Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 PM

58 posts, read 133,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Cars are much better than when the fees were based on Value of vehicle.

Mine don't kill me, but they are higher than before for my cars. (previously $15.00)

Sales tax on $35.00 purchase price (buy from towing company)
$42 once / lifetime 'Collector Vehicle' tabs (rules apply)

No emission test

I save on fuel costs (No dino fuel since 1976)

50 mpg on free Waste veggie oil.
StealthRabbit, for several years I have been trying to figure out if you're on the level or full of wabbit pellets. This post finally provides the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 10:38 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,492,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew8888 View Post
StealthRabbit, for several years I have been trying to figure out if you're on the level or full of wabbit pellets. This post finally provides the answer.

Word.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,612 posts, read 57,608,601 times
Quote:
Cars are much better than when the fees were based on Value of vehicle.

Mine don't kill me, but they are higher than before for my cars. (previously $15.00)

Sales tax on $35.00 purchase price (buy from towing company)
$42 once / lifetime 'Collector Vehicle' tabs (rules apply)

No emission test

I save on fuel costs (No dino fuel since 1976)

50 mpg on free Waste veggie oil.
YMMV
600 cars / week sell at local towing auctions (minimum bid is $35) 80% of the ones I buy are running within 2 hours (most were parked illegally, so run fine).

Been doing Bio Fuels since 1976 (When we also built full Electric cars and installed 'plug-in-parking' at all USA manufacturing sites) I am rural / farm based so no practical use for EV's myself. My Tractors / dozers / semi trucks like Bio-D just fine.

A lot of our WA State Bio-D activity is Seattle based and supported (as it has been for over 20 yrs)
https://drdansbiodiesel.com/biodiesel-faqs/
Washington Biodiesel & Alternative Fuel Locations

Fortunately I have other USA locations where feedstock is far easier to get than the PNW. Hopefully we will be 'growing-our-own-feedstocks' (algae) by the time the next fuel crisis hits.

There have been successful Trans-pacific and Transatlantic commercial air flights using Algae fuel. so... when the current fuel bargains disappear... there will be more rational choices for Bio-fuels (diesel equivalents). I don't do GAS bio-fuels, as that stuff is very bad / dangerous / inefficient (gasoline).

Good luck with your future

Mine is FINE (as long as I never need HC !) The new USA norm... get sick? Die!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 AM

32,908 posts, read 12,191,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
We're full. It rains. Daylight in the winter is only twenty minutes. Traffic is terrible. We charge massive sin taxes. Car fees are a billion dollars. We're full.
LOL.

I saw the thread title and decided I had to click on it to see how many posts in would be a post from you essentially promoting the opposite of the OP.....literally the second post in/first reply to the OP.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 AM

29,887 posts, read 18,733,701 times
Quote:
U R dreaming (reading more into it than is here...)

Has it's benefits (during income yrs)

AFTER income yrs (retirement) my coworkers returned to their Prop 13 CA LOW property taxes and DUMPED their WA properties with HIGH taxes. (mine in WA are $43 / day, up from $3/day). My Business taxes and personal Property SAME... through the roof.

WA is very great for 'Employees' and renters during their HIGH earning yrs. Even better if you live and work in WA and can go BUY 'stuff' in sales tax free OR (5 minutes away). Should you desire to do that... WA will be happy to have you pay your Use Tax, but if U R not a business... you are unlikely to get caught (yet).
It's always been a huge benefit for people making say over $200K/yr and now the benefit is even larger. I work internationally as a Consultant and wouldn't consider living in a state with a state income tax while working overseas.

As Stealth mentions, the benefit is no longer substantial and the detriments add up after one retires which I plan on doing in the coming months. We plan to winter in Arizona and live the rest of the year in the Evergreen state.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:11 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,726,380 times
I thought Utah was bad about nailing retirees to the wall with taxes to support their broods of brats they crank out here like popcorn at the movies. I wanted badly to move to northwestern Washington. Did tons of research and came close. Till the final tally's came in of the taxes I'd get nailed with. I don't want a state that touches my SS check let alone taxing the property tons. Sadly I went elsewhere just to get out of Utah to begin with. Enjoy your high incomes there folks while you have them.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:12 AM

6,119 posts, read 3,336,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
While we don't have an income tax, we do have high sales taxes and gross property taxes (due to higher property values), as well as a very regressive B&O (Business & Occupation) tax on revenues (not income) that hits small businesses and sole proprietors hard.

They did not eliminate the SALT (State and Local Tax) deductions, but capped the deduction at $10,000. The mortgage-interest deduction was limited to mortgages up to $750,000, down from $1 million. For a house assessed at $750,000, property taxes are $7,687 (King County) or $8,123 (Washington state), well below the $10,000 cap.
Interesting....my home, which would be considered above average in Clallam county, the property tax is around $2300. I pay more in fire protection than I do schools by about $100 per year.
In the past the state sales tax deduction maximum standard deduction was limited far below $10K and I feel the vast majority of tax payers won't be effected one way or the other, over past years.
Our sales tax (Clallam county is 8.7%) is high as compared to the national average which is just below 6%. For example New York average sale tax is slightly below 8% as is California...but having said that take in consideration that both NY and California have a very high state income tax with California lead the way with up to 13.3% state income tax....remember that is on top of their sale tax.
Also remember Seattle has/is considering a city personal income tax.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,612 posts, read 57,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's always been a huge benefit for people making say over $200K/yr and now the benefit is even larger. I work internationally as a Consultant and wouldn't consider living in a state with a state income tax while working overseas.

As Stealth mentions, the benefit is no longer substantial and the detriments add up after one retires which I plan on doing in the coming months. We plan to winter in Arizona and live the rest of the year in the Evergreen state.
If income taxes is concern of OP.... consider a SD domicile, many RVrs and USA residents working overseas use SD. One overnight stay per lifetime is all that is required (and don’t trigger domicile elsewhere by. Staying too long)

While in SD... cross the border to MT and create your MT LLC to own and register your expensive cars, boats, Motorhomes. (No sales tax, no emissions, no inspections). There is a big industry to help you with MT DMV.

As an early retiree, I keep my domicile and my investments in income tax free states. I have multiple living spaces in each location (farms), so keep the main home rented and I stay (for free) in the spare cabin. I keep a <$100 car (and cheap motorcycle) at each home and fly back and forth. (Deductible travel and 50% of food).

This works for the time being.. if I live to age 70, I will consolidate a bit. I am a Colorado ranch kid... so the PNW doesn’t fit very well. (I escape for sun frequently)

The income tax free status of WA helped me achieve a pre-age 50 retirement. There are other options, but only AK has higher wages (of the income tax free states).

Self employed / mobile friends prefer a beach on a US Protectorate (favorable taxes).

Old 01-02-2018, 11:21 AM

6,119 posts, read 3,336,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I thought Utah was bad about nailing retirees to the wall with taxes to support their broods of brats they crank out here like popcorn at the movies. I wanted badly to move to northwestern Washington. Did tons of research and came close. Till the final tally's came in of the taxes I'd get nailed with. I don't want a state that touches my SS check let alone taxing the property tons. Sadly I went elsewhere just to get out of Utah to begin with. Enjoy your high incomes there folks while you have them.
Actually the majority of high income jobs in Washington are located in the Seattle area which causes a higher standard of living. Like Microsoft employees for example. The Seattle area has the highest number of millionaires in the US.
Now for some facts...Eastern Washington and the Olympic Peninsula are probably similar to Utah in wages and cost of living. Property taxes are lower in both areas compared to the I-5 corridor by a very large percentage.
Not quite understanding your concern about your SS being taxed by the state. We don't have a personal income tax in the state.
Keep you searches away from the Seattle area and you will do fine.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:40 PM

638 posts, read 526,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I am not sure how you did your "research" but if Washington State taxes freak you out I am not sure what anyone can do for you.

And I do enjoy a high income and great schools and parks and roads and libraries and maintained trails and EMTs and so on, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington