U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2010, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,073 times

Advertisements

I live in Washington but work in Oregon. My wife works in Vancouver.

We completely MAX OUT my 403b and 401a accounts where I work. We also fund the Health Care and Child Care Flex spending accounts where I work in Oregon (my wife has all the same opportunities at her Washington job and we still put some into her 403b as well) and we also fund our Roth IRA's too.

The Result? My taxable salary is next to nothing. I net (take home) about $70 per pay check. We then use my wifes $50K salary to live on for expenses etc. so we don't pay hardly any Oregon income tax on my $40K per year salary (only about $100 per year in OR tax), and of course we pay no state tax on her salary either since WA has no state income tax.

Do we buy all of our non-food items in Oregon where there is no sales tax? I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me. But you get the picture.

Hope this info helps someone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,883 times
So what I've read is: If you live in WA, but work in Oregon, all income earned in OR is taxable. Now, I've also read that if you work from your home office and only go to OR, say one day per week, you only have to pay taxes on the income earned while working that one day in OR.

So what about people on business trips who come to OR for 5 days for a conference. Are they required to pay income tax to OR for the 5 days they were in OR working?

I'm trying to understand this as most states have rules around how many days of work in that state qualifies you for their income tax. My example is NYC and New Jersey. If you work less than half the year in NYC, then you don't pay NY income taxes.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,117 times
you can deduct the days you work in any state other than oregon.

It’s on page 14 of this form.
[url]http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PERTAX/docs/2010Forms/101-045-10.pdf[/url]

I found that form on this site, under Form 40N Nonresident Form, instructions
Department of Revenue: Personal Income Tax Personal Income Tax Forms & Instructions (http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PERTAX/formspit.shtml#2010_Tax_Year___Current_Year - broken link)

Old 04-15-2011, 04:48 PM

3,238 posts, read 2,028,835 times
Be glad that Washington does not have state sales tax. I have several friends that work in one state but live in another, and pay BOTH state income taxes. Some states, like in the Northeast U.S. have reciprocity where you pay only state tax on the state you LIVE (NY/NJ/CONN).

That is the whole point of state income tax, to pay for services to RESIDENTS of that state, it's absurd that you have to pay income tax on a state you dont live in...

Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM

5,602 posts, read 6,581,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Be glad that Washington does not have state sales tax.
Wa *does* have state sales tax.

Quote:
That is the whole point of state income tax, to pay for services to RESIDENTS of that state, it's absurd that you have to pay income tax on a state you dont live in...
There really only one solution for that... work in a state that doesn't have income tax. You will always have people who try to skirt around that. Its the state's prerogative to make sure they get their money.

Vancouver's been a boomtown simply because it has better schools , and its more affordable: if one works in OR, they actually pay less income taxes than an OR resident.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 PM

3,238 posts, read 2,028,835 times
I meant state income tax

Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM

271 posts, read 780,727 times
Quote:
If you physically work in OR, then you still are using their services such as police/fire and roads.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,632 times
I am a Washington Resident that has an office in Oregon, but also work from home quite a bit.

I have a question about 101-045-10. On page 13 of this for under section 8s, it states that "fill in the amount earned while working in Oregon. If that amount differs from the Oregon wages on your w-2 form, you must include an explanation from your employer with your return and include a statement explaining your calculations..."

Does anyone know what sort of explination is needed? Is there some sort of form required, or just a letter from my employer stating that I work from home?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssmith22 View Post
you can deduct the days you work in any state other than oregon.

Itís on page 14 of this form.
http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PERTAX/doc...101-045-10.pdf

I found that form on this site, under Form 40N Nonresident Form, instructions
Department of Revenue: Personal Income Tax Personal Income Tax Forms & Instructions (http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PERTAX/formspit.shtml#2010_Tax_Year___Current_Year - broken link)

Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,314,846 times
Y'all should really be talking to an Accountant who specializes in taxes for the two states.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,500 times
Default Washington Residents Receiving PERS benefits

Be sure to complete FORM W-4P to stop withholding of Oregon State Tax from your PERS retirement. If they have already withheld Oregon taxes, you'll need to request a refund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington