Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,052,696 times

Advertisements

Lynn, how wonderful! Yes, I remember that dolphin training pool. I got splashed by several dollys whilst watching them. I absolutely adored SeaWorld... Cried all the way through the Shamu show, cried all the way through the dolphin show... I guess I'm a sucker for amazement :-) I bought a behind-the-scenes ticket for the Orcas, and one named Tillamook and I made eye contact for several seconds about ten feet apart out of the pool... One of the trainer-MCs at that event told us a lady Orca had had a baby just two weeks before, and was indicating she wanted to go back on stage, as it were, so she might appear briefly in the Shamu show. Dang -- she did appear, with gidget flying out of the water right beside her. Tiny 200-lb baby!!! :-) Glorious, glorious....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,969,443 times
I went to Sea World for the first time ever last November while we were in San Diego!!!!!!! LOVED it!!!!!!! The Shamu show also made me cry all the way through, something I was NOT expecting. The girls were enthralled with everything. Totally worth the money!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:00 PM

Our plans have changed a little bit. Today when I was dropping off my daughter at preschool, her teacher said, "You will be here for the Mother's Day picnic, won't you? Everyday from now until that day, we will be preparing for it." I had NO clue there was a picnic. And of course, it's on the day I'm leaving for Seattle. So a quick review of Southwest's schedule showed me that there's a flight that leaves baltimore at 6:30 PM and gets in at 10:30PM. I absolutely cannot have my child be without a mom at the Mother's day picnic, so I changed my reservations.

Since I won't be to Seattle until late, obviously, we can't do anything that night (my body clock will think it's 1:30 AM when we land and this aging body can't party all night like I used to .) We're thinking of doing a little of Seattle on Saturday morning early, like Pike Place market. Anybody know what time it opens? I tried to find it on their website and couldn't. I see that there's a tour at 9:30. Any thoughts whether that would be a worthwhile activity? We'll have to check out of 6th street Inn with our rental car. I'm sure parking down by the market is horrible. Am I correct?

While I'm sad I won't be there early like I had planned, my flight is direct (no changing planes, though we do make one stop) so less time on travel. And I wouldn't miss this Mother's Day picnic for the world.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Ain't Mommying fun!!!

Well howdy there!! Ahhhh school....

Lessee... My thoughts about Pike Place Market are these: if you've never in your life seen a farmer's market, then go because it's one of the nation's best. It's bustling fun.
But if you've seen a farmer's market where they sell veggies, fruits, seafoods, flowers, t-shirts, hand-made costume jewelry, and touristy chatchka at open stalls, then you might want to pass.

The vendors start setting up at at least 6AM, and many are open for business by 8:00. Parking isn't easy after 10AM so the earlier you get there, the easier it will be to find parking.

If you want to "do something Seattle" and don't need the Market, why not go up in the Space Needle? That is really so much fun! The observation deck, therefore the elevator to it, open at 9AM.

Sounds like a great flight change you made!! And I know your daughter will be thrilled that you're with her at the picnic! In fact, I know you will be too

Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 PM

We're back from our wonderful Seattle/Olympic Peninsula trip and I have to say that I LOVE Washington!!!! Despite leaving a very ill daughter with a friend (she got sick with foot and mouth disease the day before we left) and having a crown pop off a back molar before I even boarded the plane in Baltimore, we had a truly magnificent time!

I arrived late at night at Sea-Tac and hubby was there to meet me with temporary dental cement in hand (a panicked phone call from me sent him to find me a dental solution to my painful problem -- not a root-canalled tooth, so the nerves are still very much alive.) The next morning we had a delicious crumpet breakfast and mocha (before this trip I was a non-coffee drinker, but I've changed my mind, as long as there's LOTS of chocolate and whipped cream.) And we spent a little bit of time at Pike Place Market as they were setting up. Though I've been to farmer's markets, this one surpassed them all. We then checked out of our hotel (6th Street Inn -- adequate, but certainly not the Hilton) and headed to the ferry. We were the second to last car to make it onto the ferry (great timing since we hate to wait.) Had yummy lunch in Poulsbo then on to Sequim. We had great luck birdwatching at the railroad park right on the river. In fact, truly superb birding there. We spent so long birding that we almost were too late for dinner at any restaurant in Sequim, but we found a little diner that served this incredible chocolate cobbler.

Next day we had Mother's Day breakfast (without my girls) at Oak Table Inn. Another great meal. Then headed west to Clallam Bay and Sekiu. We then headed south to La Push and saw LOTS of eagles, some cute guillemots, and lots of other birds. And took a hike down to Second Beach down about a zillion steps. Gorgeous and strenuous walk (especially UP those steps!) Didn't see too many birds, but the scenery was truly awe-inspiring. This nearly 50-year old clambered over logs (ok, it was more of a slow crawl) and surprised myself with my stamina up those steps. We made it to Lake Quinault by about 7 pm and had a great dinner lake-side and collapsed in our little room right by the lake.

The next morning in the process of looking at the largest Sitka spruce, we heard birds behind us and discovered a wonderfully birdy trail next to a little creek. We spent at least 2 hours there by the creek with binoculars in hand. Then we headed to the nature trail. While we didn't see many birds there, I don't think I've ever experienced such a mystically primeval and peaceful spot in my life. So incredible. We were stunned by the beauty and by the devastation that last December's storm wreaked on the forest. HUGE trees just blown over. I cannot imagine how bad that storm must have been.

After that walk, we wondered how it could get better, but it did. We got a picnic lunch at a local restaurant and headed to the north side of the lake to start a drive around the lake. We took a little detour to hike up to the largest cedar (red or white -- can't remember which) tree in the world. Another incredible walk, this time on a less developed trail. Then we slowly started our drive through the rain forest. We eventually came to a grassy meadow where we stopped to look at some birds. We got out of the car to walk around a little bit and hubby said he wanted to walk in the meadow closer to the edge of the forest. I was a little hesitant becuase I thought for sure there must be bears somewhere near here. But then again, nobody had said a thing about bears, so I decided I was being ridiculous. So we walked over the meadow dodging elk poop and piles of something else that I knew was dung, but I had no idea what left it. I started getting more worried and suggested to hubby that perhaps we should continue our drive. Right before we got into our car, another car came along and stopped to talk to us. They said, "Did you see that bear over there??" Right on the other side of the trees in the middle of the meadow was a very cute and very large black bear. This bear was right where we had been heading. We took TONS of photos of the guy eating, watching us (we got back in the car, by the way,) lying down, scratching himself, leaving a pile of "stuff" in the meadow, etc. Truly amazing. I think what made it even more amazing than normal was that we were not expecting to see any bears. We DID expect eagles, other birds, maybe elk, but not bear. What a treat! We stopped on the bridge overlooking the Quinault River to eat our lunch, then headed back down the south side road. A lot of the road leading further upriver was closed due to the storm. We got back at dinnertime and had an inexpensive dinner at the Mercantile on the south side, then decided we had to go look for the bear again. This time we were treated to a bunch of elk and THREE bears, two adults and an adolescent. Just amazing!

Yesterday, we woke to pouring rain and headed south to the coast and down to Ocean Shores. We were hoping the rain would let up, but it didn't. We headed then to Gray's Harbor National Wildlife Refuge in Hoquiam and decided just to deal with the rain. We started out on the boardwalk and while most of the shorebirds were either hunkered down or just not there, the warblers were out in force. We walked the entire boardwalk and saw several new birds that we hadn't seen on the trip up to that point. and several eagles, plus ducks and a few flocks of unidentified shorebirds. We were soaking wet by the time we left, but happy we had stopped. We had dinner at a Thai restuarant in Olympia (WOW -- what a beautiful capitol!) and thoroughly enjoyed our Panang curry, then headed back to our airport hotel. We took the rental car back to Dollar this morning with the gas light on (we opted for bringing the car back as empty as possible and having them fill up the tank at $3.20 a gallon -- wise choice since the gas prices went way up during our time there.)

All in all, a wonderful trip to the Olympic Peninsula!!! Thanks to all who offered their advice on where to go, where to stay and what to do!!! Your suggestions were invaluable . Now I'm on to planning our 2009 Alaska trip with a side trip to the Pribilof Islands!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Neato!!!

"I don't think I've ever experienced such a mystically primeval and peaceful spot in my life. So incredible."
Yes.... that's about the jist, I think, of what poster LMB and I warned you about. Transcendence....

I did tell you there are bears there, but that was a long time ago by now -- and I'm SO glad you saw bears and elk and eagles!! (And got out alive... hahahaha!!!)

So -- transcendence and guillemots aren't enough, eh? You gotta go to the Pribilofs??? Not the world's kindest weather, as you know if you watch "Deadliest Catch". I wish you windy joy!! And I am so glad we were able to help you plan such a happy time in WA. Welcome to coffee!! Hahahaha!!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 PM

Now that I think about it, I guess you did mention bears. I guess I just didn't think they'd be that viewable and that close! And soooooo many eagles! They're hard to come by around here, but there (at La Push) we had FIVE in our sights, one less than 25 feet away.

Well, when we're in Alaska next year, it's either Attu or the Pribilofs, both windy, cold and rainy/snowy and both FULL of rare birds. We figure it's a once in a lifetime trip (at least going to the Aleutians or the Pribilofs would be.) And our friends who moved to Eagle River, AK told us they'd love to have the kids stay with them [we have such wonderful friends!] so that we could take a few days and bird watch to our hearts' contents. We decided while we were in WA that we will forego the cruise/AK ferry next year in favor of birding for a few days on our own (sans kidlets) and then touring around Anchorage, Denali, Kenai Peninsula, etc with our friends and kids. Perhaps in a few years we'll do the cruise/AK ferry thing with our friends.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 PM

42 posts, read 144,777 times
Default About Lake Crescent...

I noticed a number of messages regarding Lake Crescent and thought I'd pass this link along...

It's about a seventy some year old mystery that happened at the lake. Every time I drive around that beautiful lake I think of this story and it makes me think about what it was like in those days.

Car in lake may solve 72-year-old mystery (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/66547_car15.shtml - broken link)

Old 05-16-2008, 12:10 AM

Golly, Counting Down, thanks so much for that link! I vaguely remember hearing about that car on the local news. Didn't remember it, though, when I drove past that spot last summer. Thanks so much!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM

42 posts, read 144,777 times
No problem allfor!
It is a great story... you really have to feel for the kids who thought they were abandoned. Seems like the first time I read about it there was a bit more detail; must have been a different article, but it is cool story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington