U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 15,314 times

Advertisements

Hello friends,

My wife and I and some friends are looking to homestead or live in the country within an hour from a city or town.

We are progressive/liberal/libertarian people (aka liberal minded but liberty/independence oriented, hippies) looking for similar minded people. We would like to live in an area where most of the people are tolerant of others rather than disapproving or unwelcoming to outsiders or people with different beliefs/cultures.

What cities/towns/neighborhoods on the Western side of Washington fit this vibe?

Thanks for your input!

-Stephen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 02:54 PM

8,226 posts, read 4,885,063 times
Thurston, Lewis, Grays Harbor, or Mason counties would all be very good choices.

Quote:
We would like to live in an area where most of the people are tolerant of others rather than disapproving or unwelcoming to outsiders or people with different beliefs/cultures.
If you mean this, you could fit in just about anywhere in the rural parts of Washington. We are very libertarian here. We have a mix of hippies and loggers, hunters and vegetarians. Parts of many groups and some staunch individualists, and we all get along pretty well where it matters. Here in Rochester, which is in SW Thurston County about 20 minutes south of Olympia, we have a great network of small farms and homesteaders who share and trade with each other through a local facebook group, through a grass-roots run fair spring and fall, and now through a new open air market on most Saturdays.

Many of our small timber towns took a hard hit from changes in the timber market and loss of sawmills, with many logs being shipped out instead of being processed here. But many of those towns are finding new life now, and Rochester, Tenino, Winlock, Bucoda, McCleary, Shelton... many others, are all nice little towns that are growing again, with thriving local businesses. If you have specific questions about those towns or any others, I'd be happy to offer what I know of them.

My two cents.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:04 PM

6,894 posts, read 5,557,953 times
Vashon Island is a throwback. If you can afford it, you would love it.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 PM

85,939 posts, read 79,137,238 times
The Olympic Peninsula, between Sequim and Port Townsend. It's farm country, but there are a lot of liberal/creatives in the area, involved in art, farming, marketing organic farm products, etc. Port Townsend doesn't allow big-box stores. Sequim has them, if you need them. Also look south of Pt T, around Chimacum. There are some old farms all around there, some that have fallen into disuse, as the older generation passes away. You might be able to pick something like that up, or rent an old farmhouse and work the land. You'd have to watch the RE market over time, waiting for something like that to come up. Or the rental market.

The area's become a retirement Mecca, and also a place for people just like you, so RE prices are going up. I have no idea what your price point is.

A cheaper area would be south of Olympia, in Southwest Washington. Closer to the coast, it can get really foul weather in the winters, but people do farm around there. Not sure how liberal/libertarian it is, way south of Olympia, though. You'd fit in better, along the north/northeast coast of the Olympic Peninsula, and environs.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:01 PM

7,351 posts, read 5,946,167 times
Look at:

1) The Chehalis River Valley, about midway between Seattle and Portland. Nearest mid-sized city: Olympia. See: https://extension.wsu.edu/graysharbor/ag/

2) The Skagit River Valley, about midway between Seattle and Vancouver B.C. Nearest mid-sized city: Bellingham. See: https://extension.wsu.edu/skagit/agriculture/

[This should be in the Washington forum.]

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 05-29-2019 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 03:59 PM

7,207 posts, read 6,842,570 times
From what the OP is describing, Port Townsend is exactly the opposite. I hear they're not very welcoming to outsiders.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
From what the OP is describing, Port Townsend is exactly the opposite. I hear they're not very welcoming to outsiders.
I have a good buddy who moved to Port Townsend and he says the people are awesome. He's a really good hearted guy, I'm sure that helped. He told me after he moved there. "I love boating, I love hippie women. This place is the perfect combination of that. I'm in heaven".

Old 05-30-2019, 02:52 AM

7,207 posts, read 6,842,570 times
Well, cool then. Ya learn something every day. I wonder if the information I heard involved someone's lamely- received politics...or... something. PT seems like a cool place ta me.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:07 AM

85,939 posts, read 79,137,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
. That's silly; Pt T is awash in outsiders. I'm an outsider, and I was welcomed when I spent about a week and a half there, as a prospective resident. In fact, about half the "insiders" there were once outsiders from Seattle or California, 20 or 30 years ago.

There's an organic farm outside of town, that sounds like it would be just the OP's kind of people and environment. I imagine there's more than one, as you head west from town. Heck, there's an organic farm right IN town. Here's one south of town: "an intentional community and permaculture farm".
https://threepeasfarm.com

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-30-2019 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-30-2019, 11:41 AM

Very interesting and talented "gypsy family" in Port Townsend area: https://www.ptleader.com/stories/fam...-hadlock,38290
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or