Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 11:26 AM

118 posts, read 317,177 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning on moving to WA around the end of the year/beginning of next year. I work from home and need reliable high speed internet. I'm interested in the Ocean Shores or Aberdeen areas, atm, but I'm having trouble finding information about the internet service. I found a site that says they have CenturyLink, which is not very appealing to me, but it also says Grays Harbor PUD offers fiber with up to 1000mb/s. I went to the Grays Harbor PUD site and can't find anything meaningful about residential fiber.

Is there anywhere here who lives there and has fiber? What does it cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 11:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,773,937 times
Grays Harbor PUD has no optical lines to Ocean Shores.

Century Link is fairly reliable, but service to Ocean Shore is only 20 Mps and usually limits around 12 or 13 Mps.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:16 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,287,033 times
Ocean Shores and the North Beach area have slow and expensive internet. If you want to live at the beach, look at Westport or Grayland instead, which have Comcast/xfinity. Aberdeen/Hoquiam also have Comcast/xfinity. The PUD is generally wholesale only.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:24 PM

118 posts, read 317,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Grays Harbor PUD has no optical lines to Ocean Shores.

Century Link is fairly reliable, but service to Ocean Shore is only 20 Mps and usually limits around 12 or 13 Mps.
Thanks. Do you happen to know the upload? The Century Link website doesn't say.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:38 PM

6,285 posts, read 6,928,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
...... The PUD is generally wholesale only...........
Thanks to Governor Locke and the Democrats the PUD's are limited by law to wholesale only. So far bills allowing the retailing of internet, phone, and cable TV services by the PUD's have been stalled in the Legislature.

Washington state has the "best government money can buy".

Call the PUD and see who retails their services. Hint...it is NOT Century Link. None of the major corporations have signed on to use the public fiber networks in the state.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:58 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,773,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGal25 View Post
Thanks. Do you happen to know the upload? The Century Link website doesn't say.
Just did a speed test:
Download about 9Mps (It's slow today. It's usually around 12Mps)
Upload .66 Mps

There are no data caps or download limitations.

We pay $40.00 a month.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:23 PM

17,103 posts, read 11,943,054 times
Work in software development and have a coworker out in Ocean Shores. Says the options are CenturyLink(good in some locations not others, capped out at 3mb at his house), Verizon which is good but pricey, or Coastal Communications which is the cable monopoly along most of the coast. He has coastal but it is $205/mo for a mere 15 down/4 up and a 500gb cap!!
Comcast is available in some of Grayland just to the south.

Lack of good internet is pretty much the only reason we skipped living in a beach house and live in Vancouver instead and visit the beach.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 478 times
I’m considering moving to Ocean Shores to work from home. Over the past few months I’ve heard online how terrible the internet is there and how costly it is. Ive also gone to Coast Communications website and see how limited their options were. However... about a month ago I went to their website again and see they now offer 100mbps and 250mbps internet speeds. Can anyone there confirm that their internet has gotten better thanks to this recent upgrade in the infrastructure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington