Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,505 times

Advertisements

Family of 6 looking to move with a job offer to Everett, WA. I have a 15 (f), 13 (f), 11 (m) and 5 (f) yr old and 2 dogs. Want a nice, quiet, great, family oriented neighborhood for raising our family. Need great schools as well.

Help!

p.s. What's the weather like over there? From California over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 PM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
What is the budget? General rule of thumb live as close as you can to work, traffic is only get worse. Lots of nice areas in the general Everett area, Lake Stevens is beautiful, but hwy 2 can look like a parking lot twice a day.

As for weather, we're headed into the rainy and storm season, usually the windstorms are only bad in November, but last year they started in September and stretched into spring, make sure there are no trees threatening your new home. We already had a couple of gloomy days with low hanging clouds that can wear on people and the days are getting shorter.

Wow, I just painted a pretty terrible picture, there are pluses to the area.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Lvly, Mukilteo, Snohomish and Lake Stevens are all really nice, good schools, not too far from Everett.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Get a town with a GREAT community college or even a U

Once age 15...(If student can pass a simple college entrance exam (VERY ez...))
(Free FULLTIME college instead of burning daylight hanging around a Lame high School.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

Has worked very well for hundreds of thousands of WA HS students since 1990...

For a NICE / engaged / supportive community... Choose an AG centric town (not a FOREST / suburban centric town). Plenty of great choices in Skagit Valley

Farmers know where their success / sustenance comes from. ...
Loggers... Office workers... (federal / State workers...) not so much. Show-me-the-forest (Chainsaw does the rest...) or... "Gimme-my-paycheck & When-is-my-next-PAID-vacation?"

Weather?

it is the We_t Side PNW...
200+ days cloud / rain (drizzle) / yr.

Elevation MATTERS!!! I am high, so clouds must DUMP before moving east... thus I get 120" of drizzle / yr. 3x the amount of a nearby WET city.

It takes a LONG time to DRIZZLE 120" ... (28 - 31 days / month ...)

Leave your hobbies and habits (and cars) in CA (and KEEP your property / Prop 13 benefit) I had thousands of CA coworkers who transplanted to PNW... The wise ones are now retired BACK in CA enjoying Prop 13 low tax rates on their PAID OFF homes (High rents while they were working in PNW allowed their tenants to PAY OFF their CA home)

Old 09-21-2017, 07:16 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
North, south, or west of Everett. South: Mukilteo, Mill Creek, Edmonds. North: Lake Stevens, Granite Falls, Arlington, Stanwood. West: Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Lake Roesiger, Monroe.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 AM

638 posts, read 529,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvlylh View Post
Family of 6 looking to move with a job offer to Everett, WA. I have a 15 (f), 13 (f), 11 (m) and 5 (f) yr old and 2 dogs. Want a nice, quiet, great, family oriented neighborhood for raising our family. Need great schools as well.

Help!

p.s. What's the weather like over there? From California over here.
We love living on the Eastside. Woodinville / Bothell are really nice areas, beautiful, pleasant vibes, and good schools. It's a bit of a drive to Everett, so you can't bike commute, and the buses in that area can be slow, but do-able. Otherwise, why not some of the suburbs of Everett? Go to GreatSchools, pick a school and search near there.

It's a rainforest. Think of the clouds as your blanket and the rain as your source of life and you'll enjoy the long winter. Get used to loving cozy and never miss a sunny day being outside and you'll be fine. There's no poor weather up here, only poor preparation. (We stole that adage from Germany via Minnesota.)

Quote:
Farmers know where their success / sustenance comes from. ...
Loggers... Office workers... (federal / State workers...) not so much.
Well. I don't know about StealthRabbit, but here in Bellevue, Kirkland, Woodinville and Renton, kitchen gardens are all the rage and we aren't idiots so we do in fact have communities that know where food and support come from. A common activity for our family and families we know is to pick berries and make jam for the winter. Given that we're office workers, apparently it's nothing short of a miracle that we grow vegetables and get honey and some people even fish for a living as well. Others fish for fun and share.

Outdoor life is alive and well throughout the region and happily you can enjoy the fruits of plentiful water well outside Skagit valley and Spokane.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:59 PM

1,487 posts, read 781,364 times
Default Mvng here from Cali

What's the weather like? It rained 144 days between Oct 1 2016 and April 25 this year, which led to 45 inches of rain. Bring the sunshine with you when you come, or at least dry weather.
This is another El Nino year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington