Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times

Advertisements

There are two turn-offs off of Highway 150 that head north up the mountains in to ski areas. I'm still learning the names of things around here or I'd tell you their names right now. Hey, winter is Nintendo GameBoy (yes, I still play Roger Clemens MVP baseball on my GameBoy Advance) time and time for ping-pong, pool and movies galore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:43 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I see. But Chelan is scenic as hell! And there must be skiing around there...?
I once went cross country skiing at Chelan. Also, snow shoeing.

BTW, probably the best time to enjoy the lake is in September, just after the kids have gone back to school. The weather is still summer like, you can rent jet skis, but there are relatively few people about.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:53 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I once went cross country skiing at Chelan. Also, snow shoeing.

BTW, probably the best time to enjoy the lake is in September, just after the kids have gone back to school. The weather is still summer like, you can rent jet skis, but there are relatively few people about.
That sounds nice, September. I don't like jet skis, they're too noisy. They disrupt the beauty of a place, IMO. Sorry. Cross-country skiing sounds good, too; my preferred type of skiing. This is making me homesick for Chelan, Stehekin especially. You don't get the crowds up there, since there's not much lodging capacity, not a lot of development.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Excellent tip, Tim Randal Walker.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 AM

That sounds nice, September. I don't like jet skis, they're too noisy. They disrupt the beauty of a place, IMO. Sorry. Cross-country skiing sounds good, too; my preferred type of skiing. This is making me homesick for Chelan, Stehekin especially. You don't get the crowds up there, since there's not much lodging capacity, not a lot of development.

I can't drive up there, either. Only on that boat. That would be really fun ta take that boat-ride over to Stehekin.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

I can't drive up there, either. Only on that boat. That would be really fun ta take that boat-ride over to Stehekin.
What's fun is to take the boat in one direction, and fly the opposite direction, depart/return. You get a completely different view of the lake from the air. Both are beautiful. Flying in one direction saves you a lot of time, too.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:12 PM

I once took the boat to Stehekin from Chelan. Rented a bicycle and cycled to the waterfall. Again, this was a mild, sunny September day, after the kids went back to school. The tail end of the summer tourist season.

As I recall, the next day was cool and overcast. Changing into autumn. If you encounter that kind of weather, poking around the shops in downtown Chelan is good for an afternoon. I also went to the bowling alley once.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 10-04-2017 at 07:08 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Yes, I agree.

Lake Chelan in dead in the winter, but it's also not much fun doing "lake stuff", so it's basically the same as living in any other small Washington town at that time of the year.
Well, I did mention snow shoes and cross country skiing.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:10 PM

Again, during the tail end of the summer tourist season, a friend and I visited a winery at the outskirts of Chelan, near the lake.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:28 PM

This sounds like nostalgia, but I would like to explain some background.

I used to work in downtown Kirkland in a funky gift shop/fireplace shop. My boss owned a house at the outskirts of Chelan, way up on a hillside overlooking the lake. A very nice house, with a deck overlooking the lake (and the deck included a hot tub). My boss and his family would spend every weekend of June, July, and August there, turning the shop over the assistant manager. During the rest of the year he was willing to rent the house to other people; in fact, it was he who suggested that I stay at the house, and he would charge me only half (per day) what he charged other people. Splitting the cost with a friend, it was actually affordable to spend a long weekend there. And that was how I happened to visit Chelan during this sweet spot, the tail end of the summer tourist season.

I could have spent a week there during this sweet spot.

A winter visit, with snow on the ground, is worth a long weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington