Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 05:46 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone here goes in the water (Sound, Gorge, lakes, rivers, etc...) in the winter via kayak or paddle board? I know CD isn't necessarily an accurate sampling of WA's outdoor folks. But I'm still curious if any of you have tried this in the winter? I've already seen photos/videos of others doing it in the PNW as well as Canada. Just wondering if any here have tried it? The main thing one has to prepare for is going *in* the water which can be very cold. That's why many seem to use dry suits in the PNW and further north.

I was just out paddle boarding today during the storm and rain. Air temps were in the 40s and I wasn't too cold with a decent jacket on. Once exercising the cold doesn't bother me very much. The same is true while skiing/snowboarding in freezing temps. Here's a couple shots in between the rain bands today.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-03-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 11:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Going IN the water on Puget Sound is potentially life-threateningly-cold in either summer or winter.... it's no different! So most where wet or dry suits regardless... We do see kayakers out on the sound in front of our beach house in winter... on nice days anyway, usually following pretty close to shore, probably because it's more interesting there as much as anything... I imagine kayaking is not all that fun if the water is too windy/choppy or you're having to deal with the wakes from a lot of other boats.

Upland, our rivers are all running pretty high and fast, which undoubtedly changes the experience for kayakers... I think it's a one-way trip right now, down stream, there is no paddle up and drift back down.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Going IN the water on Puget Sound is potentially life-threateningly-cold in either summer or winter.... it's no different! So most where wet or dry suits regardless... We do see kayakers out on the sound in front of our beach house in winter... on nice days anyway, usually following pretty close to shore, probably because it's more interesting there as much as anything... I imagine kayaking is not all that fun if the water is too windy/choppy or you're having to deal with the wakes from a lot of other boats.

Upland, our rivers are all running pretty high and fast, which undoubtedly changes the experience for kayakers... I think it's a one-way trip right now, down stream, there is no paddle up and drift back down.
Thanks, yeah, I'm planning on wearing a wetsuit or dry suit. I wear them currently year round down south.

I thought I might find out more if I could find a forum for paddle boarding or kayaking in the PNW. I did find one which has been pretty informative here: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/in...oard,49.0.html

It's amazing what I've seen some of these committed paddlers doing. This was one of the more interesting stories from a guy who uses his paddle board to commute to work daily in Portland... rain, wind or snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUkFXMdZkLk

Derek

Old 03-04-2018, 08:44 PM

812 posts, read 1,061,971 times
Unless ice is totally clogging the waterway, whitewater kayakers are rarely stopped by Winter.
I used to know a bunch of kayakers when I lived in the Seattle area. Once you have the dry suit on, and if the water isn't frozen solid, its not much different Winter or Summer, so they said.

Seems to be the same now that I am in central Oregon. That is ice on the river's edges in this photo....
tr1010985KayakAction by Thom I, on Flickr

My biggest issue, not owning a dry suit, for my flatwater kayaking or paddle boarding is getting onto the craft without feet turning into wet ice cubes.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:23 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
When I lived in western WA, I sea kayaked year ‘round. Salt water doesn’t ice over there. Wetsuit or drysuit every time, regardless of season. I added a dive hood in winter, and it helped keep me warm. BIG difference with it or without it. Much warmer than just a neoprene cap. My neck is very sensitive to cold.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
scuba diver here.

The diving in Puget Sound is actually better in the winter due to improved visibility (less algal blooms in the water). I dive year round and I also dived year-round during the decade that I lived in Juneau Alaska where the water temperature, especially in winter, is much colder than Puget Sound.

I know the surfers in Alaska also surf year round.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
scuba diver here.

The diving in Puget Sound is actually better in the winter due to improved visibility (less algal blooms in the water). I dive year round and I also dived year-round during the decade that I lived in Juneau Alaska where the water temperature, especially in winter, is much colder than Puget Sound.

I know the surfers in Alaska also surf year round.
As an old surfer i just gotta say "That looks wicked Cold!" I have to hand it to you and these surfers. The big difference between paddle boarding and kayaking is that 'most of the time' you are not submerged like divers or surfers. With the later you are in the water much more! If these guys are surfing in wetsuits as opposed to drysuits that cold water is eventually rushing down the back of their spine!

Derek

Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 AM

812 posts, read 1,061,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
.........If these guys are surfing in wetsuits as opposed to drysuits that cold water is eventually rushing down the back of their spine!

Derek
Yikes! That instantly struck me in that photo too! Those are wetsuits not drysuits! That is crazy hardcore!

Old 03-09-2018, 10:07 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
Yikes! That instantly struck me in that photo too! Those are wetsuits not drysuits! That is crazy hardcore!
A 6mm wetsuit with a hood is plenty warm as long as you size it right and have the right attitude! I have friends that complain when it's 65 degrees air temp and others that think 20 degrees is just about right. Go with the right people, have a positive attitude and good gear, and it's a lot of fun.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:22 AM

1,348 posts, read 706,767 times
i paddleboard year round in gig harbor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington