U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:45 PM

6,063 posts, read 4,230,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupulin View Post
Before moving to Lynden, do some research on it. It's like an ultra religious, pleasantville kinda' place that reminds me of some Mormon towns in Utah. Of course, if you're ultra religious, very conservative, etc., then maybe it would be perfect for you. I've heard it has some strict codes/laws, almost as if the entire town is under an HOA. Lynden only recently got a decent taproom (I think it used to have antiquated restrictions on bars ... or at least bars being open past certain times). Another metric of comparison: Bellingham now has 13 breweries; Lynden has 0. That said, it's a cute town to visit, with an awesome bakery downtown.
They also get complaints about smells from the large dairy farms there:

Lynden, Wa stinks I mean literally stinks!

http://www.northwestchptap.org/NwChp...yCaseStudy.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 10:47 PM

336 posts, read 198,665 times
Outside of the medical industry, there are no jobs here that pay decent enough wages for 2 adults to support a family. The best solution is to be self-employed and bring the online business with you.

Real estate prices will not go down much, if at all. Foreign investors and Calif/Seattle refugees drive prices up. People in WA are very loyal to credit unions so they didn't suffer as much from the predatory lenders (BofA, Chase, Wells Fargo, Ameriquest, etc) that caused the big crash.

Bellingham, Blaine, and Ferndale are your best choices. School districts are good in all towns. Lynden really does stink and you want a town along the I-5 freeway. All the other towns are 30+ minutes away from the freeway. And they are far apart so lots of time in the car. Yuck.

Bellingham has lots more activities, especially for kids. If you choose Blaine, you can spend lots of time in White Rock, BC - a couple miles north of the border. A lively and charming Canadian city. Much more going on there than in Bellingham.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:09 AM

192 posts, read 236,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Do they all share the same school system?
Nope.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM

670 posts, read 272,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Outside of the medical industry, there are no jobs here that pay decent enough wages for 2 adults to support a family. The best solution is to be self-employed and bring the online business with you.

Real estate prices will not go down much, if at all. Foreign investors and Calif/Seattle refugees drive prices up. People in WA are very loyal to credit unions so they didn't suffer as much from the predatory lenders (BofA, Chase, Wells Fargo, Ameriquest, etc) that caused the big crash.

Bellingham, Blaine, and Ferndale are your best choices. School districts are good in all towns. Lynden really does stink and you want a town along the I-5 freeway. All the other towns are 30+ minutes away from the freeway. And they are far apart so lots of time in the car. Yuck.

Bellingham has lots more activities, especially for kids. If you choose Blaine, you can spend lots of time in White Rock, BC - a couple miles north of the border. A lively and charming Canadian city. Much more going on there than in Bellingham.
I'm definitely bringing my online work with me, otherwise it may not even be an option. I have considered the Everett area but that's only a second option if our situation doesn't work out closer to the border.

I've been to white rock before, very memorable. A safe place to play near home is all we need, as most activities will probably be when they visit my in-laws in BC.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:50 PM

So what's the difference between Bellingham and Mount Vernon?

I see Mount Vernon has many tulips and is closer to Seattle. Do the tulips indicate a friendly city? Mount Vernon also appears cheaper, but I'm not sure if there's a good reason for that.

Is there a certain type of people who move to one over the other? Bellingham seems popular just for being the gateway city to Canada.

When I first went to Canada I briefly stopped in both and honestly I said to myself I would never live near the Canada border/ border patrol for the trouble I've experienced and flash-backs, including having to drive across Canada to reach closer to home on east coast. Do people really like living near the border? I feel like I need a buffer zone between my residence and border. I use to feel uneasy until I drove at least 1 state away from the border. But not to ramble...

Old 08-21-2018, 07:04 PM

498 posts, read 1,765,129 times
Mt. Vernon is more affordable and has sidewalks downtown- but you will find panhandlers and a growing homeless problem, especially in summer. The downtown has been working on renewal. It's cheaper because it's generally a lower income area and doesn't have the amenities of Bellingham. During the tulips, traffic is crazy!

Old 08-21-2018, 07:09 PM

71,801 posts, read 63,003,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
So what's the difference between Bellingham and Mount Vernon?

I see Mount Vernon has many tulips and is closer to Seattle. Do the tulips indicate a friendly city? Mount Vernon also appears cheaper, but I'm not sure if there's a good reason for that.

Is there a certain type of people who move to one over the other? Bellingham seems popular just for being the gateway city to Canada.

When I first went to Canada I briefly stopped in both and honestly I said to myself I would never live near the Canada border/ border patrol for the trouble I've experienced and flash-backs, including having to drive across Canada to reach closer to home on east coast. Do people really like living near the border? I feel like I need a buffer zone between my residence and border. I use to feel uneasy until I drove at least 1 state away from the border. But not to ramble...
B'ham isn't THAT close to the border. Blaine is closer.

B'ham is larger, than Mt. Vernon, more like a regular city.

BYOGM; bring your own gas mask (for the smoky, forest-fire weeks).

Old 08-21-2018, 07:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,360,877 times
The tulips are a pretty big commercial business and tourist draw.

Only 30,000 in Mount Vernon itself but 120k in the metro comprised of MV and Anacortes and places around them. Metro growing by about 1,000 per year.

Slightly cheaper and slightly lower Democratic party registration.

Was originally a logging town then the railroad became important. Not really part of the new economy, at least yet. Unemployment higher than much of the Puget Sound region.

The Skagit Valley is beautiful.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-21-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Mt. Vernon is more affordable and has sidewalks downtown- but you will find panhandlers and a growing homeless problem, especially in summer. The downtown has been working on renewal. It's cheaper because it's generally a lower income area and doesn't have the amenities of Bellingham. During the tulips, traffic is crazy!
Are you implying that Bellingham doesn't have sidewalks? I recall walking on roads in Bellingham, can't remember the sidewalk situation. But being more expensive I would definitely expect a network of sidewalks even beyond the town center.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
B'ham isn't THAT close to the border. Blaine is closer.

B'ham is larger, than Mt. Vernon, more like a regular city.

BYOGM; bring your own gas mask (for the smoky, forest-fire weeks).
I know my wife's family use to go to Bellingham to shop, so it's close enough for an a-hole border officer to live there. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or