Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:35 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times

Advertisements

ndcairngorm I hear you, looks like Whatcom County regained favorability with the snow gods. We've got about a foot, more in drifts, and it's still below freezing and coming down. Looking forward to wrapping up work for the day and putting snowshoes on to explore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
It started raining very late last night and while the main roads are now plowed, I have no idea what the secondary roads are like and I don't think I'll find out. We still have lots of snow, though. I'm beginning to think it's just a sponge for the rain. And I can't find out anything about what happens later today or at the end of the week. I keep reading more snow - more rain - more snow - more rain...

Old 02-12-2019, 04:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
This “snowmagedden” thing seems to be covering a large area on the west coast.
It has even hit the Bay Area.
Mt. Diablo CA is where we live (about 35 miles east of San Francisco)and while it is not still totally covered We’ve had a snow view from our house for over a week.
It normally only lasts a day or two.
There was even a plane crash on the mountain during the snow storm just up the road from our house.
Just odd.
My oldest kid wants to move to one the buildings on our Sequim property and she has not been there yet.
She’s been to the area about a dozen times but not to to the property.
I’m thinking “nice” she will see it at its coldest most miserable time.
I’m trying to get a load of firewood delivered Thursday.
Hope that pans out.
We’ll be there Thursday morning.
Andy.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Our first snow on Friday/Saturday was 20 inches and on Tuesday we got almost three inches more and today it is again coming down ....Sequim

Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Our first snow on Friday/Saturday was 20 inches and on Tuesday we got almost three inches more and today it is again coming down ....Sequim
You're lucky. All we have here is rain. But in a couple minutes I'm going to go up and see what it's like on my lot. The road up the hill is where I'll really see what's going on. It's a half mile of switchbacks and it could be fine or it could be impassable.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
How are the secondary roads up toward Port Ludlow and Port Townsend? We are trying to plan a trip up there on Friday/Saturday.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:06 PM

I hope they're better than mine. I'd take chains just in case.

I tried to get up to my lot yesterday. The main roads were all clear. North Shore Rd going down the Tahuya penisula was mostly clear except where the plows went around the trees that came down, making it a one lane road in a lot of places. But Canyon Rd cutting up to the top, where I have my lot, was still filled with slush and snow.

I tried anyway. I had to back down the first part twice because of traffic coming down and I should have known what conditions were when the trucks came down with chains on them. But I still made a valiant effort.

I got to the second from the top switchback and ran into deep snow and slush I couldn't go through (tried twice) and then backed down half a mile of twisty roads. Obviously I needed cables and/or chains as well. I would have had those, but I heard the road association had plows and rock salt. Could've fooled me.

I'd go back and attempt that hill with cables, but since everything froze last night and we're supposed to get a combo of rain and snow today (and maybe tomorrow) and knowing if I live up there I'll see at least one more storm like this one, I think I'll pass. Problem is, my water was supposed to be in in March sometime. Somehow I think April is looking more realistic. LOL

Old 02-14-2019, 05:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
We just drove into unincorporated Sequim early this afternoon from SeaTac.
All roads were clear and a good foot of snow past the drifts and plow piles past hood canal bridge.
A couple of our friends were waiting for us and we’re nice enough to shovel away the plow pile in front of our driveway.
We rented a 4 wheel drive and had to do several laps to pack down a solid foot of snow on our very long driveway.
We had a furniture delivery today and the driver wouldn’t go down the driveway.
It’s over a hundred yards.
Darn it!
All the snow shovels are sold out in Sequim and I’m needing to shovel snow.
It’s over a foot deep from where we park to the front door and about 20-30 feet with 2 hidden steps.
That said... I’m still loving it.
Andy.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:16 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
l shoveled the snow out of my driveway on our private street in Sequim and bang here comes a city snowplow and filled in my driveway...not once but three times on the same day. My jaw dropped as I stood there with my snow shovel in hand. Never in the nearly 20 years living in Sequim have I seen a snowplow on our street even after calling city hall and requesting some relief from the nearly two feet of snow and being trapped by deep street snow... and being told the city won't plow on private streets in the city...Rarely even a police vehicle and never a street sweeper.

My faith in city government has been restored. Now I can head out for a beer or two and visit my friend at the Elks.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:35 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Takes me back to when we lived in the Northeast and also in the Chicago area - just as soon as you got your driveway carefully shoveled, the snowplow came by and plowed you all in again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington