Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,093 times

Advertisements

Being sick and tire of the hikes of rent in LA where I live, I am looking for a place with nice weather and a small-town feel. After a visit last winter, I am making the decision to move to Aberdeen -- I like the weather there, plus, that's one of a few places I can afford purchasing my own home, which I never dreamed of in LA.

As a part-time statistical consultant, working from home, I guess I don't care much about location of a place, even it is kind of isolated and depressed economically. I am Asian, so the concerns are like: is there any Asian restaurant in town? And are people there liberal enough to welcome Asians living in their community?

If I decide to buy a house there, which areas are nice and safe?

Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited by treblinka858; 08-09-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 PM

14,304 posts, read 11,772,793 times
There's places near Aberdeen where you are either close to, or right on the beach. If I were moving out there, that's where I'd look. Why not be right on the beach?

Old 08-09-2017, 06:21 PM

576 posts, read 2,251,303 times
You visited Aberdeen in the winter and liked the weather? Wow! Many people don't like the prolonged months of gray, rain and wind that the coast is known for.

Anyway, as you are searching for property in Aberdeen be aware that a lot of the lower elevation parts of town, particularly around the river (Chehalis), is flood plain. If I were going to live in Aberdeen, I would concentrate on the hilltop or hillside neighborhoods. The homes built in those parts of town are up out of the flood plain region and can offer nice views looking down on the river below or the harbor area.

Your realtor will be able to show you maps that delineate the flood plain areas of Aberdeen as you are looking at homes there.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:09 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,337,401 times
I would if I were in your shoes. I've lived near both areas and this one is better, I think. If overcast, drizzle, and gray skies are your thing, and you don't mind the somewhat depressed look of the town, you'll probably like living in Aberdeen. No smog, tiny traffic jams, and you've got the Olympics and the Pacific Ocean near by. Groceries are a bit cheaper there too.

Basically nobody here is racist (despite what the students at Evergreen College claim). We welcome Asians and any other race here. Some people may be fooled by something called the Seattle Freeze, which is just people being reserved and maybe shy too, but being from LA, you probably won't notice it. It seems to hit people from the South most where, going by what some people on this forum claim, people are always having conversations with strangers at the drop of a hat.

Aberdeen has a few Asian restaurants. I have no idea how good they are, but be aware, this area isn't known for it's great cuisine, but hey, we've got mountains, rain forest, ocean beaches, etc. You can't have everything, right?

Don't forget to check the flood maps before you buy. Aberdeen is in a flood plain and floods relatively frequently. Watch out for the houses near the cliff's edge too. Sometimes the cliffs collapse. Aberdeen is also in a tsunami zone, but so is any other city and town on the coast.

City-data has crime maps for every community, so check that out. Also, any good realtor can able to help you out there. When people talk about a bad part of town here it's not the same as a bad neighborhood in LA. You won't get the feeling of having to look over your shoulder anywhere in the Aberdeen area. A bad neighborhood in Aberdeen is where the neighbor parks his trucks in the yard and blasts his music, and sometimes things go missing.

If you do move here and find the gray weather hard to take, try installing bright lighting in your house, or maybe a Solatube.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
If you buy a house in Aberdeen... plan on STAYING (maybe forever)

Works for many folks. Not for all... Rain + fog + depressed economy and not near to services. Consider that in your offering price. I would think rents would be DIRT cheap, especially in nice places the owners want to keep nice!

Put your own real estate money to WORK for you... Buy a commercial place on I-5 and collect WA tax free income (from Tahiti if you so desire...)

Old 08-10-2017, 02:55 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,282,617 times
I grew up in Aberdeen, from age 5 to 13. Yes, Aberdeen/Hoquiam have depressed resource-extraction (trees, fish, clams, etc.) economies, but that means much cheaper housing. Grays Harbor has a good transit system and excellent P.U.D.-based fiber Internet. The "flats" are prone to flooding - carefully examine the floodmaps before buying.

For in-town, look on "the hillside" and Bel-Aire to the north, or if on the "flats" look for houses that are elevated. Lots of classic wood houses.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Out-of-town, look at Central Park to the east. Also look at areas of South Aberdeen and Cosmopolis that are out of the flood zone. Further east look at Montesano and Elma, which puts you much closer to Olympia. There are two beach areas where you can live: South Beach (Westport, Cohassett Beach, Grayland, Tokeland) and North Beach (Ocean Shores, Copalis Beach, Pacific Beach, Moclips). Further inland: Copalis Crossing, Humptulips.

Crime is mostly property and concentrated on the Aberdeen/Hoquiam "flats". Same with homeless and addicts.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:44 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,480,705 times
I don't live there, but I walked all over Aberdeen & Hoquaim & saw so many beautiful old houses! I guess I would take the advice of those who have lived there & stay up in the hills...and if I had kids, I would probably look into an alternative other than public school, but some of the houses were amazing! I liked Montesano, too.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:21 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,001,030 times
I have been looking at several small farms over that way ..teeny but I don't need 20 ac anymore .

Old 08-21-2017, 01:17 AM

489 posts, read 959,038 times
Traffic through Aberdeen and Hoquiam can be really bad on the weekends, especially holidays.
We haven't tried Asian food in Aberdeen. We're afraid to try it. Once you get far away from Seattle, it's mostly Americanized Asian food. Not worth it in my opinion.
I don't even think there's an Asian market in Aberdeen.

-Mike

Old 08-21-2017, 06:41 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Traffic through Aberdeen and Hoquiam can be really bad on the weekends, especially holidays.
We haven't tried Asian food in Aberdeen. We're afraid to try it. Once you get far away from Seattle, it's mostly Americanized Asian food. Not worth it in my opinion.
I don't even think there's an Asian market in Aberdeen.

-Mike
When I was a kid back in the 1950s, we used to go to a Chinese-American Restaurant in Aberdeen - I would order the turkey dinner (dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy) and my sister would order a cheese burger! Well, it is still there, just up the block from Billy's Bar & Grill, once the haunt of Billy Gohl, Aberdeen's semi-famous serial killer. I can't vouch for the Chinese food, because I NEVER ate it.

Apparently, according to recent reviews, the prices have gone up, and the quality of the food has gone way, way down. Apparently, the cook responsible for the golden grub is gone. One reviewer recommended the Viet Hoa, a Vietnamese-Chinese Restaurant, in Ocean Shores, instead. The Lucky Dragon Cafe is also in Ocean Shores.

The best Asian food in Aberdeen, based on a plethora of five star reviews, is the Mia-C Cafe, a Korean joint (Mia is the cook). And in the best Asian-American tradition, they've also got hot dogs, hamburgers, and cheese cake. No turkey dinners, however.

For good seafood, go to Breakwater Seafoods & Chowder, on the Wishkah River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington