Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Yeah, go ahead and dishonestly "certify" your dog as a service animal. https://blog.dogsbite.org/2018/07/br...-bad-idea.html
I did not know what "certify" meant. Pit Bulls can turn. What happens to the owner if a child is hurt by a "certified" dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 07:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I did not know what "certify" meant. Pit Bulls can turn. What happens to the owner if a child is hurt by a "certified" dog?
Leaving aside whether pits are inherently more dangerous than other breeds, let’s consider what would happen if any assistance dog harmed a person.

The person who is harmed sues. In the case of a child who is bitten, the parent sues in their behalf. The jury makes a determination of fault and awards damages.

If it is uncovered during the trial that the owner presented the dog as a service animal, and the dog was not appropriately trained, then I imagine the jury will have a negative view of the owner’s honesty and credibility. They may, or they may not, award higher damages as a result.

All of this assumes the dog bites somebody badly enough to cause serious injury. That is not a certainty by any means, and many pit bulls are very gentle dogs.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Leaving aside whether pits are inherently more dangerous than other breeds, let’s consider what would happen if any assistance dog harmed a person.

The person who is harmed sues. In the case of a child who is bitten, the parent sues in their behalf. The jury makes a determination of fault and awards damages.

If it is uncovered during the trial that the owner presented the dog as a service animal, and the dog was not appropriately trained, then I imagine the jury will have a negative view of the owner’s honesty and credibility. They may, or they may not, award higher damages as a result.

All of this assumes the dog bites somebody badly enough to cause serious injury. That is not a certainty by any means, and many pit bulls are very gentle dogs.
Yes, I agree that most pit bulls are gentle dogs but getting a fake certification means that landlords with more than five units can't say no to a "certified" dog, even if they have a policy that prohibits pets. Also, people that are quick to break the rules tend to be the same ones that don't know how to control their dogs and blame others when their dog causes problems.

As far as the lawsuit remedy, what good is that if the dog owner doesn't have the money to pay the judgement, or worse yet, someone gets killed? No lawsuit will fix that.

Last year 29 people were killed by pit bull-type dogs, most of them family pets. "In 2017, the combination of pit bulls (29), their close cousins, American bulldogs (1) and mastiff-type guard dogs and war dogs (2) contributed to 82% (32) of all dog bite-related fatalities. Rottweilers inflicted 1 death, killing an 18-month old Phoenix boy." (dogs bite.org)

"German shepherds had the second highest death rate in 2017, inflicting 4 deaths, followed by mixed-breeds with 3 deaths and two breeds with 2 deaths, Labrador retrievers and mastiff-types, and 2 deaths involving unknown/unreleased breed data." (same source)

As far as lawsuits: "In 2017, 21% (8) of all fatal dog attacks resulted in meaningful criminal charges, equal to the 12-year average.6 All 8 cases with criminal charges involved pit bulls, including one adopted from a city shelter that joined in a deadly pack attack." (same source)

Edit: I forgot to mention that these stats are for the U.S. In countries like Germany that restrict the breeds that are most likely to kill the number of deaths is quite low per year.

Last edited by Angry-Koala; 07-13-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 PM

I get it. You don’t like pit bulls. I wasn’t advocating passing a pet off as a service animal. I was simply responding to your question as to what would happen if one attacked.

Essentially, not much difference than one that wasn’t masquerading as a service animal.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I get it. You don’t like pit bulls. I wasn’t advocating passing a pet off as a service animal. I was simply responding to your question as to what would happen if one attacked.

Essentially, not much difference than one that wasn’t masquerading as a service animal.
Somebody else asked that question, not me.
Quote:
You're making it seem like pit bull bites are no big deal, which is misleading. German shepherds aren't known for tearing people's flesh off but pit bulls are. Imagine trying to recover for damages in a case like that. In most cases you'll be out of luck.
Quote:
Since pit bulls kill far more people in America every year than any other type of dog (29 people this year, many of them their owners or owner's children) there's got to be something to the warnings.

Go ahead and ignore the information I provided if you want and claim that I hate pit bulls, if it makes you feel better, (I don't hate them. I just don't think most people should own them.) But what's wrong with letting people know what they are capable of so they can make their own decisions?

Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 PM

67 posts, read 80,370 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Quote:
Apparently none of you saw the OP, you know where I said I don’t care about anyone’s opinion about the breed. But I will address the following:

- certified service animals and emotional support animals are not the same thing and the terms are not interchangeable. ESA has become a convenient way for people to get around blanket breed restrictions with regard to rental housing. Whether the breed restrictions put forth by insurance companies are worse than people getting ESA certificates for their restricted breed dogs is an individual assessment and NOT for discussion here.

- most of the stats reported on that site have been challenged and proven false. That site is run by an outspoken anti-pitbull maniac and the content should be viewed as biased.

- regardless of the opinions of the breed, every pitbull owner faces a steep uphill battle with regard to housing, insurance, and public opinion. For those of you who don’t face these challenges daily, be thankful.

I was fortunate to get a job and housing in Salem, OR so there really is no need for further discussion in this thread.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Can you imagine an apartment complex full of pit bulls

Old 07-15-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Somebody else asked that question, not me. You're making it seem like pit bull bites are no big deal, which is misleading. German shepherds aren't known for tearing people's flesh off but pit bulls are. Imagine trying to recover for damages in a case like that. In most cases you'll be out of luck.
I don’t see how you can twist my post in this manner. I never said pit bull bites were minor, nor did I say they were horrendous. I never compared them to a different breed bite. I did say that if a bite occurred damages are assessed by the legal system, and whether a dog is alleged certified or not makes no difference.

I was completely neutral on bites

[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
Apparently none of you saw the OP, you know where I said I don’t care about anyone’s opinion about the breed
See above. I was neither addressing your opinion of the breed, or the breed as a whole. I said that you did the right thing by not abandoning your animal 8n favor of housing, and I noted that Angry-Koala didn’t like pits, at which point A-K denied that a moment before blasting them as dangerous.

I am glad you found a job and an apt. Congrats. I hope that you, and your dog, are happy.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:42 PM

Jason2112 - Apparently none of you saw the OP, you know where I said I don’t care about anyone’s opinion about the breed.

No, I saw it. I was responding to post #29, where BakerWilliams32 made a suggestion for you to use CertaPet to fake certify your dog so you could get into a rental here.

Jason2112 - most of the stats reported on that site have been challenged and proven false.

Not true. Even though people that don't like the site like to make that claim, all the stats are backed up by links to police reports, media reports, owner's online postings, etc.

Jason2112 - That site is run by an outspoken anti-pitbull maniac and the content should be viewed as biased.

I wasn't aware that raising public awareness about a potential danger means one is crazy.

fishbrains - I don’t see how you can twist my post in this manner. I never said pit bull bites were minor, nor did I say they were horrendous. I never compared them to a different breed bite.

This: "All of this assumes the dog bites somebody badly enough to cause serious injury. That is not a certainty by any means, and many pit bulls are very gentle dogs."

To me this comes across as, "pit bull bites are no worse than bites from poodles or golden retrievers, people, so no big deal." My apologies if that's not what you meant.

fishbrains - and I noted that Angry-Koala didn’t like pits, at which point A-K denied that a moment before blasting them as dangerous.

Being aware that something has the potential to be dangerous doesn't mean one will automatically hate it. I know many of the people that warn about the dangers of pits do hate them, but I don't. I do hate when clueless and/or naive people own them (which happens way too often) and little babies and children end up getting mauled or killed.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:03 AM

1,487 posts, read 781,234 times
Default No violent breeds is the norm.

Pitbulls (and Staffordshires), Chows, Dobermans and Rottweilers are not acceptable pets almost everywhere in Washington, except maybe trailer parks, sorry for the stigma, but it's there.
Even if your Rottweiler is a little baby in a dog's body, they get you with a weight requirement, which is usually no dogs over 100lbs.
That's the way it is, sweetie. You are going to strike out in apartment hunting. You're wasting time trying to get an apartment. Besides, most people in apartments have lap dogs, and the majority rules. Try trailer parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington