Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:57 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times

Advertisements

I have a thought. If you REALLY want to see the seastack birds, here's an idea.

Almost all the beaches (except Kalaloch) are on Native American tribal lands (much of which are also in the federal Oly Ntnl Park).
There are tourist locations at the beaches, which include cabins, motels, condos if I remember correctly, restaurants, gas pumps, a tiny grocery store or two.... These are barely villages, small spots of minimal development.

Given your time frame, you might want to trade Gray's Harbor for seastacks. A couple of options spring to mind:

At Kalaloch there's both a lodge (not greatly expensive) and cottages. Last summer I parked near some of the cottages, and mistakenly walked onto someone's lawn and saw the location and view -- both breathtaking. This link is for both the lodge and the cabins; this time of year there should be no problem finding room.
Kalaloch Lodge | Olympic National Park | National Park Reservations

Links for places to stay at LaPush:
la push cabins - Google Search

Links for Ruby Beach:
ruby beach cabins - Google Search

Links for Rialto Beach:
rialto beach cabins - Google Search

Kalaloch doesn't have seastacks, but has the most modern, comfortable accommodations. You'd have to drive north on 101, then at Forks west on 110 to get to LaPush, Ruby Beach, and seastacks. (It's called Ruby because in the sand are tiny bits of garnets :-)
The other locations have quite usable and acceptable accommodations, and are close to the seastacks.

Just a thought ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Reservations:
In Seattle, that's not a good idea. And this week the Dalai Lama is in town, and so are nationwide organizations to participate in the events. Who knows who will be here early in May? There's always something going on, and new hotels are being built all the time so they must be well-occupied. I'd certainly rather know I have a place to shower and sleep, than have to roam around in the dark in a place I don't know... But like you I like to plan :-)

Non-smoking room:
As a former smoker also, I understand this. The reason the NON-smoking price is higher, for the moment, is because the hotels went thru hell to fumigate the rooms, including the walls and ceilings and all non-fabric items, and often had to change the carpet, drapes, and of course all other fabric items including the mattress and springs. Costs them.
I would not now stay in a smoking room unless you paid me bigtime; they really do smell somewhat stale and smoky.

Close to SeaTac:
Given the current TSA security requirements, if your flight is scheduled to leave at 10AM you will have to be at the airport at at least 8AM. I would not stay far from the airport, since BEFORE 8AM you will have to turn in your car.

Last edited by allforcats; 04-14-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Seastacks, at Ruby Beach and Rialto Beach:
Attached Thumbnails
Vacation cottage/cabin in Olympic peninsula? (plus birding sites)-ruby-beach13a.jpg   Vacation cottage/cabin in Olympic peninsula? (plus birding sites)-seastacks.jpg  

Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,131 times
Another thought about staying near the seastacks...about 5 years ago, we stayed at the Manitou Lodge Bed & Breakfast which is just a few miles from beautiful Rialto beach. Just Google it. It was a woodsy, warm and inviting B&B in a beautiful wooded area. We loved it! The owners are very knowledgeable about the area and the wildlife there. Soon after checking in and getting directions from our host, we headed over to the beach for the sunset. We had a picnic of cheese, fruit & wine on one of the huge bleached white logs and were in awe of this gorgeous natural beach. The sunset behind those silhouetted seastacks was such an incredible image--and it was nearly 10pm before dusk arrived! By then it was quite chilly on the beach, so we headed back to the Manitou Lodge and its cozy fireplace. While driving back on a narrow road through the woods, a very large antlered elk bounded across the road right in front of us! Wow, I had no idea they were so big! It was a great reminder that we were the visitors here, and this was his home turf.

Lynn

Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,335 times
I'm on information overload here!! Maybe we should birdwatch during the morning in Sequim and then head over to the coast and stay near the seastacks for the first night out of Seattle. It would make for a long day (too long????), but what we reallly want to see most are things we just can't see here in Maryland. We have no rainforests here and we have no seastacks. No ancient murrelets and no horned puffins. So now I'm rethinking that first day out of Seattle and maybe staying at Manitou Lodge or one of the places I might find through AFC's links. By the way, LMB and AFC, Manitou Lodge is now for sale (according to their website.) Either of you want to buy it??

Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I'm on information overload here!!
Yeah.... last year I planned a 7-week journey through Busch Gardens, SeaWorld and Peru. Spent five months planning, researching, learning.... I get what you're saying!

Quote:
Manitou Lodge is now for sale (according to their website.) Either of you want to buy it??
Well I'm up for that! Why don't we all pool our pennies?? Hahahahaha!!

Quote:
what we reallly want to see most are things we just can't see here in Maryland. We have no rainforests here and we have no seastacks. No ancient murrelets and no horned puffins.
Okay, then if I were in your ballet slippers, I'd aim for what's possible:
SAT:
-- Ferry from Seattle to, evenutally, Sequim.
-- Waterfowl at Dungess Spit/Bay/Harbor, which might serendipitously include strange and wondrous endangered birdies. You know there are a zillion waterfowl there; if you zip past them on your way to the coast, you might not forgive yourself...
-- Alaskan crab for lunch, in Sequim (Dungeness crab is sweetest).
-- Short or medium ride into the Olympic National Park from entrance just east of Port Angeles, along the Hurricane Ridge road, to tempt Elkies to come to you, along with birdies.
-- Seafood dinner, preferably salmon and shellfish/crustaceans. Crabbing out is allowed.
-- Get gas. Sleep in Sequim.
SUN:
-- Morning drive west to Lake Crescent.
-- South on 101 to Forks. Get gas.
-- West on 110 on Quileute Indian Reservation to LaPush/Rialto Beach/First Beach. BEST SEASTACKS on WA coast. A few small places for lunch. You can also park and take a short hike south to Second Beach, even maybe Third Beach.
-- Sleep at Rain Forest Village or Manitou Lodge.
MON:
-- Spend day in rain forest -- renew entire spirit. Also follow inkeepers' recommendations for birdies and Elk.
-- Sleep at Rain Forest Village.
TUE:
-- Pick up any rain forest or seastack action desired. Get gas in Forks. Back north & east on 101 to ferry, to SeaTac.

Just a thought...

Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,335 times
I'm liking that schedule -- thanks! There are so many options and way too little time. That way, I don't have to change any reservations. On this end, I'm preparing the girls to stay at my co-worker/friend's house and making dog and kitty arrangements. I think when I update my resume, I'll have to add vacation planning to the list of my accomplishments (I will credit you and LMB, though!)

I'm thinking that we might want to pool our nickels, dimes and quarters in order to buy that bed & breakfast!

Busch Gardens, Sea World and Peru?? I can see Busch Gardens and Sea World being on a single trip easily, but how did Peru fit in??

Old 04-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I'm liking that schedule -- thanks! There are so many options and way too little time. That way, I don't have to change any reservations.

Busch Gardens, Sea World and Peru?? I can see Busch Gardens and Sea World being on a single trip easily, but how did Peru fit in??
GOOD!!! Yes, I agree, makes life just a bit simpler -- and as LMB keeps saying YOU BOTH ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!!! You will see wondrous beings, including some of the oldest trees on earth......

I planned a 6-week spiritual journey to Peru. Saw Travel Ch's two 1-hour programs, back to back, on Busch Gardens and SeaWorld, mumbling how wouldn't that be fabulous but who in heck wants to go to Florida of all horrible climates! Oh - waitaminute - I HAVE to go to Florida to go to Peru (Miami). OH!!!!!!!!!!! HOT BLOODY DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! So I spent almost a week in Orlando and Tampa, wandering in a sort of timeless ecstacy amongst the Lorikeets, ducks I've never heard of, and endless other birds in Busch, and the polar bears, whales, dolphins, parrots and Penguins in SeaWorld. Little tiny 14-inch-high screaming-bright SCARLET Ibises who owned the walkways!!!!!! Lilac Macaws, unoving, staring intently at me!!!!! Snow-white Peacocks -- who KNEW????? - they looked like s l o w l y walking bridal veils..... Two days in a row I petted a relaxed Magellanic Penguin girl named Fred and wept in unspeakable joy each time. That week in the desperate, inhuman weather of southern Florida, was one of the most magical, mystical, marvelous moments of my life....... yesssssss

Last edited by allforcats; 04-14-2008 at 11:35 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 AM
LMB

Quote:
By the way, LMB and AFC, Manitou Lodge is now for sale (according to their website.) Either of you want to buy it??
Manitou Lodge is for sale??? Oh, don't tempt me! Ah, I could sit on that porch swing for hours listening to bird songs and rustling firs.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:26 AM
LMB

AFC, when you were at SeaWorld, you were only about a mile from our home in Orlando, and I worked across the street from SW too--as a matter of fact, my office overlooked the dolphin training tank. We could hear the seals barking nearly every evening at home. There were several instances of animal and bird escapees who would end up becoming entertainment for our office. I don't miss much about central FL, but SeaWorld is definitely on that short list.

Lynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington