Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 04:54 PM

15 posts, read 35,806 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were recently in Coupeville and found it to be really charming. We have a son in Bellingham and would like to relocate to be closer (but not too close) to him. My husband and I are retired so I think the Island area would work well for us.

While we were at the ferry the Growlers were doing fly overs and maybe touch downs (excuse me if I'm using the wrong terminology) and were quite loud as I'm sure all of you are aware. I have been reading through the comments looking for some up to date information and may have just missed it but was hoping someone could answer a couple questions. I'm not trying to start any arguments I would just really like to know how often they fly.

How often do the growlers do maneuvers? I saw that the number of planes on the base is/has increased so I'm sure they fly more often. Can someone tell me how often they are out, everyday? couple times a week? couple times a month?

Also how loud are they right in Coupeville? As loud as at the ferry terminal? A little quieter? louder?

I read the farther you go south the less you hear them. Are they loud in Langley?

My husband was a jet fighter mechanic so this isn't something that would knock the area off our shortlist but I would like to have some idea of how often they fly.

I would appreciate any other information you can give me on Coupeville, Langley and the area. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 04:30 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,784 times
The further you go south, the less you will hear them. From my experience, I usually only hear the Navy planes around Oak Harbor, and that is all day throughout the day. But usually it isn't too loud. It is more loud closer to the Navy base.

But in Coupeville it isn't nearly as often. I am not sure how many times a day, if that is even their occurrence. Langley it is nearly non-existent.

Things to consider is the lack of healthcare in Langley and most ambulances drive patients to Everett (ferry route) from Langley. In other cases they will go to the hospital in Coupeville which is currently expanding.

Shopping and goods, you actually have way more choice in Langley. Both inside town and outside town there are several markets and grocery stores. There is a hardware store near Greenbank and Freeland's shopping area is only a few miles away as well. There is also auto shops, etc.

Coupeville is more touristy and has a very limited assortment of stores for locals. They are mostly located across the main highway as well as bank and single gas station. You are about 20-30 minutes from Oak Harbor which has all the big box store shopping.

Not everyone is prepared for island life, but if you like that lifestyle, there is no match. It is wonderful and stress free. Best of luck on your decision making.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:33 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
Great post.
I'd like to hear more about Oak Harbor life.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Great post.
I'd like to hear more about Oak Harbor life.
Anything in particular you would like to know?

Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
Anything in particular you would like to know?
What's it like to live there, for retirees? Medical care. Golf courses(I know they're pretty good already.. Nightlife and favorite restaurants.
The best and worst about living there, especially in the bay view condos.

Thanks for asking!

Last edited by wolfdog; 04-05-2019 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Alrighty.

Oak Harbor for the most part is pretty laid back, like all of Whidbey. But it is more "urban" than any other part of the island. That said, it's pretty relaxing.

The Navy is huge in town and well loved. There are many events and specials for the Navy. Downtown Oak Harbor has recently been revitalized and is actually thriving with many local businesses.

Oak Harbor has to be on of the bigger "isolated" towns in the State without a hospital. There is no hospital in Oak Harbor so people all have to go to Anacortes or the tiny town of Coupeville about 20 minutes away. There have been attempts to get a hospital in Oak, but to no avail. Instead the county is investing on major upgrades to the Coupeville hospital. Oak Harbor has about 26,000 people, Coupeville has about 2,000. So it's weird they have the hospital.

Most all shopping can be done in town pretty easily. You have local grocery stores as well as chain stores like Walmart, Home Depot, all the banks, many eateries and fast food you would find anywhere like Subway, Taco Belle, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc. There is a few car dealerships including a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealer, but other dealers are located in Anacortes about 30 minutes away, or a bit further in Mount Vernon. If you need bigger shopping at, for example a Costco, people drive to Mount Vernon/Burlington. It isn't too far away.

Residential streets are quiet. Besides a few of the main roads, traffic is next to nothing and kids will play around the streets. It is a tight knit community where people care for each other.

I have never golfed on Whidbey Island, but Oak Harbor has two golf coursed within the town plus a smaller links course about five minutes north of town. There is a decent sized retirement crowd here and they must like it, or they wouldn't be here. ;-) It is more laid back and peaceful than a city on the mainland.

I don't know anything about the Bay View Condos.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
Alrighty.

Oak Harbor for the most part is pretty laid back, like all of Whidbey. But it is more "urban" than any other part of the island. That said, it's pretty relaxing.

The Navy is huge in town and well loved. There are many events and specials for the Navy. Downtown Oak Harbor has recently been revitalized and is actually thriving with many local businesses.

Oak Harbor has to be on of the bigger "isolated" towns in the State without a hospital. There is no hospital in Oak Harbor so people all have to go to Anacortes or the tiny town of Coupeville about 20 minutes away. There have been attempts to get a hospital in Oak, but to no avail. Instead the county is investing on major upgrades to the Coupeville hospital. Oak Harbor has about 26,000 people, Coupeville has about 2,000. So it's weird they have the hospital.

Most all shopping can be done in town pretty easily. You have local grocery stores as well as chain stores like Walmart, Home Depot, all the banks, many eateries and fast food you would find anywhere like Subway, Taco Belle, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc. There is a few car dealerships including a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealer, but other dealers are located in Anacortes about 30 minutes away, or a bit further in Mount Vernon. If you need bigger shopping at, for example a Costco, people drive to Mount Vernon/Burlington. It isn't too far away.

Residential streets are quiet. Besides a few of the main roads, traffic is next to nothing and kids will play around the streets. It is a tight knit community where people care for each other.

I have never golfed on Whidbey Island, but Oak Harbor has two golf coursed within the town plus a smaller links course about five minutes north of town. There is a decent sized retirement crowd here and they must like it, or they wouldn't be here. ;-) It is more laid back and peaceful than a city on the mainland.

I don't know anything about the Bay View Condos.
Very nice, and thanks.
Any information on bay view condos in general, would be great. We're also considering building a small house on city utilities. Location TBD. Prefer view of some kind, park nearby. Neighborhood recommendations?

Last edited by wolfdog; 04-05-2019 at 10:53 PM..

Old 04-06-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Very nice, and thanks.
Any information on bay view condos in general, would be great. We're also considering building a small house on city utilities. Location TBD. Prefer view of some kind, park nearby. Neighborhood recommendations?

I don't know how far out of the city that city utilities goes, but there is certainly property all around. A lot of acreage lots and many have pastoral or water views. You just got to hunt them down. Even 10 minutes out of town, there isn't any traffic going into town, so drives are easy and quiet.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:25 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times

Taco Belle, eh? I stopped in this morning at one of our two local Taco Bell's to get an early morning snack. I asked if I could order off the Cravings Menu (everything $1). Everything but one item that doesn't come to mind they'd let me order off of the Cravings Menu. I ordered a Triple Layer Nachos and a Shredded Chicken Mini Quesadilla. Total was $2.00 plus tax. Wow - I bit in and was given a nice, early morning delight of hot, fresh, cheap taco delight!

That is the Taco Bell on the south end of town leading down south to El Paso on Highway 54, or west to Las Cruces on Highway 70. I was off work and cruising around, wanting to take a look at a 2017 Toyota Corolla iM in silver paint and 6-speed stick selling for only $14,950. The car has 21,312 miles on it. When you're talking Toyota you might as well just cross those miles off, though. The car will last 300,000 miles as long as I take good care of it.

The car wasn't in sight on the used car lot west of town on Hiway 70 towards Holloman Air Force Base - I will need to check that one out. But the early morning $2.00 snack was to write home for. Man, that guy scoured his skillet and served me some good, hot American/Mexican fast food that made an impact. McDonald's needs ta up their game, man. Their hamburgers suck.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Taco Belle, eh? I stopped in this morning at one of our two local Taco Bell's to get an early morning snack. I asked if I could order off the Cravings Menu (everything $1). Everything but one item that doesn't come to mind they'd let me order off of the Cravings Menu. I ordered a Triple Layer Nachos and a Shredded Chicken Mini Quesadilla. Total was $2.00 plus tax. Wow - I bit in and was given a nice, early morning delight of hot, fresh, cheap taco delight!

That is the Taco Bell on the south end of town leading down south to El Paso on Highway 54, or west to Las Cruces on Highway 70. I was off work and cruising around, wanting to take a look at a 2017 Toyota Corolla iM in silver paint and 6-speed stick selling for only $14,950. The car has 21,312 miles on it. When you're talking Toyota you might as well just cross those miles off, though. The car will last 300,000 miles as long as I take good care of it.

The car wasn't in sight on the used car lot west of town on Hiway 70 towards Holloman Air Force Base - I will need to check that one out. But the early morning $2.00 snack was to write home for. Man, that guy scoured his skillet and served me some good, hot American/Mexican fast food that made an impact. McDonald's needs ta up their game, man. Their hamburgers suck.
Taco Belle is as good as Taco Bell on every level. ;-) Just add a bit more fancy to it. I will even pay for your Taco Belle meal someday you come up here to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington