco
Now there is an idea. I could go for that. I have lived in eastern Oregon and it is a lot different than western Oregon. I have been to western Washongton and did not find it so different from west Oregon.

No it probably won't happen but it is an idea. Now as far as dividing California? I guess that would be up to the people who live there.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:04 PM

29 posts, read 156,102 times
Back in the 80's, Cali was looking to split into three states, remember? As a newcomer to Washington I was really surprised by the animosity between the 206ers and 509ers. As my allegiance naturally flows to the red state mentality, I would love to see a new state rid of Seattle's San Francisco way of life. But the Balkinization of our country is pointless, we just have to hope that the blue state types grow up, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or