Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 2,267 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
My husband and I recently visited Washington and Oregon and we absolutely fell in love with Washington and are considering moving from Southern California. The husband has a bachelor's degree in audio engineering and is a electronic technician at a civilian contracting company fixing electronic equipment. He would love to get back into the music industry but we are unsure of what job opportunities may be available or where to look. His expertise is in mixing the sound for live shows and in music recording and production. He's fine with working in electronics if there are no music jobs available but we are concerned about finding employment in general. I'm wondering which areas of Washington would be best to look. I'm currently finishing my masters in social work and will have an LCSW license before we intend to move. Anyone know what it takes to transfer my license and how much I can expect to make?

Currently we pay $1800 for a 2 bed/2 bath 900 sqft condo we would like to stay within that range. What we like about Washington is the hiking, puget sound, the trees, the music culture. We love Seattle and Tacoma but are not set on living there. Ideally we would like to live in a suburb close to a city. We just want to settle down somewhere to start a family and career with less traffic and more fresh air. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Traffic around Seattle and Tacoma is a real consideration, FWIW... no one moves to the suburbs around either one to get away from bad traffic, unless perhaps they're from LA.

When you visited the area recently, where did you visit? What kinds of places would you like to work? And did you notice the traffic and density and air quality and weather when you were here?

Old 01-09-2018, 12:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Advice.... look into working at Resil (WA vets home) It is Great..., located. Next to Port Orchard / Bremerton. Close enough to Seattle and Tacoma if you need. Far enough away to be pleasant and affordable...

Harrison Hospital is also great for care or jobs. (Bremerton)

College nearby, good home school network, plenty of military!
Can easily vacation in Olympic National Park, Canada, coast,

Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 PM

We visited Seattle, Tacoma, and went hiking around the area. I currently intern at a non-profit company providing individual therapy to children. I'd love to continue working with kids and my degree is very versatile I can do anything from medical SW to child protection to private practice. I'm not set on anything specific. Traffic was hardly to guage since we went during the summer and only spent time at tourist areas. It didn't seem that bad but I wasn't there long enough to have a sense of how it might be to live there. As far as the air quality, of course I noticed that! It's fantastic. The weather will likely be a drag but I'm hoping we will adapt and learn to appreciate all 4 seasons rather than just the one we get her. Lol I've always loved the rain though.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Thank you so much! I will look into it.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:21 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Plenty of 2bd/2ba apartments within your budget - the question is whether you can get the income to qualify. Urban areas are often better than suburbs around here, so don't shy away from the Northend of Tacoma, for instance.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
There is no LCSW reciprocity in Washington. You have to start over.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
There is no LCSW reciprocity in Washington. You have to start over.
https://www.socialworkguide.org/licensure/washington/

Quote:
The Washington Health Department does not offer any formal reciprocity with any other states, but the Department has an associate license that social workers who have been licensed in other states may apply for. Social workers can apply for licensure as an associate-advanced social worker or an associate-independent clinical social worker. To apply, candidates must have a master’s or doctorate in social work from a CSWE-accredited school and possess a valid social worker license (or clinical social worker license) from another state. Furthermore, associate social worker applicants must take four hours of HIV/AIDS training as all other licensed social workers in the state. The application fee for associate social workers (advanced and independent clinical) was $50 as of October 2015.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:33 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Not the same.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 PM

638 posts, read 529,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Not the same.
OP is an intern, however, and has time to build up her career.

Quote:
Traffic was hardly to guage since we went during the summer and only spent time at tourist areas. It didn't seem that bad but I wasn't there long enough to have a sense of how it might be to live there.
If you didn't mind the traffic in touristy areas in the summer you will probably be okay. YOu're from SoCal, the traffic there isn't a picnic either. It's still west coast, under-transported, still growing.

Seattle's growing quickly. Tacoma is up and coming and now's a great time to get in. I love Tacoma, actually, and Portland. South Seattle and Renton have some great areas to consider for a young family as well.

Honestly, as someone who lived for a short period in SoCal and hated it, and whose parents left that area decades ago, I am so glad I live here now, and as long as you can come, I think you should. It's not California. There's no LA equivalent. THere's no SF equivalent. It is what it is and you'll have to accept the rain for what it is, a beautiful fountain that keeps us green, but if you can do that, you'll be fine.

Oh, and the gray... here's the thing. Summer days are lonnnng. You can grill at 9:30 and be outside eating until 11.

Winter days are hard. I bike home and have to leave by 4 at the latest.

But I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington