U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 AM

6,150 posts, read 3,307,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebear View Post
We are a husband and wife, and our mutual friend. We've lived most our lives in central illinois and we haaaate it. Because we are hated. And we have no families or friends (besides each other). And so we want to just drop all our **** and up and move to a place we feel we actually belong better.
We're not very political but we're very anti trump. (Everyone here loves him)
My husband is actually trans and wants to transition with hormones but not get death threats while walking to work every day.
We're kinda all the long haired goth hippie freak type to different degrees. Not hipsters. Not aesthetic irony. Just quiet. We're loners and losers and nobodies. Not good with crowds. We would love to live in a 2br shack in the middle of nowhere. But that's close to jobs.
We have nothing but the clothes on our backs and a pocket of cash. No cars. No furniture. We're nearly homeless. I recently lost my job and we'll have to move somewhere soon. Why not somewhere that sucks less.
But we only got about $3500

And getting a place requires proof of a job and getting a job requires proof of a place.
And idk how to get a job in a place that's 3000 miles away.
We're all highschool graduates and poor af. We couldn't afford college and all had to work during highschool to support our fams then moved out as soon as we were 18. (It's eerie how much our lives are the same that's why we're all really close friends)
I've been a cashier at a gas station for 5 years and i worked at a pizza place for 5 years and that's about it. But I'm also a tryhard artist and wanabe musician.
My husband has been a manager at a dollar store for a few years and a butcher and a sandwhich maker and even did roofing and construction for a few years and he sculpts and designs his own clothes and even knows how to taxidermy so he has all that knowledge to work with. But no official licenseses or formal training tho. He studied under his grandpa who owned a taxidermy shop in ohio when he was in highschool. But he's open to it.
And our friend has all the same skills as both of us combined plus he's good with plants and animals. They both want to be like park rangers and I'd be happy with anything that doesnt kill my feet like standing in one spot at a gas station for 10hrs a day did. I just want to work and sit at the same time. And i can type almost 80wpm.
They also both have long hair and would refuse/prefer not to cut it for a job unless it paid insanely good. And they're willing to do anything for jobs. ~Men arent supposed to have long hair in illinois. Apparently.

And anyway we have nothing and dont even know where to look or who to talk to. I hope someone here can help us. We are super friendly and down to earth. Chill. Hard workers. Responsible.

When i had a fulltime job our combined monthly income was about 2300 and our combined expenses was about 1800 and we just need something in the ballpark of that ratio to be happy.
But all the money and col is different. Idek what groceries and gas cost over there. So it's hard to math out.

We're hardcore and willing to crawl thru mud to get to where we want. Even if we have to live in a homeless shelter til we get jobs and a house.
But what town and state. Washington or Oregon.
They are willing to “do anything for jobs” except cut their hair? Willing to crawl through mud to get where you want?

These claims cancel each other out.

You would burn up your joint savings of $3500 in no time, no matter where you move. If you are hard workers, start by “mathing out” what COL is elsewhere vs likely income there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,193,482 times
It doesn't matter who you are.

It doesn't matter what you are.

Your survival depends on who and what you appear to be.

Flexibility and camouflage are the two most valuable survival skills.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 PM

7,025 posts, read 5,437,686 times
If you want to do it, here's one way it might work:

1. Sell everything you can - get that stake up to $5,000, if you can.

2. Don't drive out, fly out (lots of cheap flights Chicago to Seattle) with only what you can carry. (Give proper notice, and leave your apartment ****-n-span and in good repair (nail holes spackled and painted over with matching paint). Steam clean the carpets. You need the rental reference.

3. You need to go to the cheapest place to live where you won't need a car: Aberdeen-Hoquiam. Greyhound, Trailways, etc., don't go there. Go to Olympia and catch Grays Harbor Transit Bus #40 to Aberdeen. (Google for the schedule, stops, etc.)

4. Dicker for a low monthly rate for a two-bed room at a cheap motel. (It's winter, they've got vacancies.) If it has a kitchenette, all the better.

5. Find out where the free feeds and food bank are. Go to them. Make connections. (Get a mailing address.) Apply for food stamps.

6. Learn the bus system - it can take you anywhere, including to all the ocean beaches.

7. At least one of you needs to find a job, or two need to find part-time work. One job can support all three of you. Once one of you has a job, find a better place to live.

8. If one or two can't find jobs, figure out other ways to earn income: beachcombing and foraging, for instance. Get a rock mill and find rocks that will polish up beautifully: agates, etc. (Get a book on beach rocks to identify them.) Sell them to tourists at the farmer's market in the summer.

9. Find out what there is to do - Harborena Roller Skating Rink, Rainier Lanes, etc. Learn how to dig razor clams, when the digs are open. Get a reel and rod and fish off the jetty at Westport.

10. Research everything you need to know about your new home before you leave. Yes, there are lots of homeless and meth-heads there - every great CHEAP place has them! They ended up there as a last resort. You're going there first-off!

No guarantees. I've never done it myself, but I did grow up there. You'll need courage, persistence, and effort, but not miracles.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 01-21-2018 at 10:31 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 01:25 PM

1,941 posts, read 2,939,601 times
Hating Trump, transgender, long hair -- all of that stuff is no big deal here, you fit in just about anywhere in western WA.

No degree, almost homeless, no car -- that makes it difficult b/c you need a place with public transportation and low rent. I would look at splitting a 1-bedroom cheap apartment in Burien or Tukwila, WA. Great access to Seattle, has public transportation, and there are cheap places if you look and are not picky. All of you can secure service jobs in fast food quickly (look at indeed.com, or cold call places), then save money and go to community college. Then the world is your collective oyster. Sounds like you are all hardworking and can achieve something if you have a plan and stick with it.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:20 PM

80,999 posts, read 74,119,183 times
Someplace outside of Olympia could work for you. It's cheaper outside of town. Olympia has lots of office jobs for your typing skills, and an alternative-school type of University, where no one would bat an eye about whatever. There are cashier jobs, too, of course. For your friend, there are city parks jobs, state parks jobs, if the friend has experience in that area. Otherwise, plants, hmmm.... landscaping companies?

Oh...no degrees? You won't be able to get office jobs. Or maybe you would, for entry level. That could work.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
No degree, almost homeless, no car -- that makes it difficult b/c you need a place with public transportation and low rent. I would look at splitting a 1-bedroom cheap apartment in Burien or Tukwila, WA.
Are there cheap apartments in Burien or Tukwila any more? I don't think so. The only really cheap place with good public transportation I can think of is Aberdeen/Hoquiam. Centralia/Chehalis and Longview/Kelso are cheap, but I don't know about the public transportation. I'd take Aberdeen/Hoquiam based on easy access to the beaches alone.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:04 PM

3,249 posts, read 4,310,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Are there cheap apartments in Burien or Tukwila any more? I don't think so. The only really cheap place with good public transportation I can think of is Aberdeen/Hoquiam. Centralia/Chehalis and Longview/Kelso are cheap, but I don't know about the public transportation. I'd take Aberdeen/Hoquiam based on easy access to the beaches alone.
Not a lot of great jobs in Longview. But people these days are starting to buy up houses in Longview and then commuting to the Portland area. Or at least to Vancouver. It's only a 30 minute drive from Longview into the Salmon Creek area of north Vancouver where there is a major hospital and the campus of WSU-Vancouver.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:23 PM

1,941 posts, read 2,939,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I did a search. There are several for around $1000/mo.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I did a search. There are several for around $1000/mo.
I don't consider $1,000/mo to be cheap. This is cheap:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/b/heather-mea...een-wa-5Xt4R8/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Old 01-27-2018, 11:59 PM

13,414 posts, read 25,117,315 times
I recently saw a studio online going for $750. Looked like a hole, but it would work for somebody with low standards. It might have been in Des Moines, but I really don't remember for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington