Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:47 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,284 times

Advertisements

Very interesting story, Counting Down! I had no idea. The next time I drive around beautiful Lake Crescent, I'll certainly think about this sad story. There's a link to an additional article (from 2001) on the story you linked--it was very interesting too. Maybe that's the one with more details you're thinking of. Really fascinating history of this magnificent lake! Seems like there's an idea for a movie within its depths. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 PM

42 posts, read 145,285 times
LMB... thanks... that was the original article I recalled and I didn't even see the link in the story I found! I'll put a link to the article you pointed out at the end of this post, it has a lot more information.
Seems to be a lot of history at the lake... how about the 'Lady of the Lake'... another interesting one!

http://http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/51413_mystery20.shtml (broken link)

Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,980,910 times
I forgot to mention in my long post on the previous page that we tried to go the the 3 Crabs Restaurant in Sequim. We arrived at 7:15 and there was a long wait. Unfortunately, they close at 8 and they told us they wouldn't be able to seat us at all. We were sad, but we did see some great birds there . Hubby asked me, "How did you know about this restaurant??? It's so out of the way?" I told him, my sprites on CD told me . We did, however, have a lovely meal in LMB's town of Poulsbo earlier that day on our way to Sequim.

And I found the post that mentions bears (it's #53.) I remembered the part from that post about gassing up before leaving Port Townsend (we did.)

I'm currently going through all the 100s of photos. When I get a moment, I'll post a few.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,284 times
Sounds like you had a wonderful visit to western WA, cmac! We finally made it to the 3 Crabs a few weeks ago for the first time. Yum! It was a delicious way to end a beautiful afternoon at the Dungeness Spit. Hope you get back soon and have a chance to go to the 3 Crabs (especially now that you know where it is!). What restaurant did you try in Poulsbo? I think we have some pretty good ones here. That's the up side of being somewhat of a tourist town. This was an exciting weekend for Little Norway--Viking Fest! This place was bursting at the seams. The weather was perfect and all the downtown restaurants had their patios open. Fun weekend! Summertime brings a bunch of festivals to this area. C'mon back!

Lynn

Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 PM

Here are some photos from our trip:

One of the three bears we were delighted to find in Quinault rainforest:

One of many gorgeous waterfalls in Quinault rainforest:

A pair of peaceful Roosevelt Elk at dusk (in Quinault rainforest):

Cathy on a bridge on the trail to Second Beach at La Push (wearing about 75 layers, as recommended by AllForCats -- it was COLD and wet! Thanks AFC for the clothing suggestions. We were warm and dry!):

Second Beach, La Push (SOOOOO gorgeous -- and worth the walk back up 40,000+ steep steps!):

Steve on Railroad Bridge in Sequim:

Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,097,058 times
Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! uhhhhhhhh except for the first guy who looks like a Black Bear. Unlike Brown Bears, Black Bears chew humans just for the hell of it. Since he obviously knew you were there, tis a good thing indeed he wasn't hungry.......

LOVE THE WATERFALL!! Love the Elk. Love the bridge. Love seeing you both looking exactly like western Washingtonians look most of the time!! :-) Yes, LaPush. Did you enjoy that area? You must have if you saw guillemots.

What delightful fun!! Did the girls enjoy the "strangeness" of the photos?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! uhhhhhhhh except for the first guy who looks like a Black Bear. Unlike Brown Bears, Black Bears chew humans just for the hell of it. Since he obviously knew you were there, tis a good thing indeed he wasn't hungry.......

LOVE THE WATERFALL!! Love the Elk. Love the bridge. Love seeing you both looking exactly like western Washingtonians look most of the time!! :-) Yes, LaPush. Did you enjoy that area? You must have if you saw guillemots.

What delightful fun!! Did the girls enjoy the "strangeness" of the photos?

Despite how close he looks, the black bear was quite a ways away (zoom lenses are great for situations like this!) And I was IN the car.

La Push was beautiful! That's where we saw all the eagles and the pigeon guillemots (and many other birds, but the guillemots were life birds for us.) That hike down to the beach was refreshing on the way down, gorgeous when we were down there (though this old body wasn't quite so agile on the piles of logs that we had to traverse to get to the beach.) But that walk back up -- oh my. Even some young men in their 20s had to stop and rest on those many many steps back up.

The girls were delighted by the bear photos (though Elena says she's not going to go see the bears when we're in Alaska,) and they were amazed by the tree that daddy went inside of (on the North shore road -- the largest red cedar in the world -- you can actually walk into the tree.)

Glad you enjoyed the photos! After all the help that you and LMB (and others, too!) gave, I had to show proof of our great Olympic Peninsula adventure!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
... they were amazed by the tree that daddy went inside of (on the North shore road -- the largest red cedar in the world -- you can actually walk into the tree.)
Hahahahaha... did "daddy" hear the echo of my voice inside that tree????? I was inside that tree on August something last year, like the 15th I think. Middle of the day, just me and the forest alone together, and then I saw this TREE!!!!!!!!!!! The tree of all trees, eh? I mustve hugged every inch of the outside of the tree. I am so happy you found the tree!!! That tree just loves to be loved...

Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Cmac, did you two fall in love with the MOSS all over the Oly Pen as much as I did??

Old 05-19-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Cmac, did you two fall in love with the MOSS all over the Oly Pen as much as I did??
That moss was EVERYWHERE!!! If we have moss growing on our roof here in MD (which we do) it's not a good thing. The moss growing on the roofs on the cottages along the Lake Quinault South Shore road was just so beautiful. And even better was the moss growing on everything all over the forest. EVERYWHERE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington