Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 AM

571 posts, read 714,774 times

Advertisements

In a few months I'm being transferred from San Diego to an office at Lewis-McChord. I'm trying to prepare myself for the shock of the change in weather. But other than that, I'm concerned about where I'll be living. I'm single, so I don't want to live in some lonely suburban environment where it's harder to interact with people. I want to be in a walkable neighborhood. I've heard so many negative things about Tacoma, so I'm worried about living there even though that's where my job will be. So that's led me to consider an area between Tacoma and Seattle. Again, I want to be in a walkable neighborhood. At the same time, I don't want to be wasting good time every day with a horrible commute. Breaking it down, I want: 1) an easy commute to the job in Tacoma; 2) a walkable, fun neighborhood; 3) a safe area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Seattleites like to rank on Tacoma, but it is mostly just fine, and much less expensive than the Seattle area. Avoid Lakewood, Parkland, and South Tacoma. For safe, walkable, and fun neighborhoods, look at Tacoma's Northend: Downtown, Theater District, Stadium District, Old Town, Proctor, Wedge District, 6th Ave, North Slope, Ruston. Up and coming: Hilltop. Less expensive, but still nice: Mid-Tacoma (near the Tacoma Mall).

https://www.windermerepc.com/neighborhoods/tacoma

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 01-10-2018 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Seattleites like to rank on Tacoma, but it is mostly just fine, and much less expensive than the Seattle area. Avoid Lakewood, Parkland, and South Tacoma. For safe, walkable, and fun neighborhoods, look at Tacoma's Northend: Downtown, Theater District, Stadium District, Old Town, Proctor, Wedge District, 6th Ave, North Slope, Ruston. Up and coming: Hilltop. Less expensive, but still nice: Mid-Tacoma (near the Tacoma Mall).

Thank you so much for the information and the link.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 PM

545 posts, read 411,243 times
Another vote here for the North End of Tacoma. You don't want to be any further north though; the traffic is real bad and getting worse every day.

Also, University Place is much closer to JBLM. It's a suburb, but it is become more dense and walkable in some parts. It's not as fun or interesting as Tacoma, but your commute will be less of a headache.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
Another vote here for the North End of Tacoma. You don't want to be any further north though; the traffic is real bad and getting worse every day.

Also, University Place is much closer to JBLM. It's a suburb, but it is become more dense and walkable in some parts. It's not as fun or interesting as Tacoma, but your commute will be less of a headache.
I've been looking at SigAlert to see what the traffic is like. My job will be just south of Tacoma. It seems that if I were to live north of Tacoma in the direction of Seattle I would be going against traffic to and from work. At least that's what I've observed on SigAlert: in the mornings, heavy northbound traffic, but light southbound traffic. And the reverse in the afternoon. Is this not the case?

I've heard a bit about the North End. Thanks for the suggestion of University Place. I will take a look at that.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,404,518 times
California...

Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 AM

638 posts, read 529,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

Agree.

Tacoma is nice. I wouldn't dream of commuting from Seattle to JBLM. I have several friends who bought homes in Tacoma, where it's less expensive, and commute to work in Renton and Factoria. They love it.

Quote:
It seems that if I were to live north of Tacoma in the direction of Seattle I would be going against traffic to and from work.
Generally, yes, though traffic to the base is always bad.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
I would live on the hill near Steilacoom/Chambers Creek. Great view of the water. It's got a small 'quaint' feel to it and is close enough to the busier parts of the city. It is a bit spendy but a great alternative to North Tacoma or U Place.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post

Nice for a couple or young family, but much less for a single wanting easier access to a dating/social scene. Same for Steilacoom or the nicer parts of Lakewood. Mid-Tacoma could be a good compromise - closer to JBLM, but still within easy reach of Tacoma's "livelier" areas.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM

489 posts, read 963,552 times
What do you plan to do in your walkable neighborhood?
You can walk around in any neighborhood, but your expectations of what you'll see, hear, and do make a difference.
Are you hoping to walk to the grocery store or a restaurant, maybe a shopping mall? Walk to a park and relax? Walk to a bar or nightclub?

Good idea to stay north. Northbound I-5 coming south of JBLM is a huge mess during normal commute times, and the alternatives aren't all that great.

-Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington