U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:57 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,591,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear30 View Post
Hello all, I'm a single 28 year old African american woman looking to start fresh in Washington from SoCal. I'm trying to find the best town to start out in. I'm looking for a small town with cozy restaurants and shops, cute apartment complexes, and friendly people. I would be moving alone so safety is important. I also would be looking for work either in retail or an office(I am a office manager right now). Do these descriptions match either Spokane or town in Washington? Thanks in advance.
all of these things you are looking for don't really come to mind in small-town washington. Especially if you're single- there's not a lot of singles in small towns.

besides being from SoCal and wanting a change- what do you like? What are your hobbies? It's also going to be quite an adjustment weather-wise for you (i'm from NorCal myself) - the further north you go in washington state, the gloomier and colder it is in the winters (more rain and snow potentials).

Have you thought about portland, or? While they have their own bit of crazy- i think you'll find a better vibe there for being single and it's still cheaper than SoCal. Other than that, i would say Hood River, OR Bend OR, which is a college town, Eugene OR or even Northern CA to be honest- the weather is certainly better.

the nice thing for you will be that looking for a retail type job will mean you can go just about anywhere.

Outside of WA/OR some other places you may like:
Brentwood or Clayton MO (small town, but lots of restaurants/shopping)
Tuscan AZ
Greenville SC (not small, but lots of activities)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 02:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 6,217,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
...she mentioned that she is interested in living in a small town in the state of Washington. Tacoma is by no means a small town. However, like many good-sized cities, it has smaller neighborhoods that may very well be the OP's cup of tea. It's up to her to go online and start researching.
She said "I'm looking for a small town with cozy restaurants and shops, cute apartment complexes, and friendly people." She might find that in California, but the closest in Washington would be smaller cities like Bellingham or Olympia. Apart from that, she might be better off looking in larger cities (none of which are L.A.) with neighborhoods that fit that description.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,383 posts, read 45,562,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear30 View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm checking out Seattle in January and working my way from there!
while near Seattle...
check into Poulsbo, Silverdale, Port Orchard, Vashon Island, and Gig Harbor, Do a clockwise loop from SEA-Tac, and take advantage of Ferry inbound to Seattle price breaks.

" All passenger fares and round-trip vehicle fares are paid westbound only unless indicated"
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/CurrentFares.pdf

Make your route inbound to Seattle to depart west sound terminals 1/2hr before dusk, then you can enjoy some daylight while leaving and approaching Seattle when the lights come on...(I like the Bremerton / Seattle route as it is a little longer ride and good schedule).

Don't miss Vancouver, Camas, and Portland while you are so near. (Bolt bus is CHEAP way to get between cities, train is also fairly cheap and ez)

Old 11-18-2017, 06:08 AM

7,620 posts, read 7,250,911 times
Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm checking out Seattle in January and working my way from there!

The OP is going to check out Seattle in January and is gone from this thread so we're all just kind of knocking our heads together trying to come up with bigger and better ideas, lol. She's fine for now!

Old 11-20-2017, 05:17 PM

16 posts, read 22,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

The OP is going to check out Seattle in January and is gone from this thread so we're all just kind of knocking our heads together trying to come up with bigger and better ideas, lol. She's fine for now!

I'm still here haha Im reading everything

Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,752,092 times
I live in Seattle, grew up in Gig Harbor and spend a few years in Tacoma and B'ham.

I recommend staying away from the I-5 corridor Olympia to Everett, a lot of crowds and traffic and not getting better anytime soon.

As for Idaho I think Boise is an option, I was surprised at the very active downtown area and it was much greener that I was expecting. Also, it's politics are much more liberal than the rest of the state.

If I could find a (well paying) job there my 1st choice would be Vashon Island, it's limitation is access only by ferry. What a cool little world it is.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:27 PM

489 posts, read 838,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I live in Seattle, grew up in Gig Harbor and spend a few years in Tacoma and B'ham.

I recommend staying away from the I-5 corridor Olympia to Everett, a lot of crowds and traffic and not getting better anytime soon.

As for Idaho I think Boise is an option, I was surprised at the very active downtown area and it was much greener that I was expecting. Also, it's politics are much more liberal than the rest of the state.

If I could find a (well paying) job there my 1st choice would be Vashon Island, it's limitation is access only by ferry. What a cool little world it is.
Agree on Boise. We've driven through a few times, stayed in hotels there, and we always comment how nice it is.
It would be on our radar if we were looking.

-Mike

Old 12-03-2017, 11:08 AM

1,487 posts, read 555,258 times
Dear mbear30,
Find the job first honey, everything else will fall into place around the job.
You're coming to the hottest destination north of Cabo You don't want to be way out of the hub, do you?
Bellingham is way up north, about 45 minutes from British Columbia. After Bllnghm is Blaine, Great Bear Lake, I think, then BC. Don't everybody jump all over me if I got that wrong.
Poulsbo is the Olympic Penninsula, accessible by ferry, for around $30.00 round trip, 1 car 1 person, or you can drive to Seattle,about 4 & 1/2 hrs.
Find the job first on the eastside, or up north in Edmonds or a smaller section of Lynnwood. You have to know we are losing our small towns. They will only be in Eastern Wa. soon.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 PM

7,488 posts, read 6,217,091 times
Forget the "towns" and stick to Seattle or Tacoma's Northend. Both are safe, walkable, and have scenic vistas, great parks, water access, good public transit, and access to abundant nature within 45 -60 minutes. Also lots of apartments, jobs, entertainment, dining, culture, dating/social scene.

Tacoma's Northend:

https://www.zillow.com/b/broadmoor-tacoma-wa-5XjTYc/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/b/century-apa...oma-wa-65bk5f/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington