Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 10:07 PM

638 posts, read 527,169 times

Advertisements

I was going to say, Eatonville, Orting, Lynden, until you mentioned snow. You need to stay on the east side for snow. Okanogan maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 10:19 PM

339 posts, read 724,676 times
Maybe I should be looking at B.C. Canada. �� But that would mean my family and friends would need passports to visit me...

Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 PM

Googled Okanagan and just doesn’t look like what I had in mind. I suppose Washington isn’t for us. It’s the west side that is so attractive and just has that “Alaska” vibe, however silly that sounds.. but without snow it’s a no-go. I guess we’ll just have to vacation there.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:57 PM

638 posts, read 527,169 times
We don't have a lot of snow out here. Even in the mountains, snow only lasts a few months a year. I think that snow+green requires you to look further north. Sorry, but at least you are realistic and know what you want! Good luck, BC is gorgeous.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,721,648 times
Now you are getting some more "Musts" (That's fine, but would have been helpful at post #1)

WA has a VERY diverse climate and MOST of it is HOT and DRY in summer.

OK... now that you are WEST of the Cascades (and MUST have SNOW) your choices are much ezr.

Very close to Sequim... (34 miles) there is SERIOUS SNOW! @ Hurricane Ridge" (as in sometime burying the entire snow pack measurement equipment!) https://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/hurricaneridge/now/

Mt Baker (near Bellingham and BC) can be similar (Had to dig OUT the ski lift a few yrs ago)
https://www.onthesnow.com/washington...-snowfall.html

Where is your family from?

In WA you can use an 'Enhanced' DL to get you into Canada and Mexico (no passport required).
Also a Nexus option (Canadian based, so may require a Passport to get a Nexus)

WA is NOT AK... thus I usually recommend teachers to go to AK or to WY.

If you want to leave AK (and it doesn't sound like you want to leave), then Canada would be a much more 'similar' choice.

The lower 48 is FULL of Californians and they have saturated (and over paid for homes) in ALL the pristine and formerly desirable areas of the western USA. Just a fact that completed propagation in 1990's. Many local people were forced from their lifelong homes due to escalated property valuations (CA is protected by prop 13).

Consider other 'civilized options' Snow + variety of seasons and COOL summers
NZ (best if you are under age 32).

Maine?

By all means... living internationally while with kids is ideal (avoid (failed) USA school system)

Old 03-26-2018, 08:18 AM

246 posts, read 318,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The San Juans might be perfect in some ways, but rents are high on Orcas. IDK about the other islands. At this point, I suspect we're all curious to know how the OP supported herself in AK. Probably by working remotely?
Just finding long term rentals is problematic on the San Juans. We were lucky when we moved out here that we were able to find both long term and relatively cheap. But my landlady was looking for stability over money until the place appreciated enough that she could sell it. When she was ready to, we agreed on a price and bought it so we wouldn’t have to move again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The San Juans might be a little too touristy and perfect for an Alaska native. Not sure about wearing a dress with mud boots in Friday Harbor.

And it is certainly not done in Roche.
Not a lot of locals spend their time in Roche Harbor unless they work there or have friends in town. I’m not sure if I’ve seen the equivalent of mud boots and a sundress in FH but I definitely have in Lopez Village.

I only really notice the tourists at three times: when I walk the dog, when I’m on the ferry, and going to the grocery store. But I don’t have a tourism dependent job.

One of the local realtors said in a magazine, “One big difference between the Hamptons and the San Juan Islands is that these people come to the latter to disappear. You can be Bill Gates in flip flops and people won’t bat an eyelid.”

And by & large it’s true up and down the economic scale. Personally, I find it’s a bit more like Monty Python’s social hermits where all the hermits moved to the same mountain and stop to chat with each other on their way up and down the mountain.

I’ve failed as a recluse though. That’s partly why I’ve taken a job that will keep me in Seattle 6 months if the year.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:33 AM

14,411 posts, read 11,922,991 times
Good info about real life on the San Juans.... I'm afraid I've only been there as a tourist, when we had our boat growing up. I've never been back stage.

And perhaps it is a good place to disappear. I remember having Sunday Brunch at Roche Harbor... and scanning the faces in the restaurant, because we were fairly sure that the number of really big money boats (some with helicopters on board) down on the dock, there was probably at least some of them we should recognize... but we didn't.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:36 AM

6,323 posts, read 6,988,487 times
You want green and snow.

Yaak River country in northwestern Montana. Across the state line in Idaho the Moiye River area could meet your needs but it is crowded.

The other one is Cooke City in Montana, but it is on a entrance to Yellowstone National Park so you get crazy people there from 4th of July through Labor Day.

I don't know anything about parts of the upper midwest, but you might want to check that country out.

If your young enough and have a professional skill set it is fairly easy to immigrate into Canada. That will at least get you closer to your family...but to avoid the large population in BC you really need to be north of Prince George.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:20 PM

Our families are in northern WI and western NY.

Yaak river country in MT looks great, and the real estate prices not too bad. I imagine there are lots of options for hiking/biking/snowmobile trails around there. Hot summers though. Friendliness and lifestyle? Outdoorsy (hunting fishing etc.) or more ag? Probably no berries, but lots of ticks?

Old 03-26-2018, 01:22 PM

14,411 posts, read 11,922,991 times
If you want evergreens and snow for a longer part of the year then check out the North Cascades or even Snoqualmie Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington