U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,309,642 times

Advertisements

Here are two photos showing the destruction from the December 2007 storm. The destruction was amazing. It must have been terrifying to be there during the storm with those huge trees falling by the hundreds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM

A very cooperative eagle in La Push (not quite fully mature since his head feathers aren't all white quite yet):

Old 05-20-2008, 09:14 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,142,514 times
Isn't he a wild child!! (Aren't ALL children wild childs?!! :-) You and hubs are so fortunate that he graced you with his amazing attention... Cmacf, that's a wonderful photo -- I can FEEL his feathers on my fingertips...... thank you....

Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Reminds me of a wonderful old eagle joke:

"I AM smiling!"

Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 PM

"I AM smiling!"

He does look rather stern, doesn't he? He was only about 25 feet away from us, then he moved even closer, though he had his back to us the whole time (guess he trusted us!) Apparently, he has looked even scruffier than he looked that day, but he's learning to preen (a local came over to talk to us and told us about him.)

Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 AM
LMB

406 posts, read 1,654,362 times
Wow! Great pics, Cmac! Those eagle pics are wonderful! Love the moss covered trees too. The storm damage in the forest is really amazing--reminds me of Orlando after Hurricane Charlie blew through a few years ago. Whole neighborhoods of beautiful huge oaks were flattened just like that, with giant slabs of earth covered roots jutting up in the air. It was terrifying, especially because it was after dark. The sound of those massive trees cracking and crashing to the ground, or unfortunately in some cases through roofs, was something I'll never forget. Severe weather can happen anywhere, but I'm hoping hurricanes are a thing of the past for us. Hurricane Frances (same summer) wasn't quite as severe as Charlie, but lasted for 36 hours!

I think allforcats was right. Those certainly look like black bears in your pics. Good thing you weren't as close as it appeared! Your trip pics are really wonderful. I loved the beach shots! Gorgeous. I have some good pics from Rialto Beach and Ruby Beach, which are nearby. The seastacks are so awesome!

Lynn

Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 AM

Default Moss "nickname"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
... the moss growing on everything all over the forest. EVERYWHERE!!!
The moss in the Oly Pen rainforest looks to me the same as the moss that grows everywhere in the rainforest part of the Tongass National Forest, around Ketchikan. There the moss is called, familiarly, "Old Man's Beard". Does anyone know if the moss has a "nickname" here on the Oly Pen?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 PM

OK, a few more photos :

Another waterfall in the Quinault rainforest:

Sea stacks in La Push:

And two photos of flowers in the rainforest:

Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 PM

Oooooooo, is so prettttty!!!!
And actually, I know where you were in the Quinault, because of that second waterfall pic! I remember that little water sprite place! Yippee!! Thank you.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 PM

110 posts, read 341,953 times
Default Black bear

[quote=allforcats;3818927]Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! uhhhhhhhh except for the first guy who looks like a Black Bear. Unlike Brown Bears, Black Bears chew humans just for the hell of it. Since he obviously knew you were there, tis a good thing indeed he wasn't hungry.......

Black bear do not chew humans just for the hell of it. In fact, they very rarely attack humans. During the entire last century in all of North America, which, of course, includes Mexico, US, Canada, black bear killed something like 39 people. There are literally millions of black bear in North America, lots of human/black bear encounters, and way more than 39 incredibly stupid people. Black bear are almost entirely vegetarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington