U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 AM

3,097 posts, read 1,709,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Just as I was reading your post, Taz, we were exiting the freeway in Centralia and turning left to go under the overpass. The coincidence of that is amusing! :-). We are headed tonight to my husband’s orchestra concert at Centralia College.

As for going downhill… I don’t see that way. We drove down that main drag a bit until it was time to turn and go to the college. Centralia is an older city… and a middle class one for sure… built by and for loggers in flannel. Many of the little houses were probably built in the 20s, Some before! Many still have the old carriage house in the back. It has some grittiness that comes with age. Some of these old places are better kept than others. But it’s growing and people want to live here. The whole area is. Lots of good people are finding a home here in centralia who can’t afford Olympia anymore.

Anyway almost time to go in for the concert. I just thought the coincidence was amusing And couldn’t help but chime in
All of Centralia is not bad, although it has it’s share of bad areas. I think it depends on your prospective, you were raised here and things look different to you, compared to a person who moved from another state and sees things entirely differently. Anyway, Roadsnacks agrees that the area is not so good and they named Centralia the worst place to live in Washington for 2019. I would personally choose Chehalis over Centralia for being the worst place to live. I recently had a conversation with a girl at Starbucks and she said Fife is a good place to hike and walk your dogs. Well, I was thinking about checking it out, but this article says that Fife has the second highest crime rate in Washington. Maybe I’ll catch Fife later.

Hope the concert went well.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-pla...in-washington/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 AM

12,215 posts, read 8,948,555 times
The concert did go well. It's a wonderful little community orchestra.

It definitely depends on perspective. I'm here for the long haul, and I'm an optimist.

People tend to find exactly what they're looking for.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 AM

456 posts, read 556,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
but this article says that Fife has the second highest crime rate in Washington. Maybe I’ll catch Fife later.
I work in Fife, can confirm it's nasty. The Motel 6 across from my work had a shootout not too long ago. Fife Heights, Milton and Edgewood are nice areas though.

Last night I was working out on my treadmill at home and saw a sketchy looking dude walking up and down my street. I live in a nice area of town, but it borders the old brewery tunnels which serve as a camp for junkies who are homeless. Obviously strung out on drugs, he was casing the cars up and down the block. I stop and walk out the driveway to watch him. As does my neighbor and our other neighbors, and our other neighbors. Guy has a rock in his hand, looking to break the glass of any car and steal what little he can for his next fix. We call OPD, but he walks off past the Capitol Way bridge back to the old brewery tunnels before they can catch up to him.

This happens ALL THE TIME. People walking through our neighborhood who will steal your s*** if you don't bolt it down. Junkies, tweakers, bums, transient sex offenders, etc.

It's June. It's Procession of the Junkies as they migrate to Oly. Happens every single year, like clockwork, since 2006 or so.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The concert did go well. It's a wonderful little community orchestra.

It definitely depends on perspective. I'm here for the long haul, and I'm an optimist.

People tend to find exactly what they're looking for.
I totally agree that people find what they are looking for. I moved here to have land for the horses and to enjoy clean air. Telecommuting opens up most any area. Well, I hit the jackpot. The horses have never looked better, they are sleek and muscular, my 33 year old mare runs around like she’s 10. I haven’t used an inhaler in a couple of years, and can finally enjoy summer. Now, I just need to add in city amenities, better phone reception, no close trash dumpers, and I’ll be cruzin.

Glad to see people doing concerts instead of drugs. That’s a nice small town thing.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
I work in Fife, can confirm it's nasty. The Motel 6 across from my work had a shootout not too long ago. Fife Heights, Milton and Edgewood are nice areas though.

Last night I was working out on my treadmill at home and saw a sketchy looking dude walking up and down my street. I live in a nice area of town, but it borders the old brewery tunnels which serve as a camp for junkies who are homeless. Obviously strung out on drugs, he was casing the cars up and down the block. I stop and walk out the driveway to watch him. As does my neighbor and our other neighbors, and our other neighbors. Guy has a rock in his hand, looking to break the glass of any car and steal what little he can for his next fix. We call OPD, but he walks off past the Capitol Way bridge back to the old brewery tunnels before they can catch up to him.

This happens ALL THE TIME. People walking through our neighborhood who will steal your s*** if you don't bolt it down. Junkies, tweakers, bums, transient sex offenders, etc.

It's June. It's Procession of the Junkies as they migrate to Oly. Happens every single year, like clockwork, since 2006 or so.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I’ve been looking for places to hike and after getting a recommendation for Fife, was going to check it out. Now it’s a pass. Amazing you and your neighbors have the patience to put up with tweakers and druggies like that.

Not surprised they are headed to Oly, that town is skeevy and run down, I don’t like going there.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Taz, you live near some really great local hikes....

Check out Mima Mounds or Nisqually Wildlife Refuge for easy ones... Capital Forest for more challenging ones. You could even ride up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Olympia, Good or Bad to Live?-2006-06-19_437.jpg  

Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Taz, you live near some really great local hikes....

Check out Mima Mounds or Nisqually Wildlife Refuge for easy ones... Capital Forest for more challenging ones. You could even ride up there.
You’re the second person to recommend Capital Forest. The farrier was over last week and he recommended the same place to go riding. Thanks for the info on the hiking trails, I’ll look them up.

That’s a beautiful picture.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Capital forest is a terrific resource for us, locally. That picture is one of thousands I have.

The forest is split in half. Hikers, bicycles and horses are allowed on half the trails, and the other half allows motorcycles and ATVs. So it's important to get familiar with the maps. Margaret McKinney Trailhead would be a good first trail for you, walking or riding, on the horse side. Look for the green trails, that's the horse side:

Capitol Forest Washington

Closer to you, is the forest up beyond the State Wildlife areas on Case Road. Our property actually borders that property on the other side.

https://www.trailmeister.com/trails/...wildlife-area/

Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM

456 posts, read 556,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I’ve been looking for places to hike and after getting a recommendation for Fife, was going to check it out. Now it’s a pass. Amazing you and your neighbors have the patience to put up with tweakers and druggies like that.

Not surprised they are headed to Oly, that town is skeevy and run down, I don’t like going there.
Taz,
I'm sorry if I come across as super brash. I'm just upset with what's happened in this town over the last 15 years.

Back in 2002 when we bought our home, we never thought of locking our house and cars all the time, we didn't have to. We didn't have swaths of degenerates roaming the neighborhood, looking for stuff to steal, so that they could continue their downward spiral into oblivion. June is always the influx of tweaker trash descending upon Olympia.

I worked in downtown from 2002-2011. Back in the day, you'd have the occasional mental person shouting at the sky, but relatively harmless. You'd have the shaky Vietnam vet alcoholics sleeping under an overhang (but usually gone at daylight). But 2006 changed everything. Cheap heroin from Mexico making it's way up through the I-5 corridor, then the opiate epidemic.

Olympia doesn't have a homeless crisis. It has a drug addiction and mental health crisis. Olympia is the dumping ground for southwest Washington for every junkie who's burned every bridge. It's the dumping ground for severely mentally ill people (who also happen to use drugs), and whose families can no longer / unwilling to take care of them. And furthermore, it would behoove this town is we stop glamorizing f***ing drug use.

My kids are in high school and have seen throughout their lives, just how bad Olympia has gotten. Hell, their bus went through downtown every morning so they could witness the bums spread eagle in the morning all up and down capitol and 4th ave. Both of them have no desire to stay in this town after HS and college.

Nor do we.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Capital forest is a terrific resource for us, locally. That picture is one of thousands I have.

The forest is split in half. Hikers, bicycles and horses are allowed on half the trails, and the other half allows motorcycles and ATVs. So it's important to get familiar with the maps. Margaret McKinney Trailhead would be a good first trail for you, walking or riding, on the horse side. Look for the green trails, that's the horse side:

Capitol Forest Washington

Closer to you, is the forest up beyond the State Wildlife areas on Case Road. Our property actually borders that property on the other side.

https://www.trailmeister.com/trails/...wildlife-area/
I checked out Mima Mounds, Nisqualy Wildlife and Capital Forest. They all sound worth going to. Hiking first for sure, it would be a full day of exhaustion to take a horse out there, none are crazy about trailers. The hiking sounds great though. A photo op for sure.

I’ll check out the Case Road one too. Thanks for all this good info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington