Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 38,145 times

Advertisements

Simple as the subject... can it be done? I've heard both ways, but never seen any proof to either side. I live in Vancouver, work in PDX, and get raped by Oregon Taxes. Is there something extra I can do at filing time to get those Oregon taxes back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 03:55 PM

291 posts, read 703,136 times
To get them all back, no. What you do in Oregon (earn income) is subject to Oregon law (state income tax).

However, the most underutilized way of minimizing both state and federal income taxes is to contribute the maximum allowed into your 401k retirement savings account. These contributions are deductable from your income, its earning are tax deferred, and when you withdraw it as a Washington resident, it will not be subject to Oregon income tax.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 PM

291 posts, read 703,136 times
Postscript: Oregon taxes nonresidents only on income from Oregon sources for services performed in Oregon.

If you have a home office outside of Oregon, or are sent out of Oregon on work (e.g. as a sales representative, or to out-of-state meetings), the pay you received for working outside of Oregon is not subject to Oregon income tax. Add up the total number of days, and use it in the calculation of your "Oregon income" reported on form 40N line 8. Note that vacation, holiday and sick pay cannot be counted.

See the formula in Oregon Individual Income Tax Guide, Publication 17 1/2, "Wages, Salaries and other pay for work" on page 43.
http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PERTAX/doc...101-431-05.pdf

This can help a lot. For example, I had a friend who was regional sales representative for a company in Portland, and lived in Vancouver. He was in the office in Oregon only 1 day every week or two, and had to pay Oregon income tax for that day's pay. The rest of the time, he was on the road or working out of his home office, and wasn't paying Oregon income tax.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 AM

8 posts, read 89,418 times
Will I have to pay Oregon income taxes if I work at the VA in Vancouver (which is a part of Portland VA hospital system) and also live in Vancouver?
Any help wil be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 AM

3,894 posts, read 5,120,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillaby View Post
Simple as the subject... can it be done? I've heard both ways, but never seen any proof to either side. I live in Vancouver, work in PDX, and get raped by Oregon Taxes. Is there something extra I can do at filing time to get those Oregon taxes back?
You'll be lucky to get 10% back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk123usa
Will I have to pay Oregon income taxes if I work at the VA in Vancouver (which is a part of Portland VA hospital system) and also live in Vancouver?
No. The only time you pay Oregon tax is when you physically work in Oregon.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 PM

8 posts, read 89,418 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
You'll be lucky to get 10% back.

No. The only time you pay Oregon tax is when you physically work in Oregon.
Thanks for your reply!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 35,017 times
I live in Oregon, but work in Vancouver, WA. This has been a recent change as of this past January. I realize WA. does not have any state tax, but I also noticed my company is not deducting Oregon tax from my checks either. I thought I was still required to pay Oregon tax as a resident even if my work is out of state. Question is: Should the company I work for in WA. automatically be deducting Oregon State tax from my paychecks? If not, will I owe Oregon tax at the end of every year?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 AM

478 posts, read 2,296,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akashanrg View Post
I live in Oregon, but work in Vancouver, WA. This has been a recent change as of this past January. I realize WA. does not have any state tax, but I also noticed my company is not deducting Oregon tax from my checks either. I thought I was still required to pay Oregon tax as a resident even if my work is out of state. Question is: Should the company I work for in WA. automatically be deducting Oregon State tax from my paychecks? If not, will I owe Oregon tax at the end of every year?
From here: Department of Revenue: Personal Income Tax Assistance and Common Questions

I am moving into Oregon. What income will be taxed by Oregon?

As an Oregon resident, you are taxed on ALL income regardless of the source of the income. This includes, but is not limited to:

1. Wages;
2. Interest and dividends;
3. Retirement income, even if earned prior to moving to Oregon;
4. Rental income;
5. Partnership and S-Corporation income;
6. Business income;
7. Unemployment benefits.

You may need to pay estimated taxes if you don't have Oregon withholding on your income.

So, by virtue of you being an Oregon resident, you will have to pay Oregon taxes on your income. Your employer is not required to withhold these taxes, as they are based in Washington. However, you can go to your employer and reconfigure your withholding to anticipate the eventual tax bill.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 34,089 times
My entire working life has been as an Oregon State employee. We are thinking of moving to Washington state to retire. As a Washington resident, would I be paying income tax on my Oregon PERS?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:34 AM

478 posts, read 2,296,839 times
Washington state has no income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington