U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 08:36 PM

22 posts, read 75,450 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been living in Colorado for 35 years. Wife is from Anacortes, I am from Belfair. We have been thinking about Northport, Wash., north of Spokane. The Belfair I remember as a boy is gone, so has Anacortes and Northport seems to be the right size for us. Any information would be appreciated.

Lyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,306 times
Default Northport

I lived in Colville about 15 years ago and traveled to Northport once a year in the fall for the Canadian thanksgiving celebration and barter fair. Its what I would've called a small community of folks striving to go back to a simpler way of life. People exhibited their gardening successes, hobbies, artwork, etc. at the barter fair. A lot more local flavor than some that import a lot of cheap junk to sell. It takes a long time to fit into some of these small communities. Buying a place definitely helps, renters are suspect. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:28 AM

6 posts, read 25,291 times
The people around the Northport area, refer to it as the welfare town, as most of the residence are on welfare. There is alot of drugs and drug related problems there. The town is very small, and most of the housing would be considered low income type of housing. They citizens hate law enforcement, and can not keep a town marshall. You would be better off looking else where.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:49 AM

22 posts, read 75,450 times
Thanks, Wolfman.
We've been watching the weather in northport and I think my wife and I are going to re-acclimate to Western Washington easier than up there. Also noted there isn't much of a selection of houses for sale. Maybe Northport is a bit too small.
Landru

Old 02-10-2007, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGWOLFMAN View Post
The people around the Northport area, refer to it as the welfare town, as most of the residence are on welfare. There is alot of drugs and drug related problems there. The town is very small, and most of the housing would be considered low income type of housing. They citizens hate law enforcement, and can not keep a town marshall. You would be better off looking else where.
This may be so in the past. But, if any would care to notice, the small town of Northport WA is on the uprise. There is quite a few changes that is trying take place in the small town and the people are ready to see them through to the finnish. As for the other things that has been said to the detriment of our community, it can be said that the one who said them didnt realy know or have much knowledge of what has been happening of the late. The horrizons project is hard at work in the community to make changes, and the town of Northport is leading the way in comparison to Colville and others in the surrounding area. The law enforcment may be low or non existant in yours or some others estamate, but in reality the town itself is realy low in crime as can be compared to other larger cities. To say anything different is like a pot calling the kettle black.

Im sure that if anyone wants more information on the little town of northport, it can be found from them who live in the town, and who experiance the living there on a day by day basis, to be much more informative than some one who dosent live there themselves. And, last but not the least, just in case some one wanted to know. YES I WAS OFFENDED !

Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 60,402 times
Grizzly9829,
Hi there,
The town of Northport is small and people keep to themselves. But if you want to live in town,it's not much there,but isn't that what the world was about in the past. Talking about getting back to the past.This little town will make you feel like you have gone back in time.
My husband and I just bought 40 acres outside of Northport,we are only minutes from the little town,we love it there. The scenery is absolutley beautiful and people are nice,and not rude. The world will go belly up around us,but this is ok,cause my hausband and I found a great heaven in those hills...You can't beat the wildlife,and as the last person that left you a quote,you don't have to worry about crime. At least this is what we feel about the town and what we have heard from the local realty company we bought from Verle and Merle(the late) in Colville.You could ask for better people.We will do any early retirement to the Cedar lake area in 4 years. In the mean time we are building "OUR DREAM HOME" in a "DREAM LAND" You just can't go wrong....Re-concider and judge for yourself....
Currently living in the Lakewood,Wa area....YUK!!!! Talk about a rat race. No peace here. Can't wait to become part of the Northport Citizans.....

Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,219 times
we bought a house to remodel in northport last year and it may take us a while to finish it but we do not really care. it is fun. we were from colorado originally and when we retired moved to arkansas. not a good match. we need the mountains of the west... so in our search, we found northport. sort of like going back in time. the people are wonderful and kind and helpful. but not pushy or snoopy. everyone is really nice that we have met. we have not lived there in the winter as we are still trying to sell our house in arkansas. but summer is great . if you want big city stuff. this is the wrong place for you. if you want beauty and peace and wild life and the river and clouds that .hang like magic from the sky to surround the mountains as if they are embracing them, this is perfect. i am sure there is not a place in this country where drugs are not a problem. as far as law enforcement, the border partol acts as dual service agents and have the authority to enforce the law if need be. perfect for me... i really do not want the government in my face. anyway, we love it there. lots of fun things in surrounding area, a bit far from a big town and that also soots us. good luck

Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM

17 posts, read 97,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJones View Post
This may be so in the past. But, if any would care to notice, the small town of Northport WA is on the uprise. There is quite a few changes that is trying take place in the small town and the people are ready to see them through to the finnish. As for the other things that has been said to the detriment of our community, it can be said that the one who said them didnt realy know or have much knowledge of what has been happening of the late. The horrizons project is hard at work in the community to make changes, and the town of Northport is leading the way in comparison to Colville and others in the surrounding area. The law enforcment may be low or non existant in yours or some others estamate, but in reality the town itself is realy low in crime as can be compared to other larger cities. To say anything different is like a pot calling the kettle black.

Im sure that if anyone wants more information on the little town of northport, it can be found from them who live in the town, and who experiance the living there on a day by day basis, to be much more informative than some one who dosent live there themselves. And, last but not the least, just in case some one wanted to know. YES I WAS OFFENDED !
Get over...Northport, is a hellhole and a very small, unemployable welfare town. I am not saying everyone is like that but as a former social worker from Colville, dealing with those in Northport was awful. They all were total losers and wanted the citizens to foot the bill for their bad decisions about life. Now i do have retired friend who live there, but they are self supporting, and actually do volunteer work to help these leaches on society, so i say there are good ones up there, but majority rules. Welfare is a way of life for most up there.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 50,876 times
The Okanogan has a huge number of child molesters per captia than just about anywhere else in the country. I am sure they are just misunderstood and lonely guys (not!).

As we all know: poverty rarely produces drug dependency, alcoholism and/or sex crimes especially against family members.

IF you see no error in Grizzlys comments then perhaps it would be a great place for you.

Grizzly9829,
Hi there,
The town of Northport is small and people keep to themselves. But if you want to live in town,it's not much there,but isn't that what the world was about in the past. Talking about getting back to the past.This little town will make you feel like you have gone back in time.
My husband and I just bought 40 acres outside of Northport,we are only minutes from the little town,we love it there. The scenery is absolutley beautiful and people are nice,and not rude. The world will go belly up around us,but this is ok,cause my hausband and I found a great heaven in those hills...You can't beat the wildlife,and as the last person that left you a quote,you don't have to worry about crime. At least this is what we feel about the town and what we have heard from the local realty company we bought from Verle and Merle(the late) in Colville.You could ask for better people.We will do any early retirement to the Cedar lake area in 4 years. In the mean time we are building "OUR DREAM HOME" in a "DREAM LAND" You just can't go wrong....Re-concider and judge for yourself....
Currently living in the Lakewood,Wa area....YUK!!!! Talk about a rat race. No peace here. Can't wait to become part of the Northport Citizans.....

Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,877 times
Default lilblondidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblondsmurf View Post
Get over...Northport, is a hellhole and a very small, unemployable welfare town. I am not saying everyone is like that but as a former social worker from Colville, dealing with those in Northport was awful. They all were total losers and wanted the citizens to foot the bill for their bad decisions about life. Now i do have retired friend who live there, but they are self supporting, and actually do volunteer work to help these leaches on society, so i say there are good ones up there, but majority rules. Welfare is a way of life for most up there.
You are very mis-informed, and as a social worker you should know better than to bad mouth a whole community when all you delt with was a small percentage of the population. I live in Northport and can say that most everyone would disagree with your opinion of our small but happy community. Untill you walk in our shoes you should keep your opinion to yourself, and let others see for them self what a wonderful little town Northport Wa. is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington