Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:58 PM

162 posts, read 198,129 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone else.
To add to it: I live in the center of California, it easily gets over 100 routinely...and I hate it. I was born and raised in Seattle, lived there until 2002...and I'm going back. I fell in love with a guy in California and we have been happily married for over a decade but I am just not built for California weather so we are moving back home.
Having experienced both states I can say the rain and mist are not as cold as they sound, and you really do get used to it. It does get a little too grey in the winter with shorter days but the spring and summers make up for it. As for Cali weather, I really hate too much heat, it got old fast.
You'll adjust, and love it. I do recommend you travel there first, especially in the winter, just to be sure you can deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
There are two kinds of people in the world - ferns and lizards.

OP, if you like basking in the hot sun, you're a lizard.

The wet side of the Cascades is definitely fern territory, although SW Oregon can get pretty darn hot for several weeks in the summer.

There are people living on the wet side who make regular weekend trips to the east side to bask in the sun.

I don't think it's solely the rain that drives some folks crazy here, Seattle doesn't get any more rain than a lot of other US cities. But we do have very short days during the winter. People who work 8-5 will leave the house in the dark in the morning, and get home in the dark in the evening. This is really hard on some people.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:58 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,506,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Start searching google flights and book a visit for next month, December has shorter days, but they tend to be clearer and sunnier (which means colder because clouds trap heat at night). For anyone living in that area I assume that the west facing Olympic mountains mean an earlier sunset, so winter days are even shorter. Remember northern WA is actually north of big chunks of Canada, Maine and many parts of the US, if you want to move up here it's very long summer days and short deary winter days and coming from a sunny area that might hit you harder then you expect.

Lots of people move here and are fine the first couple of winters, but by the third or fourth they become very bitter, just read the Seattle forum with all the angry people that either moved away and still come back to complain or are stuck because of jobs, family, house, etc..

The OP is beautiful, but remember in the summer time you will get swamped with tourists, ferries will backup and driving around will mean big traffic delays not to mention a toll. Basically you can't hit the mainland without paying extra money to either the bridge or the ferries and you couple that with the fact that everything is always going to cost you just a bit more because of where you live, figure out what that will do to your blood pressure.

Come for a visit, look at prices of things, figure out if you can budget for yearly winter vacations to some places warmer and maybe even think about becoming snowbirds, plenty of them in the area. Snowbirds come north in the summer and go south in the winter, usually in RVs, sometimes they have a home in one place where they spend most of the year or some have homes in both and split their time as wanted.

All very accurate.

It’s not the rain, it’s the oppressive, dark gray sky & low, claustrophobic cloud cover in the winter that gets to you. By February, I’m having dreams about Yuma, AZ, &, no offense to Yumans, I really am not that crazy about Yuma.

Summer solstice - sunrise at 4 a.m., sunset at 10 p.m.

Winter solstice - sunrise at 8 a.m., sunset at 4 p.m.

The change to Standard Time is coming...I need to go find my Prozac, Vitamin D, happy light & 5 gallon box of cheap red wine...

Old 10-31-2017, 05:31 PM

17,203 posts, read 12,099,241 times
Coming from the midwest I don't even consider it cold here. I'm comfortable in a t-shirt down to freezing temps. Cold is -20. Only reason it looks any brighter back there was because of the snow pack. But sun was down before you got home from work there too. I'll take the constant drizzle you can still easily go out hiking under the trees in and not even end up wet over the heavy storms back there too.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
sometimes you just GOTTA GET AWAY... (been here 35+ yrs, will never get used to it...) - home was Prairie (Cold but sunny)

I find it cold in PNW We_tside, but I LOVE to go back home to Colorado in winter (Very sunny shirt sleeve weather!, tho crisp)

SWA has blessed us with $44 flights to DEN for this winter Nov - March! I've booked mine (sometimes weekly), but I also have a place in SA TX, so it gives me sun.

SAN I just book 6 trips @$92

Often the SUN is just at 5,000ft overhead, so you really just need a solar TUBE! (mile high)

I just come to PWN to pay my property taxes (yesterday... $8600 for 6 months) on a (worn-out) home I built for under $100k. I 're-buy' it in tax $ every 7 yrs.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 AM

17,203 posts, read 12,099,241 times
You've obviously missed out on this exceptionally sunny and dry fall this year then.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You've obviously missed out on this exceptionally sunny and dry fall this year then.
I love Fall (leaves / smells of woodstoves / leaves / apple cider), so I've been home long enough to cut and bring 7 cords of firewood out of my forest. of course also came home to vote (of no value to those of us in the 'other' 37 counties in WA with NO representation... but gotta do your civic duty (And not 'protes't our most certain losses) ))

Rain comes tomorrow (Thursday), I'm outta here on Friday. whoops, gotta also write the check for qtrly WA DOR so the employees can keep their expensive WA jobs and vote.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:12 AM

13,032 posts, read 7,430,344 times
In midValley Oregon, it's wetter, stormier, and hotter. We bought a place in the Seattle area.
Its gonna rain in Oregon today. Always a day before WA.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:04 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,092,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
For anyone living in that area I assume that the west facing Olympic mountains mean an earlier sunset, so winter days are even shorter.
That is actually not correct. The sun sets from the west, so it means extra few minutes of daylight. That is why Seattle has 9 more minutes of daylight right now than Kennewick for example which is further south and Forks has 8 more minutes than Seattle even though it's further north.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:51 PM

735 posts, read 868,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
That is actually not correct. The sun sets from the west, so it means extra few minutes of daylight. That is why Seattle has 9 more minutes of daylight right now than Kennewick for example which is further south and Forks has 8 more minutes than Seattle even though it's further north.
We're not talking about Forks, we're talking about people in the rain shadow of the Olympics, east facing cities with mountains to the west probably have shorten days. Ask West Seattle girl about living in Sudden Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington