U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 09:37 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,999,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think your premise is a bit off. Eastern Washington is just as reliant on tourism as Western Washington. So my point is valid for a large number of people.

Forest Service employer, logger or farmer? Not sure I get the connection. If farming includes the billion dollar wine industry in Eastern Washington then you are certainly out of touch with what makes Eastern Washington tick. A blanket statement that "Eastern Washington is not reliant on tourism" is just plain incorrect.
You can cherry-pick my words however you want. I said MOST of Eastern Washington is not reliant on tourism. I certainly didn't imply the "farmer" in my example was in the wine industry. The much-bigger-than-the-wine-industry wheat farmers in the Palouse are certainly not reliant on Coasties visiting their fields.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 10:26 PM

9,300 posts, read 7,552,434 times
Ok so what is your point?

You say wheat farmers are not a tourist draw. Yeah duh. But you say eastern wa is not reliant on tourism. Care to back track that one? Seriously.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,639 posts, read 72,546,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
You can cherry-pick my words however you want. I said MOST of Eastern Washington is not reliant on tourism. I certainly didn't imply the "farmer" in my example was in the wine industry. The much-bigger-than-the-wine-industry wheat farmers in the Palouse are certainly not reliant on Coasties visiting their fields.
A few examples of where we (and many west side friends/family) spend money on the east side of the mountains:

Leavenworth
Lake Chelan (where many from here own property)

Wenatchee area fruit stands
Potholes State Park
Lake Wenatchee
Various Wineries, favorite is Chandler's Reach in Benton City
Grand Coulee Dam
Riverfront Park/Spokane Falls
Lake Roosevelt
Lake Osoyoos
Ohme Gardens

Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Ok so what is your point?

You say wheat farmers are not a tourist draw. Yeah duh. But you say eastern wa is not reliant on tourism. Care to back track that one? Seriously.
My point (which I thought was fairly obvious) is that your post implied that people from Western WA are gracing us here in Eastern WA with your presence by clogging our roads on summer weekends by bringing your tourism dollars. We live in Eastern WA, not Orlando, FL. I'm implying that your presence isn't as beneficial as you seem to think it is.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
A few examples of where we (and many west side friends/family) spend money on the east side of the mountains:

Leavenworth
Lake Chelan (where many from here own property)

Wenatchee area fruit stands
Potholes State Park
Lake Wenatchee
Various Wineries, favorite is Chandler's Reach in Benton City
Grand Coulee Dam
Riverfront Park/Spokane Falls
Lake Roosevelt
Lake Osoyoos
Ohme Gardens
Okay. So you literally just named all the tourist traps in Central WA. In other words, you just made a list of the places that most people in Eastern WA avoid in summer weekends. I think you missed Walla Walla and Winthrop and you would have the whole list.

There's a whole lot more people around those areas that have been working in those same areas that don't benefit from the tourists, but still suffer the consequences of them pouring over the mountains - like the OP, for example.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:13 AM

9,300 posts, read 7,552,434 times
Quote:
My point (which I thought was fairly obvious) is that your post implied that people from Western WA are gracing us here in Eastern WA with your presence by clogging our roads on summer weekends by bringing your tourism dollars. We live in Eastern WA, not Orlando, FL. I'm implying that your presence isn't as beneficial as you seem to think it is.
I think you are confused about my earlier posts. I live in eastern Washington.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,639 posts, read 72,546,979 times
Quote:
Okay. So you literally just named all the tourist traps in Central WA. In other words, you just made a list of the places that most people in Eastern WA avoid in summer weekends. I think you missed Walla Walla and Winthrop and you would have the whole list.

There's a whole lot more people around those areas that have been working in those same areas that don't benefit from the tourists, but still suffer the consequences of them pouring over the mountains - like the OP, for example.
Yes, I did forget Winthrop but actually have never been to Walla Walla. We have the same problem here too. The summer tourists and cruise passengers clogging up the Seattle area, and many residents and people that work here do not benefit from them. Just one of the inconveniences of living and/or working in a popular tourism area.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:11 PM

12,294 posts, read 9,018,310 times
Quote:
Theme park or not, it's myopic to think you only benefit from tourist dollars if you work in the tourist industry. Money spent in your town, and surrounding towns, on gas, food, recreation, lodging, roadside attractions, supports the whole area, not just those who collect the money today.

Everyone rides the local economy. Not just the waitress at the local diner.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Theme park or not, it's myopic to think you only benefit from tourist dollars if you work in the tourist industry. Money spent in your town, and surrounding towns, on gas, food, recreation, lodging, roadside attractions, supports the whole area, not just those who collect the money today.

Everyone rides the local economy. Not just the waitress at the local diner.
Of course, you're right, but it's not binary - it's not whether you benefit or you don't benefit, it's a sliding scale. In Orlando, FL, almost everyone benefits significantly from tourism. In a town like mine, I may benefit, but it's only very indirectly and very minimally and would not cause too much of a hardship if the small amount of tourism in my area dried up completely.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 PM

16,420 posts, read 53,679,443 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom...hington_(state)

According to this table from Wikipedia, I would say tourism is not that big a part of the state economy on either side of the Cascades. Sad to say that "Government" is our biggest "product" though: (I tried to paste the table and it didn't work - just follow the link to see what I am on about.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington